Potassium/muscle spasms

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by karen55, Jan 17, 2003.

1. karen55

karen55 New Member

I posted recently that my rheumy had suggested I stop taking the potassium supplements for a few weeks, to see if my intense muscle spasms in my feet and legs returned. She told me I needed to be careful about the potassium. Well, it's been almost 3 weeks, and in the past 2-3 days, they certainly have returned. Not to the point they were previously, waking me up several times during the night, but I think her idea has proven that I do need the potassium. I'm going to start back on it today, before they get as bad as they were before. I see her again on the 27th, and will certainly make her aware of this. Anyone else have a similar experience with potassium?

Karen
  2. vloga

vloga New Member

Hi Karen.

I've been warned against having potassium injections by several doctors who think it's very dangerous (can cause the calcium levels to affect the heart etc). But it's a question of whether you trust your rheumy or your instinct.

I trust my instinct ! And I always keep on hand a hand {snigger, but pun unintended) of bananas, cos they're high in potassium and the carbohydrate stabilises blood sugars. I'm not the world's first fan of bananas, but it's easy food, quick, nutritious and with no chance of side effects, unless you're allergic to them. And they work wonderfully to limit the muscle spasms.

I also take the homeopathic remedies gelsemium and arnica, which work well. If they can work for the Royal family, they can work for me !

HTH

Vloga