Potassium to give you energy?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by desperation, Aug 18, 2003.

1. desperation

desperation New Member

I have just seen a reputable doctor who says that taking potassium ( slow k) 1200mg a day helps with fatigue. Has anyone had any benefits form using this????
    Thankyou very much,
    Lu
  2. Ahorsesoul

Ahorsesoul New Member

Never have heard of this for energy. I have a friend who takes it for a racing heart. She had been treated for this problem for years. Once she ended up in ER because her heart was going so fast. They gave her a drug that actually stopped her heart from beating, but only for a few seconds. Then a doctor suggest she try potassium, she has not had a problem since starting potassium.
  3. lea

lea Member

Do you by chance know how much pottasium your friend is on?
    thank you
    lea
  4. hollie9

hollie9 New Member

I was on a diet for weight loss that recommended potassium and I went into a terrible relapse. I have had CFS about 10 years. I was on another message board and a woman with FM told me potassium can cause real problems for us and told me to get off it immediately. I did and relapse eventually went away.

I don't remember how much potassium I was taking.

Hollie
  5. Shirl

Shirl New Member

I am afraid of potassium capsules, I think the safest way
    to take it is to eat foods that are rich in potassium.

Vegetables
    Asparagus
    Avocado
    Carrots, raw
    Corn
    Beans, LIma cooked
    Potatoes
    Spinach, cooked
    Tomatoes, raw

Fruits
    Apple'Apricots, dried
    Bananas
    Cantaloupe
    Oranges
    Peach
    Plums
    Strawberries

Unprocessed meats
    Chichen,
    Lamb, leg
    Roast beef
    Pork

Fish
    Cod
    Flounder
    Haddock
    Salmon
    Tuna, drained solids

Also
    Blackstrap molasses
    Sunflower seeds

I also drink Ensure or eat junior baby food that are high in potassium (fruits). I am a poor eater, so there are times I have to just go to the Ensure or the baby food!

Its such a long list of foods that contain potassium, that I think its better to get your needs met through diet rather than pills.

The optimum daily intake is; 99-300 milligrams.

Shalom, Shirl

6. ssMarilyn

ssMarilyn New Member

If I take it every day, I get palps, so I don't take it very often. Magnesium is wonderful for relaxing the heart and stopping palps and slowing it down. Recommended dosage is 750 mg a day, split into 3 dosages of 250 each. Take on an empty stomach. If you take mag with a high protien meal, the protien cancels out the mag.

Mariyn :)
  7. jadibeler

jadibeler New Member

I'm glad to see this thread because I just started taking potassium about 2 weeks ago. I started sea salt about a month ago and without the iodine, I was told I should eat a banana or an orange. Also on the Hg diet so I can't have either. At the time, I didn't realize how many foods are rich in potas. so I bought the pills.

Like Mikey, I'm a poor eater (to put it mildly). I never ate those foods before, now I have no choice, but that doesn't mean I have to like them or feel like cooking them. I rarely feel like cooking the things I do eat. But I'm going to try to do better. And after reading Mikie's opinion, I'm going to just stop the pills.

JoAnn
  8. paulalbert

paulalbert New Member

I HIGHLY recommend NOT screwing around with your electrolytes without being under the care of someone who knows what they are doing (i.e. a doctor). I am not one, but I can take a pretty good guess that the reason why some of us have experienced "relapses" taking potassium is because it lowers blood pressure-- not a good thing for those of us with neurally mediated hypotension or orthostatic hypotension (which is very common in this group).

Paul