Pray, please, may lose toe!

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Adl123, Sep 26, 2005.

1. Adl123

Adl123 New Member

Dear All,
    I'm coming to you to ask you to pray. I have CFIDS and Fibro, as well as Diabetes.
    Last summer I had a toe operated on and it never quite healed. Now, it seems, that I have a fungal infection and have to have the nail removed. That wouldn't be so bad, but I am allergic to all antibiotics and to everything they know of that they can give me to help with the pain as they tear the nail off.

I'm really scared.

Does anyone know of a topical or natural anesthetic that would numb my toe for a while? The podiatrist is talking about calling in the hospital's anthesiologist! - especially if I need to lose my big toe.

Hope someone has an idea. Thanks.
    Terry
  2. luv2float

luv2float New Member

Don't be to scared. I'm sure your doctor will not let you suffer. I think an anthesiologist would be your best route, that way you won't know what's going on at all.

I hope you don't lose your toe, I'll say a prayer for you.

Good luck and God Bless
  3. rileyearl

rileyearl New Member

I would be scared, too. It sounds like your podiatrist will help you with pain. I would let the anesthesiologist do his/her thing. Music helps with recovery. You might wear a headset and listen to soothing music. You might also ask for something to relax you first--valium?

Let us know how it turns out. I'll be thinking of you!

Francie
  4. Dee50

Dee50 New Member

Hi Terry,
    I'm praying for you and don't be scared, you are tough you can handle this :)
    Terry while you are handleing this at the Doctors office, turn your thoughts to the new dog you are waiting for and what a joy in your life he or she is going to be!
    Maybe your doctor can use clove? Talk with him and get that worked out before hand and you will feel better.
    Take care,
    Dee50
    [This Message was Edited on 09/26/2005]
  5. ilovecats94

ilovecats94 New Member

Terry, I also have type 2 diabetes. I can handle some antibiotics and pain meds. I'm sorry you can't. I don't know what you could do to numb the pain. I certainly wouldn't want to go through this procedure without having something for pain, or being knocked out.

When I had an ingrown toenail worked on, the family doc gave me a shot in my toe. I don't know what it was, but that was prior to FMS. I was due for foot surgery within days for a plantar fibroma to be removed.

I hope things will work out for you. A high dose of Valium could knock you out if you can take that. I had that to sedate me for an MRI several times.

Good luck and prayers!

Hugs,
    Faye
  6. brit_17759

brit_17759 New Member

Just wanted to let you know, you will be in my thoughts and prayers as you face this scary ordeal. And hope that you will not lose your toe.

hugs,
    brit

7. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

I am praying for you. Antibiotics will not help a fungal infection. Are you also allergic to antifungal meds? My zapper keeps my toenails free from fungal infections down here in the jungle. It is noninvasive and not painful.

Is there a hyperbaric chamber in your area? They are using those for diabetics here with great success. Its use is preventing amputations in diabetics.

Finally, if all else fails, the doc may be able to put a rubber band around the toe to cut off blood supple just long enough to remove the nail. This would cause the toe to be numb. In any case, I hope you can tolerate some pain meds because it is going to be very painful after the nail is removed.

If it were me, I would investigate all other treatments before having this done. Removing the nail will cause another injury to the toe which may not heal. If removing the nail is the only alternative to saving the toe, that's one thing, but I would get other opinions and try other things first, if possible.

Best of luck and God bless you.

Love, Mikie
  8. Adl123

Adl123 New Member

-for your wonderful and caring responses.

I feel a lot less feearful, now, that I don't feel all alone. And, I will take into account all the wonderful ideas you dad. I just knew you would help! Thank you! Thank you! Thank yu!

Oh, and about the dog I'm waiting for - I think I have found her. She is a Golden/Lab cross and is HUGE and very sweet. I've nanmed her Elsa and I'm fostering her for 2 weeks to see if she works out.

Thank you all, again. I go to the Dr. next Tuesday.

Oh. He has prescribed Urea cream and it seems to be helping reduce whatever is going on. My toe is not as swollen.

I, think, though, that I will go back to my old podiatrist. I left him because I didn't like the way he cut my nails, which caused ingrown toe nails every time. But I think I'll eat crow and go back to see what he says.

God bless you all,
    Love,
    Terry
  9. Sheila1366

Sheila1366 New Member

I really hate that.A diabetics worse fear.I wish I new of an ointment you could put on it.

When will you know if they will have to remove it.I sure hope it can be saved.

{{{Terri}}}
  10. BLUEROSE7

BLUEROSE7 New Member

Just want you to know my thoughts and Prayers are with you.

Diabetes can really be hard, My dad is a Diabetic and he is slowly losing all his sight and just found out he has a Spur on his foot...

As of now he dosen't want to have the spur removed, because he fears the sugergy ontop of it not healing. He is able to take anibiotics though. Be sure to try some of the suggestions above first.

I agree with Mikie 100% on this one, Please get a second opinion at least before having this done.

Try not to be scared ok...If you have to have this done, im sure your doctor will do everything in his power to make you as comfortable as possible.

