POTENTIAL HELP!

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia and ME & Chronic Fatigue Syndrome' started by Godismystrength, Jan 14, 2013.

1. Some of you may already know all about this supplement, but i just read a great article on N- acetyl cysteine and wanted to post the link for anyone interested. I was struck by the fact that this amino acid inhibits expression of pro-inflammatory cytokines AND replenishes intracellular glutathione supply. It also is a frontline defense against Influenza, COPD (including emphysema and bronchitis), Acetaminophen toxicity and acute liver failure, as well as Helicobacter Pylori (bacterial culprit behind stomach ulcers). The article is def worth taking a look at.

Since glutathione is such an important element to our health (see Prohealth's article on glutathione under "Breaking ME/CFS News"), I would take this supplement for that reason alone... but it also has the benefit of inhibiting the expression of cytokines, which we know is a problem for most of us.

But apparently it has a whole host of benefits. And since there's been so much concern over this flu season, the fact that it is a strong defense against influenza, as well as other things is a big plus. So I just wanted to share it with everyone and hope it can help many, if not all, of us. The recommended dosage is 1800 mg/day... Taken in 600 mg doses 3 times a day. The report is entitled, "The Overlooked Compound That Saves Lives".

www.lef.org/magazine/mag2010/may2010_N-Acetyl-Cysteine_01.htm

While I'm not thrilled at the prospect of taking another pill, i would def be willing to try this. Let me know if any of you are familiar with this amino acid and/or have tried it... And whether you saw improvement with it. Thanks!

Blessings and Gentle Hugs,
    Shel :)

[This Message was Edited on 01/14/2013]
  2. jaminhealth

jaminhealth Well-Known Member

in morning on empty stomach, NAC that is.

Aminos work best on empty stomach....although I don't
    deal with CFS, I decided to take the 600mg daily to help
    boost gluthione....I'm not sure if it's doing anything, but one per day is what I decided to do....

My issues are PAin and Inflammation with OA and FM and other complications from hip surgery....

So, go with it see, it can take time and is subtle for most...

I take a lot of other stuff to keep my immune system strong.
  3. SherylS

SherylS Member

Supplement but be careful with the dose you start with. It is a strong detoxifier and you could feel pretty bad at those doses. Just start low and slow and see how it works for you. I think it helps my energy but I am only taking 300 mg a day.
  4. mbofov

mbofov Member

I've taken NAC before. At one time I was taking two 600 mg. caps a day. And I never noticed any difference at all. It didn't make me detox, surprisingly enough. I just didn't notice any difference at all while taking it.

But - I've read good things about it, like you've posted and it might help some people, and might cause a detox reaction for some.

It's relatively cheap so worth a try, but as someone cautioned, I would go slow with it in case it does stimulate detoxing.

Mary
  5. Thank you for your feedback... I appreciate your sharing your experience with NAC... and for the caution to start slow. I will have to look into whether its ok to take with other supps. I know Jam said its best to take on an empty stomach... But I already take 2 supps on an empty stomach, so I would need to find out if they're ok to take together. I know calcium should be taken separate from my other supps because it can interfere with absorption. Hopefully I can figure it out.

Thanks again for your responses! God bless you!

Blessings and Gentle Hugs,
    Shel :)
    [This Message was Edited on 01/14/2013]