POSTING IN CAPITOL LETTERS

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by CATLADY912, Jun 6, 2003.

1. CATLADY912

CATLADY912 New Member

THERE IS NO RULE AGAINST POSTING IN CAPITOL LETTERS. FOR ME ITS NOT INSULTING OTHERS OR SCREEMING. I DO IT BECAUSE RIGHT NOW IT IS EASIER FOR ME TO READ SINCE MY EYE HAS A CATARACT ON IT. I'M HAVING IT FIXED NEXT WEEK BUT I ALSO KNOW THAT PEOPLE WITH PROBLEMS WITH THEIR EYESIGHT, IT IS ALSO EASIER FOR THEM TO READ. JANICE

GENTLE HUGS,
    JANICE
  2. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

We have had a number of members with eye problems who must post in caps. To help the rest of us, we request that you do not post long paragraphs but rather break them up.

Marilyn is our resident computer guru and she, or some other computer-savvy member, may be able to tell you how to adjust the font size on your computer.

Love, Mikie
  3. kalina

kalina New Member

I HOPE YOU DO NOT TAKE OFFENSE, BUT THE ALL-CAPS ISSUE IS A PROBLEM FOR MANY PEOPLE ON THIS BOARD.

SPEAKING FOR MYSELF, THE PROBLEM IS THAT I SIMPLY CANNOT READ LONG MESSAGES WRITTEN IN ALL CAPS. THE LETTERS BLUR TOGETHER, MAKING MY EYES AND BRAIN HURT TO EVEN TRY TO READ THEM. THE RESULT IS THAT I HAVE NO CHOICE BUT TO AVOID THE POSTS THAT ARE WRITTEN THIS WAY.

I UNDERSTAND THAT TO YOU, WRITING THIS WAY IS NOT A "SCREAMING" ISSUE, BUT RESEARCH SHOWS THAT ALL CAPS ARE SIGIFICANTLY HARDER TO READ AND COMPREHEND THAN CAPS/LOWER CASE FOR MOST PEOPLE. A LOT OF PEOPLE HERE EXPERIENCE SENSORY OVERLOAD AND BRAINFOG, MAKING DECRYPTION EVEN MORE DIFFICULT.

MIKIE HAD AN EXCELLENT SUGGESTION TO ENLARGE THE TYPE SIZE ON YOUR BROWSER. IF THIS IS SOMETHING THAT DOESN'T WORK FOR YOU, COULD YOU PLEASE CONSIDER INCLUDING A SHORT NOTE (UNDER YOUR SIGNATURE PERHAPS) REQUESTING THAT PEOPLE REPLY TO YOUR POSTS IN ALL CAPS?

WE WOULD LIKE FOR YOU TO BE PART OF THE COMMUNITY. JUST UNDERSTAND WHY WRITING IN ALL CAPS CAUSES SOME PEOPLE TO AVOID READING YOUR POSTS AND RESPONDING TO YOUR MESSAGES.

KALINA
  4. Princessraye

Princessraye New Member

If I can't read something on a particular day I don't read it. But most days I can.

I say do what is best for you and I will work with that :)

As I understand it changing the font on your computer will not matter. It is what this site is set for.
    [This Message was Edited on 06/07/2003]
  5. kredca4

kredca4 New Member

THEY SHOULD BE ABLE TO POST IN WHATEVER SIZE LETTER'S THEY IS BEST FOR THEM.

IF OTHER'S CAN'T READ IT THEN JUST SKIP THE POST, THERE ARE SO MANY POST'S I DON'T SEE WHY IT'S A BIG DEAL TO A FEW, THAT SOME NEED TO USE LARGE PRINT.

I TRY TO ADJUST TO THE OTHER PERSON'S NEED'S, NOT HAVE THEM ADJUST TO MINE. I GUESS, I'M IN THE MINORITY HERE, WHEN I SAY THAT, BUT TO ME, IT'S JUST LIKE SOMEONE WANTING ME TO MEET THEIR NEED'S, WITHOUT THEM GIVING ME ANY CONSIDERATION BACK.

I DO THINK IT'S A GOOD IDEA IF THE POSTER DOES MAKE IT KNOWN THAT THEY NEED TO POST IN CAP'S.

I REMEMBER WAY BACK WHEN WE FIRST HAD THIS DISCUSSION, AND I TRIED TO CHANGE THE FONT ON MY COMPUTER. ALL THAT HAPPENED WAS THAT MY E-MAIL LETTER'S WERE LARGER, AND NOTHING ELSE. I'M JUST NOT AS COMPUTER SAVY AS OTHER'S, I TEND TO NOT MESS WITH THING'S, SO THAT I WON'T GET STUFF SO OUT OF WACK THAT I CAN'T USE IT. MY SON FINALLY CHANGED THE FONT, BY THEN, I DIDN'T CARE ANYMORE. LOL, LOL
    FIBRO FOG.

