post exertional malaise: what do you think causes it?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by jenn5, Oct 3, 2006.

1. jenn5

jenn5 New Member

I personally think it may be related to:
    -adrenal exhaustion
    -somehow worsening orthostatic intolerance, causing those particular symptoms
    -or, perhaps the virus/viruses/stealth infections we might have takes over the body when we put it under physical stress

What are your ideas, and observations in your own life? What have you done that has reduced or eliminated your problems recovering from physical activity/stress (coping and/or meds and supplements)?

Thanks for your answers!
    Jenn
  2. jenn5

jenn5 New Member

bump

interesting...
  3. angeldust

angeldust New Member

I think its because our bodies can not detox properly. Exercise sets detoxification into action but our bodies can deal with all the toxins its trying to break down...results in sickness, aches, pains and a mass of neurotoxins to the brain causing a multitude of neurological symptoms.

My post exertional malaise has almost gone, for along time I couldn't really walk any distance at all. Its taken several years but now I do at least an hr a day walking and have just started going to the gym once a week!!
  4. Marta608

Marta608 Member

Absolutely! Exactly what Lamotta and Hayleycole said so well.

Marta
  5. mollystwin

mollystwin New Member

I have read an article recently by Paul Cheney about post external malaise and heart failure. The article suggests that CFS is actually heart failure and that when we "crash" it's our body's way of protecting our heart and that CFS actually protects us from heart attacks.

I found another article online called "CFS is Heart Failure Secondary to Mitochondrial malfunction". You can do a search to find it. It explains the theory and the effects of skin (thyroid), muscles, liver and gut, brain, lung, kidney and heart.

Please don't blast me for posting this! I'm not saying this is the reason, it's just a theory that some doctors are considering. You can do your own research and make up your own mind. I personally don't want to believe it, but many things in the article do make sense.
  6. cherylsue

cherylsue Member

Not only physical exertion, but mental exertion can bring on a flare or relapse as well. The brain uses up a lot of energy.

I think all of the above possibilites have merit. Dr. Cheney sees everything from a heart point of view. Didn't he have a heart transplant?

Dr. Teitelbaum sees it from a mitochondrial dysfunctional point of view. Yet, Corvalen, which he is now touting for CFS/FMS patients, originally was for use in heart patients. He is running a clinical trial on Corvalen D-Ribose.

I think my neurotransmitters are involved, too, because my head feels funky when I over exert. A lot of my CFS stems from the brain.

Good thread. Keep it going.

CherylSue
  7. mollystwin

mollystwin New Member

Hey, not only are we both twins, but we are both accountants too! What a coincidence! I actually work more in financial analysis now, but I do have to work with the financial statements, especially the balance sheet. When I am working that is! Right now I'm off recuperating from various infections until the holidays.

So needless to say, I understood your analagy perfectly and can use this to help explain this to my co-workers!
  8. mollystwin

mollystwin New Member

The article mentions DRibose as important for heart protection, so I make sure to do my corvalen twice a day! I found it pretty cheap on a dr's website the other day. I had been skipping many doses because it's a pain to mix and drink, but I do it faithfully now.

I did read that Dr. Cheney had a heart transplant. He mentions that he has never heard of a CFS patient needing one, so his theory on the post external maliaise protecting our heart seems to have some merit.

I know I read somewhere that the heart has lots of mitochondria, so heart failure due to mitochondria malfunction seems plausible. And Dr. Teiltebaum's theory sort of fits this too.
  9. cherylsue

cherylsue Member

Does the Corvalen help you with energy? How long have you been on it?

Thanks,

CherylSue
  10. mollystwin

mollystwin New Member

Yes, it does help with energy. That and coenzymeQ10. I have been taking both for about three weeks now and really noticed an increase in energy after about a week and even more as days go by.

I am also recovering from pnuemonia so, it could be that I have more energy from that too, but I know that the corvanlen and coenzyme Q10 protect the heart, so I feel safer taking them.

Almost forgot to say that I also use Mito Max with NT factor which is also very good for mitochondria support.[This Message was Edited on 10/05/2006]