post time change

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Hawkeye, Nov 19, 2009.

1. Hawkeye

Hawkeye New Member

Does anyone else feel like they have falled off a cliff since the time change a few weeks back? I simply can not shake this fatigue and it is getting worse by the day.....

2. TigerLilea

TigerLilea Active Member

I actually like daylight savings time better. I get an extra hour out of each day as I still wake up at the same time year round.
  3. AuntTammie

AuntTammie New Member

the shorter, darker days always make me feel tremendously worse
  4. TigerLilea

TigerLilea Active Member

Have either of you tried using light therapy during the fall and winter months? A lot of people, regardless of whether they have CFS or not, find at this time of the year they suffer from SAD (Seasonal Affective Disorder). It only takes about 30 minutes per day in the morning and some people will notice a difference after only a week :)
  5. loto

loto Member

You said 30 minutes per morning.

Is it simply going outside in the sunshine for at least 30 minutes?

If so, I'm all for that!!!!

Please let me know if there's anything else involved.

6. TigerLilea

TigerLilea Active Member

Hi Loto - Light therapy is a light box that you sit in front of. It is high-intensity fluorescent light source that is meant to simulate daylight (2,500 to 10,000 lux, a unit of illumination). You sit about two feet away from it and let the light shine on your face for about 30 minutes each day.

7. loto

loto Member

that sounds nice to me!! I figured it wasn't just sitting in the sunshine, with winter coming on and all.
    So, do you think a tanning bed would be as beneficial? I've been thinking of that, but I wouldn't be able to go every single day to lay in a tanning bed, it would get pretty expensive.

Do you know if light boxes are sold anywhere?

8. TigerLilea

TigerLilea Active Member

Hi Lori - You can buy light boxes at drug stores, over the internet, and I would imagine hardware stores also sell them.
  9. joanierav

joanierav Member

tigerlilea, you said you look at the light box 2 ft away. does it hurt your eyes? i just had cataract operation and since then bright light hurts my eyes, if i dont wear sunglasses. and are they expensive? thank you, joanie
  10. TigerLilea

TigerLilea Active Member

I don't suffer from SAD, so, therefore, don't need or use a light box. From what I have seen while researching light boxes, they aren't a glaring, blinding light. I believe the lights have a diffuser so it is a soft light that hits your face. Just looking on the internet, they seem to start at around $89 US and can go up to several hundred dollars. There are tabletop models and adjustable floor models.
  11. victoria

victoria New Member

you may not want to use a light box until your eye surgeon gives you the okay, as it's the light entering your eyes that helps (altho you don't look directly at it).

"Lack of enough sunlight through the eye is thought to be a factor in the onset of SAD. Without light to stimulate the hypothalamus in the brain, various functions that we take for granted are affected, such as mood, sleep and appetite.

"The intensity of the light that enters the eye is important. Light intensity is measured in units known as lux. Sunlight in summer can be from 10,000 lux up to 100,000 lux. As the days grow darker and winter draws in, SAD sufferers may begin to notice various negative symptoms such as irritability, lethargy, overeating, anxiety, and lack of concentration, amongst others.

...SAD equipment should be level with the eyes, although it is not necessary to look into the light. In fact, reading, watching television and working on the computer can all be effective as long as the lamp is directed at the eyes.

Read more:
    (you'll have to copy/paste this in sections, remember to not let any blank spaces remain)

[This Message was Edited on 11/19/2009]