Post nasal drip

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by IntuneJune, Oct 29, 2005.

1. IntuneJune

IntuneJune New Member

jlh had posted that besides pain, the #1 common complaint for fibromites was post nasal drip.

Will try to make this short:

From about April 04 to May 05, I was seen in walk-in's or ER's with symptoms requiring antibiotics and sometimes Prednisone. (Throat swelling, shakes, chills, yucky symptoms always with similar diagnoses: upper respiratory tract infection.)

Made an appointment with pulmonologist, he did cat scans of my sinuses, chest, blood work, etc. with the outcome on follow-up physical examination that I had chronic sinus infections. "Your sinuses must have been very painful over the year?"

"No, my chest hurt, my throat hurt, totally lost my voice for ten days, but my sinuses have not hurt."

The cat scan revealed that I had chronic sinusitis. (Also my immume system studies revealed.....I don't have one)

He put me on Singulair with the hopes of helping me with the sinus stuff (which I did not feel) but it has helped with the POST NASAL DRIP which I just thought was annoying.

Now, I hope I am not shooting myself in the foot, BUT, also I have only had one episode since June of being "sick" so only once in five months. That is a dramatic improvement.

We often talk about underlying infections....being part of our picture...... but with jlh's reporting that post nasal drip came up as such a prominent symptom.........

June
  2. IntuneJune

IntuneJune New Member

There have been other posts about this, but has a survey been done on the board with just this symptom?

June
  3. dreamharp

dreamharp New Member

I have had severe post nasal drip non stop for 17 years.
    I have never been able to clear it no matter what I have
    tried. I think I will try the singulair. My post nasal drip
    keeps getting infected from just sitting there so it is my
    number #1 complaint.

June, thanks for sharing.
  4. IntuneJune

IntuneJune New Member

Hummm...

You see, I am wondering since so many FMSers have been on and felt better after the initial herxing on long term antibiotics.....if maybe the root of the infection is the sinuses which has been undetected...... (This is not to exclude other sites roots also.)

I did not know I had chronic sinus infections.... the doc said "your sinuses must have been hurting....." But my whole body, as with all of us, was hurting so I did not pick up on the sinuses.

Did we poll this question??????

June

5. dreamharp

dreamharp New Member

What brand of garlic pills/capsules do you use? I have
    tried some for congestion but never had good results.
    How much do you take in 24 hours?

Thanks
  6. dreamharp

dreamharp New Member

7. dreamharp

dreamharp New Member

I have a Walgreens near my house. I think the key is
    to take enough of the garlic through out the day. I have
    always taken a acidophillus supplement. I sure hope it
    works. I get a lot of sinus infections.

Thanks for sharing what worked for you.
  8. jfrustrated

jfrustrated New Member

My doc. gave me this recipe
    Mix 1/4 cup filtered water + a tiny pinch of sea salt (NOT processed salt) +a tiny pinch of bicarb. of soda +2 drops glycene. Shake it up and use as a sinus/nasal spray as much and as frequently as you like. Too much salt in the mix could sting sensitive nasal tissue. No side effects: can use with any other med. the salt and bicard. help clean the sinus cavities and the glycene is a soother. I keep it by my bed and use 2 or 3 times a day - more if I am stuffy. I agree that CFS may have underlying infections and I have read that there is a high corellation between sinus conditions and CFS.