Post-Exercise Fatigue -- flu like symptoms. What gives?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by ericdinbstn, Aug 9, 2006.

1. ericdinbstn

ericdinbstn New Member

Yesterday I tried the exercise thing again. I did 15 minutes on the eliptical and 20 crunches. I used to do 4x this amount of exercise before my latest fibro flare. Yesterday I felt great right after the workout, but as I showered and got ready to go to work, I began to feel tired. Then as I was sitting in my office I felt hot and cold and clammy. It felt like I had a fever. I took my temp and it was actually 95-96 degrees. I felt awful. I left work and went home to bed. I slept most of the day. Then slept for 12 hours last night. Today I feel better, but still kind of groggy. Does anyone else have this after exercise? I want to integrate exercise back into my life, but if this is the effect I dont' know how. Any advice?

Thanks

Eric
    [This Message was Edited on 08/09/2006]
  2. Rosiebud

Rosiebud New Member

post exertional fatigue is one of the main symptoms of CFS - I just cant exercise anymore or I pay for it with pain, exhaustion and days in bed.

Take care.

love
    Rosie
  3. barbinindiana

barbinindiana New Member

I agree with other here. It sound very much like you may be delevoping CFS. I and my sister both had FMS, and went on to develope CFS.

I hope this isn't what is happening to you, but I would take it easy on the exercising for awhile. If this is CFS you can make it much worse if you push yourself when you're experiencing these symptoms.

Barb
  4. caroleye

caroleye New Member

I still haven't adjusted to what you've just experienced. Went from a huge athlete all my life; down to running 2 miles a day; then to racewalking; then to tai chai; yoga, and now "nothing". (Unless I get on a horse!!)

Even stretching will put me down. Picked some flowers last week, and ended up with putting my back out!!!

Took me 25 years to get to this stage, so hopefully yours will balance out with a little downgrading

Back in the 80's Dr.'s were recommending lots of "exercise"!! Absolutely the opposite.

LIGHT*************carole
  5. Callum

Callum New Member

Since I developed CFS, I cannot tolerate "aerobic" exercise at all.

Now, when I say that, I mean running, the stair master, speed walking, cycling. I don't mean walking distance at a steady gate.

Before the DD, I ran 6 miles a day 2 days a week, and did 45 minutes on the stair master 3 days a week. Even after 12 years after contracting/developing CFS, one minute on the life cycle causes four days of symptoms.

However, lifting weights has been a life-saver for me. By isolating the muscle groups, I have been able to build up a daily 45 minute routine. I have to do chest/triceps one day, back/biceps another day. Forget legs - I can't do 'em, even the smallest amount of weight causes a flare.

Before the fatigue set in, did you notice a "dryness" in your mouth and eyes? That's my signal I've pushed it.

Callum
  6. ericdinbstn

ericdinbstn New Member

I've been wondering if I'm developing CFS for a long time now. I'm going to make an appointment with my doc to discuss. He's well versed in FM and CFS so we'll chat. The onset for me was just suddenly feeling extremely drained and then hot, and clammy like I was developing a fever.

I just want to go on record and say that I HATE THIS!!! Before this latest flare, I was doing 45-60 mins 5-7 days a week on the elliptical and weight training 3 days a week. Now I can't do anything.

What about Tai Chi, yoga, or pilates? Anyone have experience with these?

Eric
  7. cczub

cczub New Member

I've been noticing if I do anything strenuous like yard work and stuff in the morning I'm shot for the rest of the day... When I first start I feel good but after an hour or two I just hit a brick wall.. It happened yesterday cutting down the weeds at work. I worked outside for 2 hours and left work early and couldn't get out of bed the rest of the afternoon. Same thing this past Saturday.. I worked on my boat for 3 hours then couldn't get out of bed at all on Sunday..
  8. brock

brock New Member

I still am able to maintain an exercise routine of about 3 times per week. Granted, these workouts are nowhere near the intensity they were back before I developed FMS.

I do get extreme fatigue. I don't if it is from exercise or just another symptom of FMS. I do, however, suffer from a lot of pain which I know is caused by my exercising. That being said, I think I suffer from more pain when I don't exercise. Sure, it is very easy while feeling so much pain not to do anything -- let alone exercising. If I can force myself into the gym , however, over time I don't feel as bad.

The pain I feel now comes about two days after working out. Before FMS I would usually suffer the day after and it was the GOOD pain, not what I experience now. I listen to my body attentatively now that I suffer with FMS. There are days when my body says "don't do anything today" and I listen.

