Post XMRV Discovery, what do I do now?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by UsedtobePerkyTina, Oct 17, 2009.

1. UsedtobePerkyTina

UsedtobePerkyTina New Member

I see everyone trying to get tested. The way I figure it, I have this, so 95% chance I have the virus. So I am going on the assumption I have the virus.

Secondly, this virus makes so much sense as to cause. The doc, Mikovits, said this will explain all biological abnormalities seen in PWC and symptoms. I have a few unanswered questions on the cause and effect, such as dysautonomia, sympathetic nervous symptom etc. Maybe this virus does explain those abnormalities and I just don't know enough to reason the link to this virus. But I can see it fit with the other symptoms and biological abnormalities.

So I am going to put priority on the treatment regiment based on that assumption, that at least, addressing the virus or the immune system dysfunctions is at the root of all the other symptoms.

So I was thinking, I need to put high priority on effective sleep. We all know what we are supposed to do: go to sleep at the same time every night, do nothing stimulating- including computer and T.V. an hour before bed time, sleep med, etc. One night of lack of sleep affects the immune system by 50%. So to help my immune system, I need to put a priority on getting effective sleep.

Now, I was thinking of going back on supplements that boost natural killer cells and other parts of immune system. But here is my question, if this virus embeds itself in the natural killer cells, then if I take stuff to help the natural killer cells, am I also helping the virus? If I boost the immune system, am I helping the virus replicate itself?

2. jasminetee

jasminetee Member

That's an excellent question. I'll keep an eye on this thread. I'd like to know the answer to.

3. AuntTammie

AuntTammie New Member

I would love to know the answer, too

not to hijak your thread, but I have wondered something similar related to pregnenalone - I found out that my body is turning pregnenalone into cortisol instead of into the various sex hormones that it is supposed to turn into.....I was considering taking pregnenalone when I found out that my levels of it and the other hormones were low, but when I learned about the cortisol connection (and now that they are saying that cortisol can activate xmrv), I started thinking that taking more pregnenelone might just make the cortisol (and possibly the xmrv) situation worse
  4. UsedtobePerkyTina

Aunt, you are obviously more alert than I am. I just thought of the same thing you mentioned. We can look to HIV to see what to do. Isn't that great?

5. AuntTammie

AuntTammie New Member

actually I have been experiencing major brain fog the last couple of days - it is funny (amusing and odd) that in the midst of the fog I will suddenly have some completely coherent thoughts - wish I knew how they managed to make their way thru the muck?
  6. spacee

spacee Member

Not that I know anything natural to treat HIV, except perhaps the electrical zappers. (Do a google)

Dr. Cheney has found with some of his new testing methods that things that he recommended are actually NOT the denatured whey for example.

7. UsedtobePerkyTina

Well, one thing I found in helping immune system in fighting HIV is selenium.

8. AllWXRider

AllWXRider New Member

With a weak immune system (CFIDS), we can have all kinds of infections. You'll get a new one next week.
    The immune system is one of the most poorly understood systems of the human body. It has been known for hundreds of years that toxic metals: Lead, Mercury, will shut down the immune system. WWI the Russians used mercury for biological warfare, the also invented DMSA as their secret antidote. The germans later intercepted it and mass produced it.

Lead is antagonistic to calcium and can lodge in our bones. Bone marrow makes red and white blood cells, White blood cells are sometimes called B-Cells, (bone cells), they get trained by the Thymus to become T-Cells (thymus cells).

Mercury is just a bad neurotoxin. Its used in thimersol in vaccines to keep the virus dead. It also 60% of the metal in dental amalgams.

Nutrition is extremely important to recovery. Lots of fiber, variety of vegetables, filtered or RO water. Vegetable juicing is a way to supercharge the body.
  9. UsedtobePerkyTina

Ok, thanks for the instruction. Following your line of thought, then if I take Thymus protein, I am not helping the existing diseased NK Cells, but I am helping to create new ones. So, it should help me, not hurt me.

Ok, here is the game plan now.

