Prayer for very sick son

Discussion in 'Spirituality/Worship' started by sweetpeas, Sep 22, 2004.

1. sweetpeas

sweetpeas New Member

It seems as though our immediate family has caught the hospitalization epidemic. Sorry to you wonderful folks out there who haven't heard from me in a while. I was hospitalized briefly and then my son recently. He went into a major seizure, was unconscious for quite some time, then was spitting up blood, then catatonic. I honestly thought he was going to die. I found out how horribly I react under life and death situations--I panicked but at least had the presence of mind to call 911 and render what care I could manage. He's an addict. How much of this recent episode was due to that or to an underlying pre-seizure state he was diagnosed with yrs. ago is anyone's guess. I've called for an ambulance for him more times than I can count....overdoses, attempted suicide, horifically rapid heart rate....you name it. The stealing, lying, ruining of property has really gotten to me. I've asked him to stay at a Christian emergency shelter to which he's agreed for only a couple of nights, but then he wants to either move in with a friend or relative a couple of hundred miles from here. I feel that he should ideally be in a Christian rehab facility and face up to and deal w. his problems rather than put someone else in that not-so-wonderful place of codependency where I've been. However, he's an adult. As I've shared with you folks before, part of my family is deceased (and with the Lord, thankfully!!!), but the other half is far away, unsupportive in this situation, and are unsaved. Am I doing the right thing by having him leave, or is this going to be something I regret for the rest of my life? Tough love doesn't always work....the down side most people don't hear about is the dual dx people (serious depression/suicidal), like my son, who simply give up because they mistakenly interpret tough love as no love and end up killing themselves. He's my only child. I'm sorry to have to burden anyone with a humongous (sp?) prayer request like this. Where is the Lord? I've cried out to Him so many times to intervene. Please pray for my son to have a deep, dedicated desire to recover and rededicate his life to Christ and to change, to make wise decisions and to somehow stay away from drugs long enough to truly recover. I'm also hoping against hope perhaps that he and I once again in the future enjoy the truly close mother-son relationship we once had. Thank you so very, very much for taking the time to read this and for your much-coveted prayers. You are a wonderful group of people. I mean that. I pray for your needs, and you are all in my thoughts and prayers even though you don't hear from me on a regular basis (my health and son's situation doesn't always allow as much of that as I'd wish). God's richest blessings on you all! Hugs, love, and prayers to you all.
  2. sunflowergirl

sunflowergirl Active Member

I pray that both my sons would turn to the Lord but it just doesn't happen. Drugs are so rampant.....I really don't know what my sons are doing. I pray for them constantly.

As to your son, can you do an intervention and force him to be admitted? I'm just not sure about it. I will pray for your son....that his eyes are opened to what he is doing to himself and to you and that he have a strong desire to get clean. God bless you and your son.
  3. luvumore

luvumore New Member

Praying for you and your son. You are facing such a terrible ordeal.
    my heart goes out to you. I will pray, and pray that everything will be ok again. God loves you and your son and he will surely answer our prayers
    love and God bless you xxxxxxx Danielle
  4. cinnabarsib

cinnabarsib New Member

May God grant you the peace, strength and endurance for your son and you as you go through this. I understand too well what you are going thru~ you will be in my prayers~that you are healing and also for your dear son~~~~~~~with love and hope, sib
  5. dash

dash New Member

Dear Lord,

I lift Sweetpea and her situation up to Your loving care. Please reveal Your will regarding how she should handle her son.

Intercede on his behalf and give him the opportunity to go into rehab.

Send many messengers of the Gospel into his path and soften his heart, plow it and remove the hard rocks of unbelief and the choking weeds of the world and prepare it for Your Word.

Reconcile mother and son and give Sweetpea hope for this lost child.

