Post from allie about fm and cfids doctor

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by allie2, Oct 4, 2002.

1. allie2

allie2 New Member

Doctor Jacob Tietelbaum is located at: 466 Forelands Road
    Annapolis, Maryland 21041. His fax number is (410)266-6104. His phone is (410)573-5389. Each patient is treated differently because each patient has their own special problems. The problems you may have will either be revealed through lab work or an extensive five hour visit. I am being treated for vitamin deficencies, sleep problems, low cortisol levels(which is fatal), hypoglycemia, yeast overgrowth(candida), fatigue, and stomach and intestinal problems, and the possiblity of herpes simplex. For my hypoglycemia i have been put on a high protein diet with no carbohydrates. I have also been taken off of products/foods containing sugar. Sugar can supress your immune system and add to yest overgrowth. Plus, sugar can be bad for certain hypoglycemic patients. For my sleep problems I have been put on Ambien also known as zolpidem(5 to 10 mg before bed),Desyrel also known as trazadone(50 mg) at bedtime, and Klonopin ( 1/2 mg increasing up to 6 tablets as needed at bedtime). I am taking a daily energy enfusion powder to help with fatigue and vitamin suppply. I am also taking vitamin B5, B-Complex, and B12 injections because i am deficient in vitamin B. I am taking Complete Gest Enzymes to help digest my food properly. I am taking lipoic acid which protects my liver while I am on Diflucan for yeast. Lipoic Acid is also helpful to some who may have hepatitis or cirrhosis. I am taking vitamin A for a two month period. Zinc sulfate 25mg 2 times a day for 6 weeks and then stop. L-Lysine for herpes and mitochondrial energy treatment. Acetyl-L-Carnitine which can be helpful for quite a few problems. Adreset, which contains ginger, for adrenal support. Valtrex for Herpes. Acidophilis(probiotics) to combat yeast overgrowth. Nystatin for yest and bowel symptoms. Well I am on approximately 40 treatments some being antibiotics hwever most are supplements, and some are for sleep and pain. There are too many to list. He uses a wide range of treatments for everybody. "Do not take these medications unless you have had the proper testing or instruction from your doctor. " Doctor Tietelbaum's initial appointment is $4500-$5800 plus medications. Your insurance may cover some of the visit even if he is not on you r preferred doctors list( I reccomend calling your insurance company to verify your plan). The medications and supplements can be expensive if you do not have insurance or a prescripton plan. However, Doctor Tietelbaum does go through an alternative pharmacy in these special cases that lower the costs of medication for those without insurance. He may also suggest some lees expensive treatments which will have the same effects. Every appointment after the initial appointment is $660 an hour. If doing good he only requires a check up every four months. Also, after the first appointment there is a number you can call to have any questions answered for free for about 2 months i believe. He accepts visa, mastercard, or personal check. Some medications he tries during the appointment to see if they have a positive effect on you. He explains alll positive and possibly negative aspects of treatment before you decide to go through with medication. He explains each medication in detail, what it is for, and possible side effects. He also tape records the session for you so you can have a tape to listen to if you may have forgot something. A paper packet will be given to you with all instructions on how to take each medication. Plus he will go over med usage during the appointment. He also does an examination during the appointment. You are welcome to bring family or friends in with you, he encourages it. Some treatments he uses are natural herbal treatments. He will also wean you off of treatments after you have been feeling well for some time; unless he feels you may need a few meds long term. Other than that i do not know what else to say. If you may find this very expensive you may want to consider loans and all insurance options. Think considerably about this if you are considering seeing him. I advise you to do some research on him and other doctors who treat this and related problems. However, I found him to be quite nice, informative, knowledgeable, and helpful.

Good Luck All
    *allie*
    [This Message was Edited on 10/04/2002]
    [This Message was Edited on 10/07/2002]
  2. allie2

