Post Dentist

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by NyroFan, Mar 16, 2006.

1. NyroFan

NyroFan New Member

Hello all:
    I woke up with a horrible toothache all of Tuesday night.
    Wednesday I got an emergency appointment at the dentist.
    Yesterday I was zonked out and three thousand dollars poorer. Two root canals, two crowns, etc. I feel like I was robbed.

My question is this: I feel as though I should rest after all the hustle and bustle of the last few days. It was enough activity to last me for the whole month. What do you do after going to the dentist? Life goes on as normal? Extra rest? Anything to take to ease up on the swelling?
    Basically, do you have a 'dentist routine' that you follow after going?

Thank you,
    NyroFan
  2. Pianowoman

Pianowoman New Member

Nyrofan
    That's a lot of dental work in one day! About a year ago. I had all my fillings replaced so I was going to the dentist frequently. I found that I had to get extra rest afterwards. I found that Traumeel was very helpful for the swelling and pain.
    I think the best thing is to really listen to your body. You have gone through a lot and you need to be good to yourself for a little while.

Hope you feel better soon
    Kathy.
  3. libra55

libra55 New Member

Nyro I have a flare up every time I go. Even getting them cleaned sets me off. I had two crowns done in 6 months. I just went three weeks ago to finish off the second crown. My neck and back still ache from it.

My dentist knows I have FM and is really accommodating about it. However, dentistry is such a multi-sensory experience. The needles, the anesthesia, the drill, the smells, the tastes, the uncomfortable position of the neck, and just the anxiety in general all combines to produce a very unpleasant experience for most of us.

I try and schedule my appointments for a week I don't have much else going on, that way I have some recovery time. My dentist will usually give me a pain prescription too if it's a major procedure. I also stock my pantry with very soft easy to prepare foods before hand. Warm salt water rinses help too. When I have been really stressed my doctor gave me some Ativan to take beforehand and I had someone drive me but most the time I don't have to resort to that.

Hope this helps you.

(((((((Hugs)))))))
    Michelle
  4. NyroFan

NyroFan New Member

Michele and Kathy:
    Thank you for the encouraging words and tips.
    I am afraid that a flare is setting in. I did not want to think it was related to the dental work, but I feel a slow descent into the realm of pre-flare. It is different from just waking up with a flare or having one hit right away.
    Mine seem to be a descent, down.

Like you said: the sensitivity, the assault on the senses of the body. I do feel like screaming, but am keeping a level head because more work needs to be done. Thanks for letting me know I am not a big baby.

Hugs,
    NyroFan
  5. rosemarie

rosemarie Member

Call your dentist before doing anything. Find out what he wants you to do. I was given ibupprofen for pain and swelling and it really helped me but the dentist will tell you the amount that you should be taking.

I would use a ice pack on the cheek that hard all the work done and besure to place a soft cloth on you skin so prevent it from burning from the ice taht you will be usuing. Get lots of rest and sleep. take it easy for a few days. Follow your dentist's instructions to the letter. If the ibuprofen does not help with your pain,call the dentist for anything stonger. I usd a ice pack most of the times as it will reduce your swelling , if you should have problems always call you dentist. I wish that I could give you more helpl. So take just take care of yourslef getting lots of rest and eating well.

TAke care and remember to eat good meals and follow all instructions that you were given
    Rosemarie