Post your recommendations for good books on CFS, health, diet, et

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by onedaymagpie, Aug 28, 2005.

1. onedaymagpie

onedaymagpie New Member

I thought it would be interesting to start a thread of good books on the topics of CFS, FM, health, diet, supplements, prescriptions, etc. So, please list books, what they cover, describe why you liked them, or did not like, and rate them 1 (bad) to 5 (great). Here are few:

Getting Well Naturally - Chronic Candidiasis, by Michael Murray, ND. Rating - 4.5
    Contains good information about battling candida, including through diet, supplements and meds. It is very reader friendly and well organized, so that you can find the information you are looking for quickly. It also has good, easy to understand explanation and is written in a straight-forward manner.

Tired - so Tired and the "Yeast Connection," by William Crook, MD - 3.5
    Also about candida, but I found this book's information to be less direct. He does give a lot references for the statements he makes and provides excerpts from other doctors and their studies, but IMHO he provides more of this and of case studies than is needed.

The Pill Book, Rating - 4.
    Contains a listing of prescription medication, what is it for, how it works, what to be careful about, drug interactions and side effects. It is a good general reference book that I have used a lot, but the information is in summary format.

with peace,
    Maggy
  2. jess

jess New Member

I just read Viral Immunity by J.E.Williams. Great info about how to improve your immune system, natural ways to fight viruses, how much to take and specific products. Also, Dr. Mercola's total health program. This is about finding your metabolic type and eating and avoiding certain foods. Basically it's about eating healthy. I'm not sure I buy into metabolic type diets. It was interesting though. Another one is The Ph Miracle by Young and Young. This one is about eating a high alkaline diet, lots of veggies, some grains but little fruit and no meat. I couldn't stay on their type of diet. It's strictly vegetarian. I need protein. Of course emphasizing veggies is important. If I could eat Young's diet I might lose weight though. I would probably feel like I was starving though. Soup and salad for breakfast somehow is not very appealing to me. (Just my opinion) Jess
  3. jenn5

jenn5 New Member

Never Be Sick Again by Raymond Francis is an excellent book

The Maker's Diet is also very helpful
  4. Rene

Rene New Member

Well not a book but the video "I Remember ME" on CFS that Siskel and Ebert gave two thumbs up and the film won awards at the Sundance Film Festible.

I asked my library to buy the video and they bought two!!
    Rene
  5. Smiffy

Smiffy Member

'The First Year - Fibromyalgia' is very good, however long you've had FMS or CFS. 5
  6. Rose_Red

Rose_Red New Member

written by Dr. Roland Staud
  7. lbconstable

lbconstable New Member

My favorite still is, "From Fatigued to Fantastic" by Dr. Jacob Teitelbaum.

8. mjwarchol

mjwarchol New Member

I agree, I think my favorite is From Fatigued to Fantastic.

Another one I like "Fibromyalgia & Chroni Myofascial Pain Syndrome a Survival Manual" by Devin Starlamyl, M.D. & mary Ellen Copeland, M.S.,M.A.

And for those applying for SS Disability "Nolo's Guide to Social Security Disability" by David Morton III, M.D.

Let's not forget the books that are just good for us because they make us laugh and take our minds off the DD, there are too many of those to list, but they are just as helpful.

M J
  9. shelbo

shelbo New Member

Excellent book! Very comprehensive, easy reading (even with my headaches)...there is a big emphasis on Candida but also other things that burden the immune system. She cleverly uses the image of a ship as the immune system and cargo as all the different stressors eg. viruses; candida; blood sugar; thyroid function; stress; hyperventilation etc. There is also practical advice and menus, supplement advice, exercise advice which are aimed at ditching the unwanted cargo.

She is a Christian but that doesn't mean that those who aren't Christian cannot get a lot out of the book. However, there is a chapter right at the end which is aimed at Christians which you can read if you like. I personally get a lot out of this book and being a Christian, really appreciated the Christian perspective she brings in her final chapter. She had Chronic Fatigue herself at one time.

I like a book by Leon Chaitow aswell but I have forgotten the title...could find it on Amazon, a/o who's interested!