allie2 New Member

Doctor Jacob Tietelbaum is located at: 466 Forelands Road
    Annapolis, Maryland 21041. His fax number is (410)266-6104. His phone is (410)573-5389. Each patient is treated differently because each patient has their own special problems. The problems you may have will either be revealed through lab work or an extensive five hour visit. I am being treated for vitamin deficencies, sleep problems, low cortisol levels(which is fatal), hypoglycemia, yeast overgrowth(candida), fatigue, and stomach and intestinal problems, and the possiblity of herpes simplex. For my hypoglycemia i have been put on a high protein diet with no carbohydrates. I have also been taken off of products/foods containing sugar. Sugar can supress your immune system and add to yest overgrowth. Plus, sugar can be bad for certain hypoglycemic patients. For my sleep problems I have been put on Ambien also known as zolpidem(5 to 10 mg before bed),Desyrel also known as trazadone(50 mg) at bedtime, and Klonopin ( 1/2 mg increasing up to 6 tablets as needed at bedtime). I am taking a daily energy enfusion powder to help with fatigue and vitamin suppply. I am also taking vitamin B5, B-Complex, and B12 injections because i am deficient in vitamin B. I am taking Complete Gest Enzymes to help digest my food properly. I am taking lipoic acid which protects my liver while I am on Diflucan for yeast. Lipoic Acid is also helpful to some who may have hepatitis or cirrhosis. I am taking vitamin A for a two month period. Zinc sulfate 25mg 2 times a day for 6 weeks and then stop. L-Lysine for herpes and mitochondrial energy treatment. Acetyl-L-Carnitine which can be helpful for quite a few problems. Adreset, which contains ginger, for adrenal support. Valtrex for Herpes. Acidophilis(probiotics) to combat yeast overgrowth. Nystatin for yest and bowel symptoms. Well I am on approximately 40 treatments some being antibiotics hwever most are supplements, and some are for sleep and pain. There are too many to list. He uses a wide range of treatments for everybody. "Do not take these medications unless you have had the proper testing or instruction from your doctor. " Doctor Tietelbaum's initial appointment is $4500-$5800 plus medications. Your insurance may cover some of the visit even if he is not on you r preferred doctors list( I reccomend calling your insurance company to verify your plan). The medications and supplements can be expensive if you do not have insurance or a prescripton plan. However, Doctor Tietelbaum does go through an alternative pharmacy in these special cases that lower the costs of medication for those without insurance. He may also suggest some lees expensive treatments which will have the same effects. Every appointment after the initial appointment is $660 an hour. If doing good he only requires a check up every four months. Also, after the first appointment there is a number you can call to have any questions answered for free for about 2 months i believe. He accepts visa, mastercard, or personal check. Some medications he tries during the appointment to see if they have a positive effect on you. He explains alll positive and possibly negative aspects of treatment before you decide to go through with medication. He explains each medication in detail, what it is for, and possible side effects. He also tape records the session for you so you can have a tape to listen to if you may have forgot something. A paper packet will be given to you with all instructions on how to take each medication. Plus he will go over med usage during the appointment. He also does an examination during the appointment. You are welcome to bring family or friends in with you, he encourages it. Some treatments he uses are natural herbal treatments. He will also wean you off of treatments after you have been feeling well for some time; unless he feels you may need a few meds long term. Other than that i do not know what else to say. If you may find this very expensive you may want to consider loans and all insurance options. Think considerably about this if you are considering seeing him. I advise you to do some research on him and other doctors who treat this and related problems. However, I found him to be quite nice, informative, knowledgeable, and helpful.

Good Luck All
    *allie*
    [This Message was Edited on 10/04/2002]
    [This Message was Edited on 10/07/2002]
  3. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

I am glad you like Dr. Teitlebaum and feel as though you got your money's worth. I hope all the meds and supplements are beneficial for you. There is some benefit in being able to get all the tests and exam done in one day.

I hope you don't feel as though we're picking on you, but I have to question starting so many meds at once. How do you know which one is at fault if there is an adverse reaction? By the same token, how do you know which treatment is working?

I have added one treatment at a time so that I can guage how each is working and how each is interacting with my other treatments.

Please keep us updated with how it is going. We are interested.

Love, Mikie
  4. TerriM

TerriM New Member

Allie2 -- I'm so happy for you that your treatment is working. I wanted to go to Dr. Teitlebaum, but know that right now with my HIGH SENSITIVITY, I could probably not tolerate one of the drugs, much less all of them at once! My doctor had said the same that one med at a time to make sure what the reaction is, but who knows. I do believe it is a very personal thing . . . each individual is different. we may get many of the same symptoms, but some of the underlying problems are not exactly the same. I am seeing a very good doctor in DC who is very openminded and willing to listen. He (after 12 other doctors who found nothing, listed in my chart that maybe i need Xanax, etc. . . . told me it was Psychosomatic . . . jeez! How can people be so narrow-minded) . . . one dr. even told me middle-aged women get hysterical (I was 37) and the ever present "you don't look sick") finally found the EDS and I do have insulin resistance and possibly low dopamine. He believes they are (not the eds of course) parts of the snowball effect and not the underlying cause. We are now checking cortisol -- Allie2 you said yours was low?? I think they believe mine could be high. Sounds like a great thing about dr. T is not all of the waiting after each test, each appt. etc.

Anyway, all the best to you and keep posting on your improvements.
  5. lilladybug

lilladybug New Member

Allie you have listed his fax number above

His office number is 1.410.573.5389
    I have also seen him and wish you all the best.

Lilladybug