Posting Websites

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Mikie, Sep 25, 2002.

1. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

If y'all haven't had a chance to read the board rules, you can click on them in the upper left-hand area. Our sponsor does not allow the posting of URL's for other websites. This is understandable as many of these are in direct competition with the products offered here. Also, there is some responsibility for what is posted here. The sponsor cannot be responsible for what is posted on these other sites and, therefore, does not want to provide access to them from this website.

That said, if y'all are sophisticated enough to use this website, you should have no problems using a search engine like Google or Yahoo. Many of your ISP's include this in the area at the top of your pages. If you are excited about something you have found online, provide enough info so that people can find it themselves through the search engine or through trial and error by adding the requisite "www" and ".com" in the appropriate places.

I've noticed an increase in posts which include URL's and it makes a lot of extra work for Shirl and me when we have to edit the posts. Thanks for your cooperation.

Love, Mikie
  2. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

If y'all haven't had a chance to read the board rules, you can click on them in the upper left-hand area. Our sponsor does not allow the posting of URL's for other websites. This is understandable as many of these are in direct competition with the products offered here. Also, there is some responsibility for what is posted here. The sponsor cannot be responsible for what is posted on these other sites and, therefore, does not want to provide access to them from this website.

That said, if y'all are sophisticated enough to use this website, you should have no problems using a search engine like Google or Yahoo. Many of your ISP's include this in the area at the top of your pages. If you are excited about something you have found online, provide enough info so that people can find it themselves through the search engine or through trial and error by adding the requisite "www" and ".com" in the appropriate places.

I've noticed an increase in posts which include URL's and it makes a lot of extra work for Shirl and me when we have to edit the posts. Thanks for your cooperation.

Love, Mikie
  3. JaciBart

JaciBart Member

Okay, tell me if this is right, what we should do is say "go to a search engine, look up eg: rhubarb buttermile cake recipe" instead of go to www.rhubarbbuttermilkcake.com

????

Jaci
  4. dhcpolwnk

dhcpolwnk New Member

Although I hadn't realized that posting a URL was a non-no, I understand why *commercial* URLs aren't allowed . However, does that rule also apply to URLs for nonprofit organizations or to personal, non-commercial URL?

By the way, one of the rules states: "We request instead of posting URLs to other sites, to post the material that you find valuable from that site." If the material is long, this could create a problem--not only because of the length of the message but also because of copyright laws protecting the posted material. Sometimes the only way you can legally refer people to certain information is by referring them to the web site of the author.

If it's possible, I respectfully suggest some modification of the rules to recognize these facts.

Thanks.

--Laura

5. klutzo

klutzo New Member

Why isn't it OK to post sites that don't sell anything? One example: Lots of times people will say they can't find a doctor in their area on the list available here. I have looked at that list, and frankly, it pales in comparison to the list at a certain other FM website. The website in question does not sell anything, so why can't we help our fellow suffers find a good doctor? How does that take business away from ProHealth?
    I am not upset with you Mikie, only with a rule that seems illogical and counterproductive in some aspects.
    KLutzo
  6. kredca4

kredca4 New Member

We were under the impression that it was alright to post websites as long as they didn't sell the same Products as our Sponsor does.

While you were away, that Ban was lifted, now that you are back, does it mean that we can no long post websites at all?
    Are you talking about Dr. Dev Starlanyl's site?
    Or just the ones that sell supplements?

You all keep us confused.
    Sinceerely,
    kredca4/sharon
  7. sean

sean New Member

This is the first message board I have come across with such stupid illogical rules. No URL'S to be posted, No jokes, ha, what else? I think a list of rules is in order so we know where we stand, I wonder how long they would take to read? Certain rules I can understand, but c'mon get a grip.
  8. Grams

Grams New Member

Hmmmm, I thought it was a copyright violation to copy and paste direct quotes from websites, especially if the site has a copyright disclaimer. Even including the author's name may still violate the website's copyright.

Here is Pro Health's copyright notice:

COPYRIGHT NOTICE

©2002 Pro Health, Inc. All Rights Reserved.

All information displayed, transmitted, or carried on this Website, including but not limited to articles, opinions, reviews, text, photographs, images and illustrations, collectively the “Content,” is the property of Pro Health, Inc. or its content suppliers and is protected by United States copyright law and other laws.

You may not reproduce, modify, transfer, sell, distribute, transmit, publish, create derivative works from, repost, construct any type of database, broadcast, or in any way display the Content of this Website or any portion thereof without the prior written permission of Pro Health, Inc. For permission, please contact:

Editor,
    Pro Health, Inc.
    2040 Alameda Padre Serra
    Suite 101
    Santa Barbara, CA 93103
    editor@prohealthinc.com

You may download one machine readable and/or one print copy of the Content from this Website for your personal, non-commercial use. All other uses are expressly prohibited. You may not remove any trademark or copyright notice from your copy of the Content.

