Posting a couple of my reports here and would like opinions.

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by KarenL47520, May 21, 2003.

1. KarenL47520

KarenL47520 New Member

I know there are some very knowledgeable people here. I did a search on the net about the new doc I am seeing June 3rd and he is listed by Boston Medical Journal as in the top 100 spine docs so maybe I have hit on a good one. I hope so anyhow, I think the vet I take my critters to could do a better job than that jacka$$ pain doc I was going to. These studies were done 3-4 months ago and since then I was in a car accident, a minor one but non the less I was in a fender bender. I am really worried the hardware has moved because at times when I move it sometimes feels like something get a catch in my neck and then my shoulder and neck will just explode with plain, burning, sharp stabbing pain. I am having numbness in both hands now, ring and pinky finger. I have had 2 falls, bad ones, and the car accident. I kept telling everyone but it was like no one listens to anything I say. And pain doc said it was all phantom pain. I should have punched his lights out and said phantom pain not only strikes and hurts like hell doesn't it....

My reports and I would appreciate all the feedback you can give me.

CERVICAL MYELOGRAM:

CERVICAL MYELOGRAM AND POST MYELOGRAM CT WITH SAGITTAL, CORONAL AND FORAMINAL OBLIQUE REFORMATS.

FINDINGS:

1. C2-3: There is moderate left degenerative facet change. No disc herniation, central or foraminal stenosis. No nerve root cuts are seen.
    2. C3-4: No disc herniation, central or foraminal stenosis. No nerve root cuts.
    3. C4-5: Mild posterior central, right paracentral disc bulge. No disc herniation central or foraminal stenosis.
    4. There is very slight hypertrophic foraminal narrowing inferiorly on the left. On the myelogram, there is incomplete filling of the right C6 nerve root with mild nerve root cut. Only minor thinning of the left C6 nerve root is seen without nerve root cut on the left.
    5. C6-7 and C7-T1 levels appear normal.

CT OF THE NECK:

Axial images were obtained from the level of the skull base through the thoracic inlet. IV contrast was administered.

The patient is status post surgery with hardware noted anteriorly at the C5-6 and C6-7 levels.

The airway is unremarkable without evidence of significant asymmetry or compromise of the airway. There is no evidence of abnormal mass or fluid collection in the neck with no enlarged adenopathy noted. The parotid and submandibular glands are unremarkable in appearance.

There is facet hypertrophy at multiple levels with mild neural foraminal stenosis n the left at C2-3, on the right at C3-4, on the left at C4-5, and bilaterally at C5-6.

There is also central canal stenosis which appears to be most marked at the C5-6 and C6-7 level. Findings are based on spondylotic changes. An MRI and/or post myelogram CT would be more sensitive. Due to the fact that this patient has had recent surgery the post myelogram CT would be the best option for further evaluation of significant cord compression and/or disc herniation if this is of clinical consideration.

IMPRESSION:

1. POSTOPERATIVE CHANGES AS DESCRIBED ABOVE WITH ANTERIOR HARDWARE AT THE C5-6 AND C6-7 LEVELS.

2. MULTILEVEL NEURAL FORAMINAL STENOSIS AS DESCRIBED IN THE BODY OF THIS REPORT WHICH APPEARS TO BE MOST PROMINENT AT THE C5-6.

3. MILD-TO-MODERATE CENTRAL CANAL STENOSIS AT C5-6 AND C6-C7 SECONDARY TO SPONDYLOTIC CHANGES. A MORE SENSITIVE EVALUATION FOR DISC HERNIATION AND/OR SIGNIFICANT CORD COMPROMISE WOULD BE A POST MYELOGRAM CT.

2. KarenL47520

KarenL47520 New Member

3. Sissy123

Sissy123 New Member

I have problems in my neck like you, but no hardware. C6 sounds like it is the problem, your last 2 fingers going numb is c6 I beleive. I am going to the doctor in the morning to get an epidural between the xray machine so they can see exactly where they are going with the needled. I have numbness in my last 2 fingers and my thumb and these epidurals help for almost a year. Phantom pains are when you get a limb cut off. What is your doctor talking about? I have never heard of a actual living limb with phantom pains? Keep me up on your problems and I'll keep you up on mine. Sis
  4. KarenL47520

KarenL47520 New Member

tomorrow. He has got to give me something for this pain until I see the new doctor. I am so frustrated with this whole situation. Neurosurgeon who did my surgery got activated with the war. No other surgeon in that area will see me because I am Dr. Kern's pt and he did the surgery. No one in the office but physician's assistant and he is limited what he can prescribe for me. I call family doc and ask for pain meds, they tell me to call neurosurgeon's office, I call them and they tell me to call pain management doctor, I call him and get a big fat NO. I am so frustrated I want to scream. I feel like I am running around a freaking post!!!!!!!!!!! And in the meantime, I am the one who is hurting. I keep telling these people I was in a car accident and the pain has steadily gotten worse. When I told pain management doc I was in a car accident, he never even looked up or asked if I was hurt. How's that for concern?? God, I just want someone who will listen to me and do something about this pain. I can be sitting perfectly still and move and pain will just explode in my neck and shoulder. This is totally insane. Doctors are so dam scared someone is gonna get too many pills and either get addicted or sell them. Right now, the way I am hurting, give me the strong stuff and if I get addicted, we will deal with that further down the road but for now I need the strong stuff. I am taking Ultracet and Neurontin trying to cope with the pain taking those 2 meds. It isn't very helpful but at least it takes the edge off the pain. Man I am so sick of this. I want my life back.
  5. layinglow

layinglow New Member

Keep looking for another doc...even if you have to go to a neighboring city! There is no reason that you cannot have something stronger than ultracet and neurontin for the pain...good gawd! Seriously, do not give up.
    I went through a bunch--of uncompassionate docs, and finally found one who will manage my pain. I have fm/cfs and cervical probs such as you do.
    I can honestly say I know the pain you are in...
    Don't give up....keep searching..
    LL (a karen, too)
  6. Stillkicking

Stillkicking New Member

Karen, I used to have a lot of cervical spine pain also. I'll bet the muscles in your shoulders and back are very contracted and sore. This can effect the neck a great deal. What I did was work on all connecting muscles with gentle massage and acupressure. This may be slow but is effective. This will benefit you greatly whether or not you require surgery.
    Wishing you the best.
  7. ABLUV

ABLUV New Member

Hi gang! I'd like to know what were the first symptoms you noticed before the doc said you had cervical stenosis.
    Does it start with tingling all over? or is the tingling in
    one place? Does it cause neck and shoulders to tire easily? How does this problem progress?

Sure appreciate anything you can share with me.

ABLUV