Postsurgery pain after large lipoma removal. Scar Tissue? Help

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Chelz, Sep 7, 2008.

1. Chelz

Chelz New Member

Hello Everyone,

I had posted here before that I had a 10 Centimeter (very large) benign lipoma removed from my right hip/buttock area back in May of 2004.

This lipoma was subcutaneous, so it was movable and can be felt and seen pretty easily. The surgeon assured me that it was a simple operation done under just a local, so I was awake for the procedure.

For the first year and a half, I felt relief to have this thing out, and I was able to do my walking again. I wasn't able to walk fast, but then again with FM, I never was able to even before the lipoma.

In 2007, the exact same area started bothering me again. I thought maybe I had another lipoma, so I had contacted a general surgeon who did a cat scan on the area and he said it looked good, no lipoma.

The pain is still there and I go to massage therapist who massages the area. When she massages, it hurts good, but afterwards it is sore, feels inflamed and I'm just miserable. The pain is in the exact area of the last lipoma and sometims if the pain feels really inflamed, it hurts down my leg to my right knee.

She tells me my muscle feels extra firm in the area of my 4 inch scar. I am wondering if this could just be scar tissue that has formed after my surgery, even though it didn't start hurting until a good year later.

I don't know what to do, I have an ice pack on it now, and I buy menthol patches to put on it. It helps a little, but I need to get out and walk again, and I simply just can't walk for pleasure anymore. I do walk at work, but there are times when it flares up really bad, although it pretty much hurts all the time.

I work in a hospital and I know a few general surgeons. Should I contact another one and ask for a MRI? Or perphaps mention about the scar tissue? I'm used to my FM pain and problems, but this is just too much.

Wouldn't a cat scan reveal any scar tissue? The last general surgeon I seen was really no help at all, but I now a few more surgeons. Not sure where to go with this one. Thanks for listening or any suggestions. Hugs, Chelz.
  2. Susan07

Susan07 New Member

Sorry I don't have any experience with this but definitely feel a second opinion might be helpful.

Take care
  3. SharonF

SharonF New Member

I was reading your message regarding pain after lipoma surgery and it sounds like what I am experiencing. I had a lipoma discovered in October several years after some discomfort. At the time it was only about the size of a quarter. During the school year (former teacher), the lipoma grew and was removed in March. I had outpatient surgery for the removal and the surgeon stated it was the size of his fist. Luckily it was benign, but it grew rapidly in five months.

For the first few years everything was fine, but then I started having discomfort in the same left hip area. I thought it is probably adhesions, something has to fill the empty space. The discomfort is worse when I sit and lasts for about a week, subsides for a couple of weeks, reappears, and the cycle continues.

I had this area checked out by the same surgeon and an scan of the area showed a small lipoma, but too small for removal. The discomfort seems to reappear more often now and a deep discomfort from the hip, down my leg.

I have difficulty finding a comfortable position whether in a chair or trying to sleep. I also used patches, menthol, and heat, but it did not help much.

I am up at 1:45 am because I can not get in a comfortable position to sleep due to the discomfort. The discomfort does keep me from doing some daily activities.

Thanks for posting Chelz. Are you feeling any better after almost three years after you posted?
  4. Chelz

Chelz New Member

Hello, I was surprised to see this post of mine bumped up, I do now remember posting it. Sad to say, no I don't feel that much better, although, the burning sensation in the same area as my scar has almost gone away, but, I always still have this "lingering" pain in the same area as my scar.

The confusing thing is, both of my hips hurt now, same area, but I don't feel any large lipoma in my other hip...............strange, it must be a fibro thing and they surgery just added insult to injury on my right side.

So you have experience with these lipomas as well :( They can be awful. Strange thing is, I have not had another one, thank goodness, since 2004 and I just don't know why the first one appeared......and it was so large, 10 centimeters large, I remember the surgeon saying under his breath "Geeez this is so big" I was embarrassed and disgusted at the same time, LOL.

I think part of the reason it doesn't bother me as much is because basically I just got sooooooooooooooooo used to the pain there, that I try to ignore it and I have lived with it now for so long.

I also find difficulty in sitting in chairs, and I am a side sleeper, and it always feels better to sleep on the side where I didn't have the lipoma. Thanks so much for asking about me and posting your post. Just another thing we have to deal with :( Hugs to you :) Chelz