WE HAD ONLY ONE MEMEBER, THEN, WHO NEEDED TO USE THE CAPS. NOW WE HAVE A FEW MORE, THAT'S WHAT HAPPEN'S WHEN WE GROW, SO I THINK, THAT WE SHOULD JUST LET PEOPLE BE THEMSELVES, AND NOT TRY TO MAKE THEM FIT OUT NEED'S.

THAT'S NOT BEING SUPPORTIVE, AT LEAST IN MY MIND IT'S NOT.

JUST MY OPINION, I LIKE TO EXPRESS MYSELF ALSO, AS OTHER'S DO, WITHOUT ANYONES FEELINGS BEING HURT. THAT'S NOT MY INTENTION. ;O)
    SHARON

PS. BTW, WITH THE CYST ON MY FINGER I HAVE FOUND IT EASIER TO TYPE IN ALL CAP'S, ESPECIALLY SINCE THE DANG THING BURST, AND IT'S OOZZING , SO WITH THE BANDAGE, IT'S HARD TO SHIFT TO CAP'S, SO I TRIED USING THE LOWER CASE AND IT HURT MY EYE'. LOL
  6. pinkquartz

pinkquartz New Member

I CAN'T READ THE POSTS IN CAPITAL LETTERS.

I HAVE TYPED THIS OUT , I CAN TYPE OK THIS WAY BUT MY EYES JUST SLIDE OVER ALL CAPS WRITING AND I CAN'T DIGEST ANY OF IT.......
    IN THE COMPUTER I AM USING TO MAKE TO TEXT LARGER TO READ YOU GO TO WHERE IT SAYS VIEW AT THE TOP .....TO THE RIGHT OF EXPLORER AND THEN FROM THE DROP DOWN MENU SELECT TEXT ZOOM. I USE THIS TO READ ON SITES WITH SMALLER WRITING.

OTHERWISE I KNOW IT IS A BIT EASIER TO READ WHEN THE TEXT IS BROKEN INTO SMALLER PARAGRAPHS.

HOPE THIS MIGHT BE HELPFUL, I AM SORRY BUT FOR ME I HAVE TO SKIP THE POSTS IN CAPS . UNLESS THEY ARE IN SMALL PARAGRAGH ;-{

CHEERS
    PINKQUARTZ
  7. athome

athome New Member

NOT ONLY IS THIS EASIER TO READ FOR

SOME OF US, BUT EASIER TO TYPE AS WELL.

TO BE CONSIDERATE WHILE MESSAGING IN
    ALL CAPS,

WE COULD SPACE OUT OR POSTS WITH EXTRA
    PARAGRAPHS, ETC.

NANA
  8. RedB

RedB New Member

I'M SORRY, BUT I GUESS I DON'T GO ALONG WITH THE NEW "COMPUTER RULES". TO ME, TELLING SOMEONE HOW TO EXPRESS THEMSELVES IN WRITING IS THE SAME AS TELLING SOMEONE DIFFERENT THAN US HOW TO SPEAK. I WOULD NO MORE TELL SOMEONE THAT CAPITALS ARE IMPROPER THAN I WOULD TELL A FOREIGNER THAT THEIR ACCENT IS HARD TO UNDERSTAND, SO PLEASE DON'T TALK.

EACH PERSON IS UNIQUE IN THE WAY THEY TYPE OR WRITE, AND TO QUESTION THAT UNIQUENESS, TO ME, IS RATHER RUDE. JUST AS THE COMPUTER RULE "CAPITALS MEAN SHOUTING" SEEMS RUDE TO ME.

IF SOMEONE HAS A PROBLEM READING CAPITALS, THEN THEY SHOULD PROBABLY JUST SKIP THOSE POSTS, RATHER THAN TO HURT ANOTHER'S FEELINGS.

LET'S REMEMBER, PEOPLE, THAT COMPUTERS ARE NO MORE THAN AN EXTENSION OF ALL OF US GETTING TOGETHER ON THE PHONE OR IN A ROOM. WE CERTAINLY WOULD NOT TELL SOMEONE TO THEIR FACE THAT THEY ARE NOT SPEAKING CORRECTLY, AND I SINCERELY DO NOT BELIEVE THAT WE SHOULD DO IT HERE.

OF COURSE, I ALSO HOLD THE BELIEF THAT E-MAILS SHOULD READ THE SAME AS A REGULAR HANDWRITTEN LETTER TO A FRIEND SHOULD READ. SHORTENED SENTENCES TO ME SEEM INAPPROPRIATE.

