Post Viral Syndrome

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by GooGooGirl, Aug 28, 2003.

1. GooGooGirl

GooGooGirl New Member

I've read a few posts here about "post viral syndrome" and I was just wondering of anyone had more information about it or who got started their symptoms after having a virus.
    Two and a half years ago I had a 24 hour stomach virus and I have never felt good again. Once the virus was over with, I had constant nausea, so bad that I had to be put on prescription anti nausea medication. About 2 months later the muscle pain and everything else started. Can a 24 hour stomach virus trigger FM? This is all so confusing. I was a healthy person until I got that stomach virus.
  2. Madelyn

Madelyn New Member

I would like info on this too. My neice had mono a couple months ago, supposedly recovered, but keeps having swollen glands and low fevers. I'm worried about her. She's going back to college.
    Mad
  3. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Many of us with CFIDS had our illness triggered by a viral infection which didn't go away completely but left us with residual symptoms. Some have remissions, I did, but are never the same again. Fatigue, low-grade temperatures, chronic sore throats, swollen lymph nodes, and achiness and a flu-like feeling can hit over and over. This can worsen over time unless treated. It is necessary to find a good doc who will try to identify chronic stealth infections in the body. Until these infections are cleared up, it is impossible to heal. Bacterial infections are often mycoplasmas and viral infections are often reactivated Herpes-family viruses, like EBV, HHV-6, or CMV. Systemic fungal infections also need to be addressed.

In the meantime, it is essential to treat the gut with probiotics and digestive enzymes and to build the immune system with supplements like colostrum, undenatured whey, and possibly transfer factor.

If you go to the Home Page here, you can order a catalog which is really helpful because it lists the products according to your symptoms and you can see what is available.

Love, Mikie