PRAYER FOR STEP-SON STARTING A NEW MEDICATION

Discussion in 'Spirituality/Worship' started by another_painful_day, Dec 8, 2004.

1. another_painful_day

another_painful_day New Member

Hi its me again...
    I am asking please that you all pray for my step-son as he begins a new medication therapy for his ADHD and hopefully this will help with his learning disability (hes classified SLD) as well. Its part of the reason for the stress in the house. We tried a medication over the summer (Concerta) and it literally robbed him of his personality, threw him into withdrawl from his friends and all the things he enjoyed doing, stole his giggles and beautiful smiley face and caused severe anxiety especially in the middle of the night when he would wake up and cry hysterically for hours on end. It was a nightmare! We were so heartbroken for him. We took him off it right away because of what it did to him. We are so reluctant to try again but he is struggling thru 4th grade right now. Hes a good boy. He is so down on himself and he really is trying his best. Unfortunately, my hubby and I argue over him alot (which is causing problems) because there are discipline issues that Hubby wont recognize and he tends to "baby" him too much. This is also the reason why at almost age 10 he acts like hes only 5 yrs old. Hes a little undersized for his age also and gets picked on by the other boys every now and then at school or the neighborhood. I love my step-son alot...I wish he wasnt going thru so much. I also know that because of the hyperactivity (hes got constant ants in his pants) learning troubles, and his impulsiveness and unable to control himself, when I am exhausted I have a real difficult time dealing with him.
    Actually I wish our entire household including myself wasnt going thru so much...but we are...and we are also a great blended family that needs some prayer to help us along too. We are blessed to have each other.

So anyway, prayers for a good outcome. He saw his developemental Neurologist today and she feels very strongly about meds its just a matter of trial and error. In the meantime hes now on Straterra and maybe this one will work. We will know in 6 L O N G weekds from now. For now, its in Gods hands. We still feel very uncomfortable about the meds though.

thanks!
    -Diane
  2. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

My heart goes out to parents of children with special needs. I can only imagine how stressful it must be for you. My prayers are with all of you. I hope this works.

Love, Mikie
  3. sunflowergirl

sunflowergirl Active Member

I'm going to be praying for a good outcome on this new drug. Hang in there. Blessings to you.
  4. dash

dash New Member

Dear Lord,
    Please help this entire family through the trials they are experiencing. Guide the neurologist in her treatment of Diane's stepson. Please allow his new medication to produce postive results in his life.

Guide his parents and bring them to "one mind" concerning issues of discipline.

Let this child know his worth in You, Lord. Pour out Your love into his heart and free him from his burdens of self-doubt and anxiety.

Please provide him with Christian friends who will support him at school and in the neighborhood.

I pray these things in Jesus' name,
    Della

5. Sandyz

Sandyz New Member

I have a son with ADD too and you will find the right medication. Just keep trying. Concerta is what my son takes and its been great for him. It makes him more social(instead of withdrawn) and he has less anxiety on it. But everybody is differant.

We didn`t put our son on medication until this year. My husband was so opposed to the idea. But when he got to junior high, he was having such a hard time social and with his grades we had to do something.

Praying that you will find something that works well for him soon.

Sandy