You may create a link from your website to this Website without the express permission of Pro Health, Inc. We ask that you notify us in advance of your intention to do so by email at editor@prohealthinc.com. Pro Health, Inc. reserves the right to revoke your permission to link to its Website.
  9. Grams

Grams New Member

Another post I read said that we should copy and paste information from other websites instead of leaving the url. Why then, is it OK to copy and paste information from other websites when Pro Health expressly prohibits anyone from copying information found on their own website?
  10. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

I'm sorry if many of you are upset, but the rules state that URL's are not to be posted. If an article is long or copyrighted, recap what you read and give enough info so that anyone can do his or her own search and find the website.

We do not ban jokes on this website, we simply ask that they be posted to the Chit Chat Forum and that this forum be kept for medical purposes. There will always be an exception from time to time, such as letting our new members know about our Prayer Night.

Folks, if y'all are smart enough to use this website, you will have no problem using search engines, and often, you will find more than one website with the info you seek.

Our sponsor owns this website and provides a very valuable service to us all. Ownership entitles one to set the rules. Whether or not y'all agree with them, if you want to use this site, you must agree to abide by them. Thank you for your understanding and cooperation.

Love, Mikie
  11. Suze

Suze New Member

....that URLs were okay as long as the referred website didn't compete with this one. Since she made that announcement, I've included lots of links in my posts. Not one of them had anything to do with supplements or other competing products.

So I gather the rulemakers have changed their minds.....again??

Suze

12. JaciBart

JaciBart Member

I am not trying to be a paiun and I know I can be but is this ok....to say for instance "the jeff rense site has good info under health issues regarding aspartame" is that ok???

Jaci
  13. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

The rules were just finalized. At the time Jackie told y'all that, they had not been rewritten. The problem is that we have so many new people here and when they see URL's in posts, they think it is OK to post any kind of URL's. Shirl and I simply do not have time to check each and every URL to see if it contains competitive products.

The advantage to posting URL's here is that people can go directly to that website. The advantage to using your search engines is that you will most likely find a whole bunch of websites dealing with the topic at hand. Most of the time, if you are posting about a subject, you can be specific enough that anyone could find the website you are referring to.

By allowing no URL's, there is no doubt about what can be done and what can't. It's simple and specific.

Love, Mikie
  14. JaciBart

JaciBart Member

for the clarification, you do a great job.

Jaci
  15. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

I appreciate your kind words, especially when I know that certain rules aren't always popular. However, when we weigh that against the tremendous benefits this site provides to us, it isn't that big of a deal. Everything in life is give and take, and I have found that our members are some of the most caring and understanding people I have had the pleasure to know.

I appreciate how helpful y'all are to each other and to me. Everything I have learned about my treatments, I heard about from our members. The amount of wisdom and knowledge here is amazing.

BTW, yes, y'all can purchase your supplements anywhere you want. I have found the prices here are hard to beat and the products are of the highest quality. What many of you don't know is that the sponser has CFIDS and donates a very large percentage of profits for research. He did not create this site for profit only. It has allowed him to find a way to survive financially and to return to his fellow sufferers in funding research that may well someday provide a cure. When you purchase your products here, you are helping all of us.

You can have a catalog sent to your home from the Home Page. I suggest you do this because it has the supplements organized according to symptom and is very easy to use. You can also shop online through the Store on the Home Page. ProHealth has access to people who can answer questions about any products before you buy.

You can also sign up for e-mail bulletins which bring new info on our illnesses right to your e-mail box. You sign up on the Home Page.

I put this info out because of all the new people who may not realize these things about our sponsor and our website. Some may not know about the library with articles written by some of the leading experts in our illnesses.

Use this website and enjoy the unique benefits it provides to us.

Love, Mikie

16. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

From reading Roro's post, it's obvious that not everyone has had a chance to read this. Just bumping so, hopefully, everyone will see it.

Love, Mikie
  17. Sunshyne1027

Sunshyne1027 New Member

I have posted some URL's also, and sorry I didnt know. Wont post URL's again.
  18. JaciBart

JaciBart Member

Thanks for the calrification and the fact that the owner has CF, it is nice of him to donate to research.

We all need to stop complaining, myself included, we all need this site, I honestly do not know what I would have done w/o it. He, owner and you do a big service to us.

Thank you!!!

Jaci