Practice of Physiatry for FM/CFS

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by MaLuce, Aug 1, 2006.

1. MaLuce

MaLuce New Member

Yesterday I had my first visit at the Physiatry Clinic.
    It actually was a great visit and seems that they are an "all encompassing" clinic to treat me head to toe.
    They talked about many things that I really did not want to hear, one being the push for me to attend aquatic therapy and eventually endurance training; and the other being the mandatory visits with a psycologist who specializes in FM.
    I have read that exercise is good for us with FM, but then it's not for CFS. What do those of us who have BOTH do???
    Some days I can barely go out the back door to let the dog out, let alone drive 40 miles to the pool therapy!!!!
    As for the pshycologist, I have been through ALOT in my life (parents multiple divorces, being pysically, mentially and sexually abused, my son being in Iraq, my husband being badly hurt and on SSI, losing my job due to my health, having to sell our house due to loss of job, bills piling high, not being able to get SSI, etc, etc,) and I stayed strong and handled it all internally without a psycologist!
    I am a little scared of now opening all this up, when it's just fine where it is.
    Although I am depressed because I'm tired, in pain and out of money, but if I could just get on my feet, all this could change.
    And out here where we live (small town of 1500), when people find out that you're seeing a "shrink" they treat you as bad as if you are a drug addict, and I dare not tell them that I'm takign pain killers round the clock now.
    Am I being PIG HEADED? Should I just "Cowboy UP" and try the treatment?
    Thanks!
    Sandi
  2. Leaknits

Leaknits New Member

Sandi, I've asked that same question re exercise and the person with both cfs and fibro! Never did get any answer that made any sense.
    I guess the best thing to do is to do what you can, exercise-wise, and then STOP.
    Regarding the shrink, and after reading what you say about your life, YOU know you best. If you don't feel right about letting a stranger into your life/mind/spirit, don't do it.
    Lea.
  3. kellyann

kellyann New Member

Hi Sandi,
    I have heard that swimming in warm water is supposed to be really good for FM. But that is a very long drive for you to get to the pool. I have both FM and CFS too, plus Lyme. So I know how you feel when you say some days you can barely let the dog out, haha!

You will just have to weigh out all the pro's and con's to getting the treatment or not. What helps me to decide things like this is to make a list. Just sit down and write down every thing good that you can think of that could come of the treatment. Then write down all the problems that could come up. Do you see what I mean? I hope I was some help to you, I am trying to be.

I will be praying for you,
    Take Care!
    Kellyann
  4. MamaDove

MamaDove New Member

This sounds just like what workers comp tried to do to me...

No matter what, GET ME BACK TO WORK...

I did ALL the therapies only to get more and more tired and they had me on pain pills and muscle relaxers which masked the damage I was doing during their wonderful protocol for not-yet-diagnosed FMS...

I did the pool therapy, pushed so hard because they said THIS would help me and I would get out just to shower and then either be hit with the a/c in the building in the summer or go out into the cold and snowy weather and tighten all up again...

They had me go through PACING techniques cause they felt if I paced myself instead of pushing myself, I would learn how to cope with life better...I tried to explain, I do what I can do, WHEN I can do...Pacing, that's for lazy people who need something to strive for...I do things when my body and brain allows because of the FMS and now CF...

My physiatrist is the first one to diagnose FM for me but had to be skeptical cause noone around him tolerated that as a REAL illness...I have a report he wrote that said "I believe the final diagnosis for Alicia will be fibromyalgia which has no know cause or cure at this time".

Now, if anyone suggests pain meds, anti-d's, nsaids, chiropractor, pool therapy, weight lifting, behavioral therapy, sleeping pills, any kind of diet or exercise plan, I walk the other way...I've been through it all and here I sit, worse than before and living with it...

For me, it's a big accomplishment, knowing what I know now, these docs were all quacks and working for the system, not for me...They did more harm than good and I will never be able to trust again...Except for the original physiatrist who tried to help me and gave me my first real diagnosis...FIBROMYALGIA

We live, we learn...

I hope if you do go through with this program it is helpful, we are all different as we now know and what may have been a waste of time for me may be the silver bullet for you...I know when we talk about this at my support group, it seems the only therapy that we all agree is somewhat helpful and enjoyable is the aqua therapy, but for most of us is too tiring (if you also have CF, which I do).

I hope this is understandable...I woke up to a friend in the hospital that just lost a baby and my Godfather had another emergency surgery...Gonna be a good day...NOT!

Peaceful days ahead~Alicia Let us know what you decide to do and if it is helpful...Good luck
  5. Cromwell

Cromwell New Member

I am confused. I have seen Physiatrist- a doctor who specializes in sports injuries etc. There was never any suggestion she was involved with psychology at all, but rather she was a DO who was also a physiotherapist.

I have never heard that physiatry was anything else, so this is something unusual for me to hear.

Just a penny for the bucket, she was less than useless and totally into sports med and not at all understanding of chronic non sports related pain.

Strangely the sports med doctor is far better than she was.(LOL)

From what I gather from your above tale, this doc sounds as if they are in the league of it is all in the m ind and nothing but some good exercise won't straighten out.

We were dealing with an adaptive PE teacher all last year for Danny, who refused to accept he has rheumatoid arthritis dx as well as autism.

Love Anne Cromwell ps I would follow your gut feeling on what you can and cannot do.