powdered electrolytes..Pat Palmer anyone??

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by judywhit, May 27, 2003.

1. judywhit

judywhit New Member

i need to start drinking electolytes everyday and do not want to be drinking the sweet power/gator aid type drinks. Do the health food stores sell this and does any one know of a good brand?
    thanks Judy
  2. Shirl

Shirl New Member

I don't know any name brands that are the greatest, but since your post went to the second page, this is a 'bump' for others to see and hopefully can help!

I hate the taste of all that stuff myself, would like to know of one too.

Shalom, Shirl
  3. MemoryLane

MemoryLane Member

You can start with drinking V-8 juice. It has most of the same important ingredients as the "Ade" drinks, without all the sugar. The only missing ingredient is Magnesium, which the "ade" drinks don't always have anyway; I am sure you get that already in your supplements. I drink the low salt V-8. You can check the health food stores for a V-8 type juice made with sea salt; that would be the only other thing I would prefer - otherwise I think it's nearly perfect.

Lane
  4. judywhit

judywhit New Member

I will check that out at the store.
    thanks,
    judy
  5. PatPalmer

PatPalmer New Member

Hi Judy,

I`m sorry I hadn`t seen your post, It`s a very interesting one and i`m glad it was bumped up.

I haven`t heard of this product before, i`ve had a look and have pasted some info below... Are you quite sure you need to have it? Or have you been advised to by someone?

Sounds to me if you are eating right & drinking enough water + Supplements, plus getting the "Pure Unrefined Sea Salt" intake which I have just discovered we need, you shouldn`t need to purchase this product.

Salt is a conductor of electricity, - so would be the basis of this product... Save yourself the cash and introduce the salt instead.

Hope this helps you

Love Pat.

What causes body fluid and electrolyte deficiency?

The most common causes are: (1) severe or extended illness involving high fever, vomiting or diarrhea; (2) long periods of extremely hot weather and perspiration; (3) extraordinary physical exercise or work activity; (4) extreme changes in diet or reduced fluid intake. Your body will release large amounts of body fluid through the skin, lungs and kidneys when elevated body temperatures occur. This is a natural response and acts as a safety valve to relieve an overheated system. In the process you not only deplete normal body fluid content but also the natural balance of electrolytes chemistry.

What does body fluid and electrolyte deficiency do to you?

A varying combination of nervous and muscular disorders may occur depending on the degree or extent by which electrolyte deficiency occurs; or, whether the fluid imbalance is a deficit or excessive condition. The nature of the fluid shift within your body is also a factor. The impact can range from small to great, from tremors to convulsions, diarrhea to constipation, fatigue to paralysis, slow to rapid breathing, or from low pulse rate to cardiac arrest. We hope you never have to face any of these conditions and most likely this will never happen to you. The important thing to recognize is that with any measurable drop in your electrolyte levels or body fluid balance, you just are not going to feel like your normal self. You may feel lazy, indifferent, have a tingling sensation in your fingers or just feel generally out of sorts. But you need not if you keep your bodys battery balanced with fluids and electrolyte content.

What is the solution?

The obvious solution is to drink greater amounts of water and at the same time increase your greater-than-average intake of electrolytes. The average person with a reasonably good diet regime may get sufficient electrolyte and fluid input for his or her everyday energy replenishment. However, after severe body stress the body will require an increased electrolyte supplement to offset the extra water usage that the body has lost and is demanding. For the ostomate, particularly those with urinary diversions or gastrointestinal stomas, it is probably beneficial to supplement your electrolyte intake. During these special periods of stress and demand it is important to consider a regular and reasonable electrolyte supplement to your normal diet.

When serious illness or surgery is the cause of body fluid and electrolyte imbalance, the physician will recommend a restorative program. But for the more common occurrences related to weather, minor illness, overwork or exercise, there are simple home remedies you can apply. Orange juice and bananas can add potassium and vitamin C. Bouillon or canned soups will boost sodium levels.

Electrolytes Plus answers most of the body needs simply and most thoroughly. First, it was formulated to meet the high restorative needs of the ostomate (and consequently gives everyone a better body fluid builder-upper). Second, Electrolytes Plus combines all four of the positive electrolyte ions plus nine vitamins and iron supplements in one satisfying drink. And third, Electrolytes Plus comes in powdered form either as single packets or in a 21 oz. can. You supply the water.

The important thing to remember . . don't let your body battery run low on fluids and electric energy. Maintain a proper body fluid & electrolyte balance. Take restorative action whenever you engage in heavy physical work or play; encounter sudden illness; or, find yourself in extreme weather conditions that have diminished your vital fuel supply!
  6. judywhit

judywhit New Member

I went and bought "emer'gen C" today. Instant electrolyte mixed in water/ tangerine flavor. It has 1000mg vitC high potassium and tons of minerals. Many flavors to choose from. It is suppose to give you energy also. When out riding I get very dry and sometimes lightheaded from the heat and cannot pack lots of water. We do have these great bottled filters that the red cross endorses. they have a built in filter and we can drink safely from streams.I know I give my horses electrolytes so I am going to take care of me too.
    Look this up at alacercorp (with the net coms)Chuck Norris swears buy this stuff.
    thanks as always Pat for all the research you do! so helpful.
    Judy
  7. pam_d

pam_d New Member

....of the juice-type drinks, there is a bottled water called Essentia. It's plain, purified water with added electrolytes; I get it at my local health food store.

Hugs,
    Pam
  8. debbiem31

debbiem31 New Member

Gatorade also makes a bottled water filled with electorlytes, but without the yucky taste of regular Gatorade. For the life of me, I can't remember the name right now, but you don't have to get it from a health store, the grocery carries it.

[ advertisement ]