To sum up, I think it is wise of you to want to get into exercising. It will certainly be beneficial in the long run -- just pace yourself. Listen to what your body tells you. If you suffer from extreme fatigue then take that as a sign to get some rest.

Good luck!

brock
  9. gracepartaker

gracepartaker New Member

All of this is such a good reminder of how slow we have to take it which is counter intuitive. I can slowing walk about 5 minutes and that's it. It is so tempting to go more. Especially because I watch myself gaining weight.

But every time I over do it I PAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    I have to go on record too THIS IS HARD.

Blessings to all for their helpful input. Sally
  10. sascha

sascha Member

i started a chain or whatever it's called (see 'exercise input, (looking for)' because this is a huge issue for me. i am trying to build up my health as much as possible through diet so that i CAN do more exercising. i am at high enough functioning level at this time for aerobic approaches- i can ride my bike for a while. i do gentle floor stretches and push-ups from the knees whatever days i am able to.

Bruce Campbell has a book out on managing energy. he has many strategies for building your endurance and well-being. he cured himself of CFIDS from discovering and implementing this approach, then offering it to others.

i've also heard directly from CFIDS patient who did it through an extremely cautious and gradual approach to weight-lifting gradually built her strengh back to the point she could return to work full-time. her thought was that building anearobic muscle mass got her back up over the edge of the push and crash cycle.

i'm determined to keep trying to get myself better so i can exercise and enjoy my life more. i am a believer that finding the best diet and supplement approach FOR YOU is key to all-over improvement with our health and well-being.

good luck! sascha
  11. zion1971

zion1971 New Member

if you are feeling this way from exercise, stop and recover. it sounds like you have developed CFS. Malaise following exercise or any type of physical exertion is a major symptom. if you aren't careful, you could end up in a bad flare. people with fms actually feel better (eventually) following a consistent exercise regimine. cfs sufferers are the total opposite. it has been scientifically proven that we can tolerate exertion only in short increments, like 5-10 minutes at a time. we then need to recline and rest for a while. then MAYBE do another 5 minutes. and that is it. dr. charles lapp in north carolina has some data on this. i attended one of his seminars but don't know where to suggest you find information. sorry.

this is not a fun way to live, but i have had cfs for 8 years. learning this and heeding the warnings have given me some type of life. now, just being able to walk around during the day has to count as my exercise. i cannot do anything else. the last time i tried i had a flare that lasted about 6 months. so please be careful.

i know this is long but i hope i helped some.
  12. Lolalee

Lolalee New Member

Eric, I am really sorry to hear about your experience with exercise. It is truly discouraging to do something which you think should help your body and then end up the worse for it.

I have never been able to find any type of exercise that has not sent me to bed with a flare. I've had FMS and CFIDS for at least 8 years. However, let me say this. I have never tried an exercise program under a doctor's supervision and I end up overdoing it. For instance I tried a water aerobics class that was for senior citizens. I thought, great I can do this. Ok, I'm no spring chickie, but those seniors were running circles around me - literally. It was a bit embarrassing, so I found myself trying to keep up with their pace. They had to help me out of the pool. It was not a shining moment for me. Plus, not only did I feel awful immediately (and I'm not talking about my self-esteem..that goes without saying), I ended up in a long and nasty flare afterwards.

Once I recovered, I decided to try walking. I overdid it again. I have a new doc who promises she can get me on an exercise program that will help and not hurt me.

zion1971 mentioned Dr. Charles Lapp. I Googled him and found lots of helpful info.

Eric, I wish you the best of luck. Don't think you have to quit exercise. Talk to your doctor and find a regime that will work for you.

Lolalee[This Message was Edited on 08/10/2006]
  13. Riponer

Riponer New Member

I too have been fighting with my body to get back into an exercise regime. It takes a while but just keep doing it as many days as you can for short periods until you do it for longer periods. At first I started three days a week for 15 minutes and now I am up to 4 days at 35-45 mins on the treadmill and I through in a pilates class. I still have some days where I am flu like but it is nothing like it used to be. So, from my experience I would say, don't quit, it will help in the end, you just have to take it slow to get there and not try to do too much. Kim
  14. blueski31717

blueski31717 New Member

I also have been dx. with FM for about 10 years now. For many years every time I try to exercise I have that flu-like achy-ness but then sometimes I just feel like I can't move another muscle. This will last a couple of days. I tried the whole drug thing but working as a nurseit was hard to function with the foggyness the med. made.I have never been able to do a routine exercise program because I don't know from one day to next how my body will react. One day I walked at a slow pace 30 minutes and put me in bed for a week with swollen leg. Help too.