Potential Shoulder Pain Relief

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by JLH, Mar 31, 2006.

1. JLH

JLH New Member

Potential Shoulder Pain Relief

(Ivanhoe Newswire) -- A new study may offer hope to people suffering from chronic shoulder pain. Researchers from Columbia University in New York report a drug approved to treat osteoarthritis of the knee may help the shoulder.

Patients dealing with this pain were left with few options when the safety of Cox-2 inhibitors, including the popular drug Vioxx, recently came under fire. Now, another treatment, sold under the name Hyalgan, can reduce shoulder pain by nearly 50 percent. The study findings reported at the annual meeting of the American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons are comparable to the findings of a 1998 study that led to the approval of the drug for knee pain.

For the study, Theodore Blain, M.D., and colleagues treated 463 patients with Hyalgan, a placebo, or a combination of the two. All study participants had failed with conventional non-surgical therapies like steroid injection and various oral pain medications. Participants were followed, and their improvement was recorded for six months.

Researchers discovered those patients treated with five injections of the active medication and those treated with three injections of Hyalgan and two injections of placebo showed significant improvement. They also noted the treatment was well tolerated and did not bring up any safety concerns. Additionally, Dr. Blain says, "This was even more compelling, clinically, since the patients enrolled in this study were a difficult-to-manage patient population because of their age, concomitant medications, and concurrent disease."

The National Institute of Musculoskeletal and Skin Diseases estimate shoulder problems are responsible for about 1.5 million visits to orthopedic surgeons each year. The major causes of the pain are osteoarthritis and rotator cuff tears.

SOURCE: American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons Annual Meeting in Chicago, March 22-26, 2006

2. 69mach1

69mach1 New Member

i have messed up shoulders...i wonder if this may help w/the back backs and necks...rest of the ortho problems i have...

time will tell...and when it is passed fda approved kaiser insurance always usually waits awhile before they try it on us..

jodie
  3. JLH

JLH New Member

I know my shoulders and arms have always killed me with a lot of fibro pain and soreness. But I know my shoulder pain comes a lot from my neck, too. I have a lot of bad disks in my neck, as well as spinal stenosis, and a bunch of other problems. My neck and shoulder pain is so bad sometimes, I am willing to try anything new out there!! LOL

Hugs,
    Janet
  4. EllenComstock

EllenComstock New Member

for the info. My right should and neck is my worst area for pain and stiffness. My doctor keeps trying different medications (plus I've been doing physical therapy for months) but nothing has helped this area. I sometimes use ice packs, sometimes therapacks to give me a little relief.

Ellen