Post Op surgical appointment today

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by dzlady, Aug 8, 2011.

1. dzlady

dzlady New Member

I went in to see the surgeon today, for a post op follow up. She informed me that I had endometriosis. Shouldnt I have known that prior to surgery? Not that it really mattered because they took everything out, but I have wondered if I had it for many many years and no doctor has ever said anything to me about having it or suspecting that I had it.
  2. TigerLilea

TigerLilea Active Member

Chances are that your doctors didn't know until they did the surgery and found it then. My sister's endometriosis was found during her hysterectomy. It wasn't until they examined her uterus after the surgery that they discovered just how bad it was.
  3. pamelakc

pamelakc New Member

I myself often wonder why health professionals don't tell you everything about your own health! It doesn't make any since. Pam
  4. dzlady

dzlady New Member

I was actually doing rather well, that is, until this appointment and she took the stitches out. Since this was laproscopic and done with the robot I have 4 small incisions that have 1-2 stitches, except for my belly button, it had 3 or 4 stitches. I was laying on the table so I couldnt see what she was doing, but I sure could feel it and it hurt quite a bit. My husband said she wasnt gentle at all and it looked like it would be rather was. (This was not MY doctor, as my doctor was out that day)

She pulled the stitches and cut them. She left 3 or 4 of the actual stitches in, after being cut. I found one after I got home that wasnt even cut, so hubby had to cut it. I have 2 new bruises around my belly button from her pulling and cutting. I, now, cant bend over without extreme pain around my belly button.

I am seriously thinking about calling and seeing if I can get more pain meds, but yet, I dont want to have to rely on them.

I am having a flare, but its not too bad yet. Not sure if its not bad because of the pain meds or if I am having it because of the pain meds. I have to take a shower for another week, as opposed to baths, like I usually take. Hubby has been giving me a shower, because there are parts I cant reach (like legs, feet and back) from the pain and when I close my eyes when I rinse my hair, I loose my balance and start to fall. He holds me when I wash my hair, so I dont fall. (I have a wonderful man).

Wow...sorry, didnt mean to ramble on and on. For the most part, I am doing pretty well. The doctor will see me in 5 weeks for release and in another week, I should be able to drive, take a bath and do household chores, etc.

Thanks for everyone's support. I am sure after all the pain subsides, I will be a lot better overall.

5. dzlady

dzlady New Member

Pamelakc...It irritates me that health care professionals dont provide the patient with information about their own health. I have a good friend who had some tests and work done 2 years ago and then ends up back in the emergency room that she had been in two years ago. They THEN tell her that the tumor that she had 2 years ago has gotten bigger...what? She didnt even know about a tumor. Turns out to be stomach cancer! She finally had two surgeries a month ago to have the tumor removed, and is speaking to an attorney regarding malpractice because she was not informed of this tumor 2 years ago, when it was smaller. Hoping it hasnt spread.

BDT...My regular doctor wont prescribe narcotics and thats fine. I have pain medications that are working, for the time being. I have the percocets from the surgery (4 left) and take 1 twice a day. Usually when I get up and again around 6 pm. My belly button incision is healing, it started itching like crazy last night. I am sure the toothache will speed the healing as now I am also taking 500 mg amoxicillan 4x a day. The dentist is afraid that it might be infected because it broke so easily, and if its infected or abscessed, it will be extremely painful when they pull he wants me on an antibiotic for a week before he will pull it.

I thought I was going to have to go to the hospital last night. I started bleeding. I was told that I would spot a bit after the surgery, and I did for about 2 days. Last night, I was doing more than spotting. I thought I would wait until this morning and see what the bleeding was like, and I am glad I did. I am not bleeding this morning.

And yes, I have a terrific husband, Tom. He takes real good care of me. I tried to help him fix dinner last night, sloppy joes and french fries. He told me to go back in the front room and sit down. He fixed dinner and then brought me my plate. After I was done eating, he took my plate back to the kitchen. I just cant say enough good things about him. I found that one in a milllion.
  6. HeavenlyRN

HeavenlyRN New Member

I have a little suggestion for you. Last year I had abdominal surgery and it hurt like h*ll to stand up and take a shower.....not to mention the dizziness I occasionally experienced. I borrowed a shower chair from my mom. If you don't know anyone who has one, try your local ambulance. They usually have all kinds of things that have been donated: shower chairs, walkers, crutches, etc. When you don't need it any more, you can take it back.

It felt great to be able to sit in the shower and wash my own hair without feeling like I was going to fall down!

Good luck and I hope your recuperation goes well.
  7. dzlady

dzlady New Member

Not sure if its related to the hysterectomy or the estrogen that they put me on, but I have woken up everyday for the last week (at least) with a migraine headache. Today has been the worse though. This one isnt going away after a few hours like the others have. Maybe its because I was using the percocet and am now out, or what. But I was out of perc's yesterday and that migraine went away on its own. This one is so bad, I have been in tears, which doesnt help it any, actually made it worse. I have been to bed twice, restless and in pain. I am now sitting in my living room with the curtains closed and the lights off. The TV is the only light in here, and the volume is muted. I have taken my morning meds and I have also taken extra strength excedrin migraine and while its eased a smidge, I still have it. Except now its a bit more tolerable. I will be calling my gyn tomorrow to find out wth? I cant have these everyday. I have a family to care for (after I am healed) and three fluffy Poms that know when mama isnt feeling well. They are all here with me, such sweeties.

I have done some looking online and I have found that estrogen can cause migraines. If that's the case, I will either quit the estrogen or ask for something to control these migraines. I have also seen that hysterectomies help migraines...?

BDT, I cant do vicodin or loratab or their generic hydrocodone. They dont work for me and make me sick. Percocet is the same as oxy....dang it, cant think. Well, the generic is oxycodone, but they are highly addictive, so that might be why some drs wont prescribe it.

Anyhow, I guess I am going to try resting a bit more here and see if I cant get this to go away.