SO, YOU SEE, THIS OLD LADY HAS ARISEN FROM THE MIDST OF THE "A" GRAMMAR STUDENTS, AND 90-WORD-A-MINUTE TYPISTS, SO IGNORE ME IF YOU MUST. :O) :O)

KATHY

9. sb439

sb439 New Member

i can't read all capitals, even just two sentences give me a headache. therefore i have only read the posts in this thread that are in lower case. if you find it problematic to type lower and upper case, but wish the maximum people to read it, then you can just type lower case only. the result if perfectly readible (as this post shows). i often wish i could read the upper case posts, as the topics interest me, but i just can't, as the headaches get very bad very quickly, so i have to give all of them a miss.
    susanne
  10. CATLADY912

CATLADY912 New Member

The only reason I type in capitols is because I have a CATARACT ON MY RIGHT EYE AND IT MAKES IT EASIER FOR ME TO READ RIGHT NOW.

I appreciate everyone's opinion but it seems the main reason that I stated why I type in capitals has been overlooked.

As soon as my eye is fixed which will be June 11th I will be able to type in regular letters.

Also as one member said, we don't tell other people what to do. If you cannot read my post in capitals than just overlook it. I do what I need to do till my eye is fixed. If any one of you has this problem you will know what it does to you to have the film over your eye and can't see hardly at all.

I can appreciate those of you who cannot read capitals and I understand fully how hard it might be for you but till I myself am able to see good again I will have to do what ever it takes to help me.

I'm typing this in regular print with a bandage over my right eye so I can see in smaller print but I cannot wear this bandage all the time.

All I ask is that you understand why I myself have to post in capitals right now. And if it is hard for you than just skip over the post. Thank you.

Gentle Hugs,
    Janice
  11. CATLADY912

CATLADY912 New Member

BUMPING THIS UP.

WANT EVERYONE TO UNDERSTAND MY FEELING.

JANICE
  12. ssMarilyn

ssMarilyn New Member

Unfortunately, I can't read all upper case, my lousy eyes see them as nothing but stick men running around. I know you can increase your font size by clicking on "View" at the top of your monitor...then it will say either "font" or "Text"....click on that. I just clicked on "Text" and increased my font to 200% and it's taking up my entire monitor as I type!

I think we are being overly sensitive by taking this legitimate complaint personally. It has nothing to do with trying to hurt anyone's feelings. It has everything to do with us wanting to read your posts.....because we are interested in what you have to say. :)

Marilyn :)
  13. JLH

JLH New Member

for people to break up their text into many paragraphs.

Reading one long post makes the old eyes cross.
  14. sb439

sb439 New Member

for explaining the cataract in small letters. Of course I understand and wouldn't dream to tell you not to write in capital letters. I very much hope your operation goes well and isn't stressful.
    Susanne
  15. pam_d

pam_d New Member

....to space the paragraphs that are written in all upper-case letters. Should make them easier to read.

I, for one, never would assume someone here on this board who writes in all upper-case letters is "shouting". I assume when I see a post like this that there is some very legitimate reason that the poster needs to write it this way, usually involving poor eyesight, and I respect that.

As others have said, if I'm having a harder than usual day, I might skip a hard-to-read post, but usually I will take the time & effort to slowly read that post & answer it like I would any other.....

We can spend a lot of time complaining about this, or we can practice the same principle of tolerance we do for other issues.......and utilize good suggestions like Mikie's (to break up the paragraphs) to help make it easier on everyone.

Hugs,
    Pam
  16. pinkquartz

pinkquartz New Member

I BOTHERED TO REPLY TO YOUR POST JUST SO YOU WOULD KNOW THAT I HAD READ YOUR POST AND THOUGHT ABOUT IT,,UNDERSTOOD IT, AND ANSWERED WITH MY OWN DIFFICULTY.

IT WAS NOT MEANT AS A CRITISISCM OR COMPLAINT

I REPLIED OUT OF RESPECT TOWARDS YOU.

OF COUSE I CAN SKIP OVER THE POSTS IN CAPITALS.....I USUALLY HAVE TO COS IT HURTS MY EYES AND ETC........

I JUST WANTED TO EXPLAIN WHERE I WAS AT.

TAKE CARE AND GOOD LUCK WITH YOUR CATARACT OP.

TO DEBBIE,
    WOW NOW YOU HAVE EXTRA SPACED YOUR WRITING I CAN READ IT MUCH EASIER

CHEERS
    PINKQUARTZ
    [This Message was Edited on 06/08/2003]