In Jesus' name I pray,
    Della

6. sweetpeas

sweetpeas New Member

Thank you, Sarah, for your encouraging words. Yes, I'm better; however, my son is "out there" somewhere. I, too, hope he will finally give in and go to Christian rehab, but he is a stubborn young man. I thought he was in a Christian shelter last night but found out he didn't make it there in time for check in and was staying with a friend. I don't know where he is tonight. Bless you for your response and caring.
  7. sweetpeas

sweetpeas New Member

I wish there were enough willing family members nearby to do an intervention with him; alas, there aren't. As he is over the age of 18, I can't forcibly admit him anywhere. I'm sorry to hear that you are not sure what your sons are doing. I had no idea before becoming a mother what true worry was all about! I peeked at your profile and absolutely love your art work--Tuscany sunflowers. You are truly talented!!! Don't give up; you definitely have a gift. I'm sorry to hear you suffer from fibro also. From firsthand experience, I know its pain well. God bless you for caring enough to respond. Do take care, Sun.
  8. sweetpeas

sweetpeas New Member

Danielle,
    Thank you for the prayers you're praying for my son and me. They mean more than you'll ever know (at least here on earth!--will thank you later in heaven!). Bless you.
  9. luvumore

luvumore New Member

I,m thinking of you and your son and keeping you in my prayers. I have 3 sons and ! daughter of my own and I understand what you mean about true worry now. Please let us know if everything is ok and if son has finally gotten himself some help. He does need and want help but he is fighting something stronger than himself right now. he needs love and patience and has to as soon as he can get into rehab. Its frustrating that he is 18 and can't force him . I feel your pain.
    keep strong. God will get both of you through this.
    talk to u later sweety.
    love and God bless xxxxxxxxxx Dani
  10. sweetpeas

sweetpeas New Member

Dixie,
    Thank you once again for your tremendous support and your WONDERFUL prayers! Yes, months ago I looked into Teen Challenge and even talked to a couple of their representatives. However, my son is in major denial. He refuses to go to any of the rehab places I've suggested. He's says he'd rather be on the streets than be in rehab or a group home situation. He is by no means a physically strong person, and he definitely has some serious medical problems (depression and now seizures) along with the addiction which scares me. I feel really trapped. He's back home (for now....how long, I don't know). I could go on and on, but I think I'll do a general posting to update everyone. God bless you, dear Dixie for your prayers. I'm praying for you, too.
    Love,
    Sweetpeas
  11. LynneH

LynneH New Member

My prayers are going out for you and your son. Addiction is such a frustrating disease and it's hard to understand.
    He is in its' grips and not being himself.

Interventions can be done with a counselor and just you, if need be. Call your local drug and alcohol council to find out where you might get a trained counselor to help you.

Whatever happens, God is there. Sometimes the answer isn't one we want to hear.

Love, Lynne
  12. sweetpeas

sweetpeas New Member

Bless you, Dixie, for all you thoughtfulness and remembering us in prayer. As you know, addiction is an on-going thing. I will be holding you up in prayer for peace for you and God's wisdom for your new dr. May this doctor be exactly what the Lord wants for you.
    Luv ya lots,
    SP
  13. ksp56

ksp56 Member

It is difficult to know what to do when a child is going through problems, like these.

I pray that you will continue to have the strength God has granted you, and for his healing grace.

These prayers are sent up regarding your son, also.

Kim
  14. sunflowergirl

sunflowergirl Active Member

Have you heard from your son? Saying prayers for you and him. It's so hard when our children are going through tough times. God bless you and your son.
  15. sweetpeas

sweetpeas New Member

Yes, Sun, he's back....not sure if that's a good thing or not. He's extremely angry, breaks things (sometimes accidentally because of whatever he's taking at the time or purposefully), and his behavior and words don't make sense. It's truly a nightmare living with an addict. As no one in my family/relatives is an addict, I have only the experience w. him to go by. Please continue to pray for us as I will for you.
    God bless you, Sun.
  16. cinnabarsib

cinnabarsib New Member

I am praying for you and your dear son.
    This has to be so hard on you~did you say how old is he? I`m in a lot of pain~hard to type. May I speak with you tomorrow?Please let everyone know how everything is going with you later.

~may God grant you peace and strength at this time.~~~~~~~with love and hope, sib
    [This Message was Edited on 10/03/2004]