(((((Hugs))))) & Prayers
    Bluerose
  11. Leenerbups

Leenerbups New Member

Oh sweety, I understand your fear! But you will be fine. Just tell the doctor how fearful you are of the pain and the procedure.

Also, just to let you know, I had a very resistant fungal infection on my big toe too, I put tea tree oil on it everyday and it really helped.
    [This Message was Edited on 09/27/2005]
  12. Alyndra

Alyndra New Member

The tattoo/piercing studio I go to carries not only topical anesthetics but also injectable local anesthetics.

5 grams of Emla Cream runs about $15 and once it has been applied to skin, it gives a total numbing sensation that lasts for 45 minutes.

Your other options are Xylocaine 2% or Marcaine; which are both injectables that run about $20 a bottle. Your doctor should actually have Xylocaine right on hand. If not, most Pharmacies keep it in stock. It's what most doctors use to freeze the area while giving stitches. With the bottles, when you start to have feeling in the numbed area; another injection can be given to lengthen it's effects. With creams, multiple applications aren't recommended.

You may even be interested in finding who in your area carries the Emla Cream no matter what route your doctor takes for removing the nail. Once your at home after the procedure it might come in real handy!

Good luck to you, I hope everything goes in your favor!
    ~Amanda
  13. TXFMmom

TXFMmom New Member

I was a Certified Registered Nurse Anesthetist for 26 years before this DD got me. Believer me, there are local anesthetics and or pain meds you can take. Not all local anesthetics are chemically alike. There are groups which do not hsare the same chemical properties.

If you have had a reaction to one, it does not mean that others will do the same thing. Additionally, we would see all these patients who would come in and tell us that they were "allergic" to a local anesthetic. When questioned about it, we would discover that most discovered this during dental procedures. They would either have a very rapid heart beat, sweating, flushing, nausea, and a sense of impending doom or other symptoms. THAT USUALLY MEANT THAT THE DENTIST HAD INCLUDED EPINEPHRINE IN THE LOCAL ANESTHETIC AND THEN INADEVERTENTLY INJECTED THE STUFF INTO A BLOOD VESSEL.

That would result in the epinephrine being absorbed all at once and it is not meant to be injected directly into the blood stream.

The same thing can happen when the local anesthetic is inadvertently injected into the blood vessel. Patients can get very nasty experiences from it. Rather than to admit the truth, the dentists or doctors then tell the patient they are "allergic" to the local, etc.

There are true allergies to local anesthetics, but if one is allergic to one type or group, then that does not mean one is allergic to local anesthetics in the other groups. Testing with a tiny amount of a local anesthetic from a different group can identify it.

Additionally, there are anesthetically used narcotics and sedatives which are VERY SAFE AND WELL TOLERATED BY VIRTUALLY EVERYONE IN THE CORRECT DOSAGES.

IV Fentanyl, a narcotic, and Versed, a sedative ARE EXCELLENT FOR SUPPLEMENTATION OF A LOCAL ANESTHETIC. They are potent, easily dosed, and short acting.

Don't be so frightened. Speak with someone from Anesthesia ahead of the surgery and discuss your fears and ask about the things I have suggested. THEY CAN COME UP WITH A COURSE OF ACTION AND TREATMENT WHICH WILL BE SAFE AND EFFECTIVE FOR YOU.

Additionally, one can be supplemented with nitrous oxide and oxygen and NOBODY IS ALLERGIC TO NITROUS OXIDE.
  14. kbak

kbak Member

Praying for you and your toe!!
  15. ruby711

ruby711 New Member

When I had a hysterectomy the only thing that I could tolerate was IV toradol run over a pump (it is usually given all at once thru the IV). It is IV motrin/advil.
    Otherwise I would go with whatever the anesth. recommends. I am extremely sensitive to meds as well and I don't allow meds to be given "IV push" unless done by the anesth. for sedation.
    ruby
  16. Adl123

Adl123 New Member

Thank you for the information.

Actually, I'm allergic to all of the "aines", but I will investigate the Emla Cream.

Thanks, againk,
    Terry
  17. Adl123

Adl123 New Member

Dear All,

I went for a second opinion to my old podiatrist and he said the nail and growths around it had to come off.

A wonderful thing happened, though. As he was looking over my list of allergies, he asked me about Lidocaine. I told him what had happened before when my dentist had used it, and he told me that when dentists use it, it is usually mixed with another med (I can't remember the name), which contracts the blood vessels to reduce bleeding, and that was probably what caused the heart problem I had experienced on the operating table.

So, I said to go ahead with the Lidocaine,-- and I didn't have any trouble. It is wonderful to know that I am not allergic to Lidocaine!!!!

This Dr. explains everything. If the other doctors had done so, all the worry and complications would have been avoided!
    God bless my Podiatrist!

Thank you all for your support. Hopefully both the fungal and the bacteriologicl infections will go away, now.

Super big hugs to you,
    Terry
  18. Dee50

Dee50 New Member

I'm glad it's over--now on to better things like enjoying Elsa. Big is good! She can carry ya if she needs too!lol
    Dee50