Power wheelchair

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by tedebear, Aug 11, 2005.

1. tedebear

tedebear New Member

Does anyone have a power wheelchair. Why won't insurance cover a portion or all? They state that I am not totally bed or chair confined so they won't issue the chair. I can't go farther than my driveway on foot or I'm breathless and every nerve and muscle swells. How ridiculous of them.
    I can go to K-Mart, Wal-Mart and the local grocery store with the car and cane or wheelchair pushed by someone, and use their carts that are motorized. But they won't issue a chair for me to be able to go places and not be confined all the time. Strange. Anyone else have this problem?
    Thanks!
    Teddy hugs.
  2. JLH

JLH New Member

I am in the same shape you are, only for other reasons. I can USUALLY drive myself someplace, and if I get the handicapped parking spot, I can manage to get in with the aid of my cane, to get their motorized cart.

However, I can not walk as far as to my mailbox, which is about 4-5 car lengths from my house.

I guess I understand about why insurance won't cover a power chair for everyone. They are so expensive and so many people abuse the system, that they would be buying tons of them. It's the abuse that has ruined it for those who are deserving.

My doc says that you have to be almost totally bedfast and totally confined to a wheelchair before they will pay.

My brother-in-law has one, but then he is a double amputee.

When I look at him, I feel bad that I want one because I have trouble walking, I then feel grateful that I just have legs.

The insurance did buy me a wheelchair and they would not have bought that had I not said that I spent at least 4 hours a day in it.
  3. gnanny

gnanny New Member

It will involve some money out of pocket yet but not as much as the price of one of those power chairs.

My husband bought me one from Ebay, like new for just over $800.

I know thats still a lot of money but a whole lot less than the $6000 it would cost new. There were lots to chose from. Most of them do not get over used. There was one that had every option and had never been used.

Just an alternative way to go for some.
  4. sheried

sheried New Member

My insurance is Tricare (military) and they covered mine. Dealing with them is just like medicare. Maybe your doc just doesn't believe you should have one. The med supply place wrote mine up and faxed it to my doc to sign and it went right through.

Wish I could offer some advice. Good luck.

Hugs,
    Sherie
  5. Bruin63

Bruin63 Member

I have the worst HMO in Ca. Everytime I ask about one, from a Company or a Medical Supply store, they want to know who my Ins. is, when I tell them, they say, that the HMO is the hardest to get, to cover the Cost.

Luckily, my Brother, gave me his, that he bought through one of the local Papers, that sell thing's.
    Ours is called the "Penny Saver".
    Anyway, it's a Scooter, which I need when I go out into the World.

I can walk, and stand, but not for a long time, I also cannot cross the Big Streets, with the signals, because they aren't timed right.
    I usually end up stuck in the Merdian. ugh!

My ankles give out on me, I have the FMS, Buckling Anles, & Knees, and a back that is a mess from Stem to Stern, you could say, ;o0 lol

I am hoping for the Powerchair for Christmas, it's easier to load onto a Bus, than the Scooter, but I like the feel of something in front of me, like the handel bar of the scooter, it gives me somthing to hang onto. Them Bumps are killers.

Used is good, but have someone check out the batteries.
    And the tires.
    Sharonk
  6. tedebear

tedebear New Member

Doc does agree I need a portable one. I have a permanent one at home now. But the insurance wants him to say I am total bedrest. If I were total bedrest I could not even walk out of the house. Go figure.