HTH, Shelbo X
  10. fairydust39

fairydust39 New Member

My favorite two books, isn't on Fibro but a wonderful book to read called "90 Minutes in Heaven" rated(5) I just loved this one. Also the "Yada Yada Prayer Group" which is a series of four books, I'd also give it a (5)rating.It was a truly wonderful series of books. I just ordered # 4
    Hugs Shirley
  11. LittleBluestem

LittleBluestem New Member

I visited my mother this afternoon and she had Oprah on the T.V. Oprah had a very interesting guest who was the author of a book titled something like "Your Body: An Owner's Manual". The guys name was pronounced Dr. Oz, as in 'The Wizard of". Don't recall his first name.
  12. cerise

cerise New Member

The 2 books I keep nearby and always recomend I'm happy to see have already been mentioned here.

FOR FIBROMYALGIA -- anything by Dr. Devin Starlnyl (sp). The book mentioned earlier is the one I have and the best book my hubby ever got for me.

The other book is a MUST for anyone with CFS. I treat mine like a research book, always picking it up to cross-reference or find out about someone in the medical field's role in the early days of CFS.

Having been diagnosed in 1987 and having lived in Incline Village prior to that HILLARY JOHNSON'S book OSLER'S WEB is thorough, accurate, & an eye opener as to how the problems and lack of respect PWCFS and CFS itself have come to be. OSLER'S WEB is a journalists' documented history from the first cluster oubreak CDC responded to in Lake Tahoe, the CDC's creatio of CFS in 1988, and the subsequent support organizations, reserach scientists, medical doctors, government agencies, etc.

More people need to read Osler's Web and demand answers from Congress and the CDC.
  13. cbella

cbella New Member

14. qnjamie

qnjamie New Member

What are bumps?

I love the "Fibromyalgia and Chronic Myofascial Pain-A Survivor Manual" by Devin Starlanyl (5)

She also has written a book about self advocacy.
    She suffers from both of the conditions that she covers.
    The doctor who dianosed me originally (when nobody else knew what was taking over my body), told me to get that book.

I haven't read any of it but there is a book called "Fibromyalgia for dummies", I thought it would be a good one for spouses.

I do alot of reading online rather than books

Ultram helps with movement but doesn't help with pain
    Levsin is wonderful for IBS
    I also bought for myself a vitamin b complex, with many of the different B's. It has improved fatigueand some fog.
  15. ellikers

ellikers New Member

YAY! I just found this thread while I was searching for one about book recommendations. So glad I found it, because I was going to make one just like it (and I was trying SOOOO hard not to repeat an already existing thread) ;)

Sooo ... post away folks, I want more more more!! What books are helping you out by giving you vital information and support??

Here are mine:
    --"Sick and Tired of Being Sick and Tired: Living with Invisible Chronic Illnesses" (forget who it's by) is an amazing summary of the mental and emotional effects that living with a chronic has on the person who has it and ways to try and improve communication with doctors and family members and everyone else in our lives. Some of it was somewhat repetitive, but all in all, I highly recommend it-- it's very validating (I even asked my parents to read it so they could have a better idea what I was going through)

-- "Living Well with Chronic Fatigue Syndrome and Fibromyalgia" was first resource I reached in my search to figure out what in the WORLD was going on with me and my seemingly-never-ending health problems!! Very personable (written by someone who has had the illnesses she’s writing about) and it’s a great compilation of resources: symptoms lists, explanations of the processes for diagnosing and finding GOOD and helpful health care practitioners, introductions of different methods for treatment, personal experiences of folks with chronic illnesses etc etc etc.

-- “From Fatigued to Fantastic” by Jacob Teitelbaum, MD …. So much detailed explanations about the body systems, nutritional information and everything that I’m still sorting through it all!
  16. ~Sibyle~

~Sibyle~ New Member

"Fibromyalgia and Chronic Myofascial Pain-A Survivor Manual" by Devin Starlanyl

However, I absolutely ADORE the Harry Potter books. I can get lost in a book and for those few hours forget completely that I am sick. It is Heaven!