Praise report! Son found and.....

Discussion in 'Spirituality/Worship' started by sweetpeas, Jan 5, 2005.

1. sweetpeas

sweetpeas New Member

in detox hosp. right now!!!!! Thank you, Lord, and thanks to ALL of you who were holding him up in prayer!!! He actually sounded decent on the phone this evening when I called the hosp. to see how he's doing. It will be a long haul. He may be there anywhere from a few days to a week. This is his second time in detox. The tricky part comes after he leaves the hosp. and getting him to stick to the regiment of residential recovery living. So prayers are still greatly needed.
    THANKS AND PRAYERS OF BLESSING GO OUT TO ALL OF YOU!!!!!
    Hugs and love to this wonderful worship board,
    Sweetpeas
  2. MusicTeacher

MusicTeacher New Member

and relieved and thrilled to hear this news Sweetpeas. Praise the Lord!!

You clearly recognise that this isn't going to be easy but I'm hoping and praying that with your help and by God's grace your son can win through this time. However, "the enemy" won't like it one bit so I'm hoping all the prayer warriors on this site will keep praying you both through this and I claim God's mighty protection now for you both.

Praying on for you Sweetpeas and for your strength for the future as well as for your son.

Love and hugs across the Atlantic!

Music Teacher (UK)
  3. Posey

Posey New Member

Thank you for letting us know about your son. I've been thinking about you and him since you posted. Thank God he's safe and in a place to get help!

He is very blessd to have a mother like you who supports him and loves him so much.

My daughter is a recovering alcohol and drug addict and it is very painful when you have to sit and do "nothing" for awhile. Praise God she is now 4 months sober for the third time and is doing fairly well in her life.

It's always been very important to her that I'm there to love her no matter what even when I don't like the things she does. This last time though I learned something new myself. I learned that she was the one who had to go for the help because she wanted it, not because she felt like it was what everyone else wanted.

I've been going to AA meetings with her and we are able to talk more freely than ever. Sometimes she leans a little heavy on me and I have to tell her I can't be the one who helps this time so she needs to call her sponsor. She accepts that very well where as before she made me feel guilty and got mad at me.

I will continue to pray for your son's recovery and for your strength and wisdom. The ONLY "advice" I give you is to do it one day at a time. I know it's easier said than done and letting go is torture. It's hard to learn to trust when you've been hurt. That goes for your son too.

I hope your lines of communication can be opened and you both can find relief from the fear and lack of control.

You are in my heart and my prayers are with you always. May God bless you and your family always!

Love,
    Chris
  4. Dulcimerkid

Dulcimerkid New Member

Dear Sweetpeas,

I am so glad he is back and in detox. enjoy the peace that is being given to you while he is there. I pray for you and him that this time will be different that your prodical has come home and sees the error of his ways and will want to start fresh and look to the Lord for guidance.

Have you found a church yet? What help are you getting for you and for your spiritual welfare?

You continue to be in my prayers!!!

Love in Christ,
    Laurie
  5. sweetpeas

sweetpeas New Member

Thank you for consistently being there and continuing to pray for my son and me. You're right: the enemy won't like it a bit that son is in detox. I haven't talked to my son since the day he was admitted, so this is a definite departure from my usual "smother mother" techniques I've been accused of in the past. I haven't heard from either of the two residential resources lately re: updated benefits. Normally, I would be frantic about that, but I'm just taking it one hour at a time--baby steps, you know. He's a young man and may have to figure this one out on his own. I missed work too much last year because of his problems, and frankly, I'm exhausted!

How are you doing??? From what general area (not asking for specific city/don't mean to be intrusive) in the UK are you? I love it there. My ancestry is primarily British and then Celtic with a bit of Norman thrown in for good (or bad--ha, ha) measure. It's been a while since my last visit, but I still remember how so many of the churches seemed relatively empty. I've read that church attendance there has generally declined. Does this ring true with your observations?

Hugs and prayers for you, too, from a displaced Yank. :)

Sweetpeas
  6. sweetpeas

sweetpeas New Member

Thank you, Chris, for your sweet letter of concern. I've often wondered which is tougher to deal with--addicted adult sons or daughters. You're so right: it's essential to take it one day at a time. In fact, I'm just trying it an hour at a time. And you're also right about it being "torture" to let go!!! You said it so well! He's been in detox only once (get that!) before but in the hospital for other things--overdoses, etc. Before, I would always call the hosp. a couple of times a day and be there daily during visiting hours. I've stayed away this time. I've initiated too much contact, and now I think it's up to him. The really tricky part comes after detox. I don't want him at home, but I want to know that he's okay. Maybe I'm asking too much, but I'm exhausted from his disappearances and binges. Wow--four months sober/clean! Congrats to your daughter. That is great! I can't imagine (but would like to :) what that would be like. Would love to hear more from you. Thank you for your prayers! Prayers go out to you, too!

Hugs and prayers,
    Sweetpeas
  7. sweetpeas

sweetpeas New Member

Laurie,
    Thanks for keeping us in prayer. No, I haven't found a church yet, but I do keep in touch with a former retired minister of mine who is terrific! I can only hope and pray this time will be different for my son and that it will truly end up being a prodigal-type story. However, just before taking him to the hospital, I asked him if he wanted to take the new Bible I bought him. He answered with a flat and firm, "NO." I'm trying to give him some room this time by not calling and visiting. I did that every time before, and it didn't help. It just seemed to make him mad, and I ended up getting upset. Prayers are still needed. Thank you for praying.

God bless you,

Sweetpeas
  8. MusicTeacher

MusicTeacher New Member

Thanks for the personal message. I am sorry to see that they are closing the Worship Board on 1 February so I guess we'll not be able to keep in touch that easily. Please be assured I will continue to pray for you and your son.

I am from East Anglia - the flat part of the UK but, nonetheless very beautiful and home to towns such as Cambridge, Norwich, Ely, Lincoln and so on. I've lived here most of my life so I'm quite addicted to it really!

You are right about churches in this country - overall the Church of England/RC churches etc have been declining, although, PTL, this Christmas figures are up for attendance. However, more contemporary churches (house-based etc) are growing. 72% of people in the 2001 population census in the UK said they were Christian but, of course, we are also now a very multi-cultural country with a increasingly strong presence of Muslims, Jews, Buddhists, Hindus, Sikhs etc. It's quite hard, therefore, to get a true picture of where Christianity is in the UK but it comes in for a lot of bad treatment from the media which doesn't help.

Do take care Sweetpeas and thanks, again, for your reply. Draw strength from God and those who know and love you. I am sure you are right to give your son space so that he starts to own his own life and actions. Well done you - may God bless you both and give you his encouragement and support. Hold onto what you know is right, just and true and God will never leave you.

God bless
    Music Teacher (UK)