1) sleep- I take Ambien CR and I do seem to be getting stage 3 & 4 now. Add the sleep hygiene into routine (no computer or T.V. after 10 p.m., never stay up after midnight, stretch, no caffeine at all) and take some sleep supplements.
    2) immune system- take thymus protein and selenium and do number 1. Increase Vitamin C (the ester kind) Drink lots of fluids.
    3) avoid stress which elevates cortisol which turns on this virus

But I have more questions:
    A. I have always noticed that my hormone cycle has a big impact on the way I feel. I saw that Mikovitz says that progesterone can also turn on the virus. So should I be taking something to suppress that hormone? Just not long ago I was taking something to boost it. Would it be better for me to boost estrogen and not progesterone? Does estrogen have a Yin Yang effect on progesterone?
    B. I take cortisol since mine was low. Should I stop taking cortisol since cortisol turns the virus on?

Not related to my treatment, but I have another question.....
    ok, so 67% have an active virus. 98% have the antibodies. The thought, if I am understanding the way this virus works, is that the virus is dormant until turned on. This is different from HIV which is active from the time of a person catching it. It just takes time for the virus to do enough damage to the person's immune system that AIDS and a secondary illness makes the person sick.

So let's say I have the XMRV antibodies but I don't have the active virus. Can I infect someone if they get my body fluids by sex, breastfeeding, etc.?

And, can the difference in illness severity between person to person, or even day to day in one individual, be explained by the virus switching from dormant to active state?

[This Message was Edited on 10/18/2009]
  10. AllWXRider

AllWXRider New Member

The naturalpathic docs think that it will take care of itself, given the right care. Dr. Oz thinks this way too.

ProBoost makes me feel better, I herx bad at first, but it helps. If thymic protien helps you, then continue.

I had a series of Myer's IV: 40 grams of C, Thymus extract, licorice extract. It helped, I was getting better. They're expensive. So I had to quit. The bowels can only absorb so much vitamin C, so it has to go via IV.

Have you been tested (urine chelator challenge OR fecal) for mercury and lead? Blood tests only show recent exposure, 6 weeks.

XMRV is spread through body fluids...but my wife isn't sick. Other CFS ppl have told me the same thing. Spouses are OK.

If you have taken antibiotics, you need to replenish the probiotics. Antibiotics kill off both good and bad.

It isn't known about how and which hormones fire up the XMRV. Perhaps take a minimal amount of the hormones. I know that cortisol is vital to life. Maybe take 1/2 tablet or 1/4th. Not much is known. Let's just keep on listening.
  11. TigerLilea

TigerLilea Active Member

No, Tina, we can't look to HIV and "see what to do". We don't have HIV. If CFS were anything like HIV, a good percentage of us would be dead by now.
  12. UsedtobePerkyTina

Now remember, 4% of normals have the virus or antibodies, I don't remember which. There has to be a trigger to turn it on, cortisol, an infection or hormones. So that doesn't mean your spouse isn't carrying the virus just because they aren't sick.

From what I understand, the similarity to HIV is:
    1. It is retrovirus, meaning it replaces its own DNA into the host's DNA. There are many retroviruses in humans that do not cause illness. But two others do cause illness: HIV and a human leukemia virus.
    2. Like HIV, XMRV attacks the immune system, particularly the T-cells and Natural Killer Cells. Some doctors have said that the immune system abnormalities are so much like AIDS, that CFS ought to be called the "non-HIV AIDS". (AIDS meaning acquired immune deficiency syndrome)

Since it is a similar type of virus and is attacking the same part of the body, the thought is that drugs that attack HIV might also work on XMRV. We need to remember that things are not clear cut when it comes to viruses. You can immunize for one type of virus and others that are similar will be hindered as well. Conversely, a virus can mutate, in fact almost all do, and an immune person can become sick again.

So the theory is that the close relation and similar function of XMRV and HIV may mean the anti HIV drugs might work. The theory is likely enough that studies are warranted.

13. UsedtobePerkyTina

But that doesn't mean I can't have a little fun.
  14. heapsreal

heapsreal New Member

we can still use antivirals to treat opportunistic infections like ebv etc and make good improvements, maybe decreasing the viral load of ebv, hhv6, cmv can help our bodies/immune system to control xmrv, its a round about sort of way and people previously have had some good success. Dont forget abx for mycoplasma etc. So we still need to be tested for these things too.
  15. UsedtobePerkyTina

And, maybe if the viruses are cut back, the immune system can relax some, allowing the XMRV to become dormant again.

Or do anti-virals work by stimulating immune system.