PostEarth Day News

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by homebod, May 20, 2008.

1. homebod

homebod New Member

I heard from a friend in San Diego that there was a huge Earth Day celebration at the Balboa Park and it took volunteers 3 days to clean up all the styrofoam and plastic trash. I don't know what it is going to take to get through to people.
  2. Cromwell

Cromwell New Member

that on Earth day here about forty homes locally had the herbicide man come and spray their lawns to kill the weeds and it was windy and raining.

I do think however, that if Earthday organisers had been in control they never would have sanctioned plastic, so not sure if this was official or run by the city?

I think the way to reach people is to have a film crew chose one house in the street, and everyone for a month dumps all their garbage etc on that lawn, has a marker showing the carbon used, etc etc then people may start to get it.

Love Annie
  3. Greenbean7

Greenbean7 New Member

I had to change a cartridge in my computer today. It is a Dell that uses 4 large cartridges, one black, one yellow, one cyan and one magenta.

The packages come with instructions to send back the empties FREE! They are recycled. I repackaged and put the box up for the UPS man. Then had to do a second cartridge (which did not make me a happy camper) and did the same with it.

The receptionist asked what I was doing so I told her I was sending them in to be recycled. She said she just threw her's in the garbage. I told her the company recycled them for free but she didn't seem to care.

I told her that these things are filling up our land fills (besides which they are packaged with styrofoam). Her response was she didn't care. I said her daughter would be the one to suffer in the long run and she daid her daughter didn't care either!

I figure there are probably about a million cartridges thrown out every day (ok, I made up the number, but I could see it being that many!). Think what a difference it would make if everyone recycled them!

I don't know what we have to do to make people understand that we are destroying our planet and it is the only one we have!!

Thank you, I feel better now that I've vented!

Greenbean (It ain't easy being Green!)
  4. Juloo

Juloo Member

I think the ones we have at the office are HP -- we have a highly graphics-oriented business, so we go through a lot of cartridges. I called, and they sent a big box that we can fill up and send back for free when it is full. I even take in the cartridges from our home printers to recycle.

I'm still working on my overload of catalogs. It's like trying to patch a broken dam with chewing gum!
  5. monica33flowers

monica33flowers New Member

Yep, I sell my old printer cartridges on Ebay. I save them up for a while and then put them together in a lot and I get a few extra dollars PLUS they are being reused!