Prayer of St Francis

Discussion in 'Spirituality/Worship' started by Rafiki, Mar 26, 2009.

1. Rafiki

Rafiki New Member

I went looking for The Peace Prayer said in homes, work places and churches around the world at 12 pm every day for Julies son. I found it and put it on her thread and prayed.

Unlike some of you, I don't know where my prayers go but I do not think they are in vain.

One of my favourite prayers is the prayer of St Francis. It strikes me as a very Buddhist prayer but that is just my prejudice and my limited experience of Christianity.

I think this is a beautiful prayer.

Lord, make me an instrument of Thy peace;
    where there is hatred, let me sow love;
    where there is injury, pardon;
    where there is doubt, faith;
    where there is despair, hope;
    where there is darkness, light;
    and where there is sadness, joy.

O Divine Master,
    grant that I may not so much seek to be consoled as to console;
    to be understood, as to understand;
    to be loved, as to love;
    for it is in giving that we receive,
    it is in pardoning that we are pardoned,
    and it is in dying that we are born to Eternal Life.

Amen.

2. Rafiki

Rafiki New Member

I'm very fond of St Francis and have taken my animals to be blessed on his feast day.

Peace,
    Rafiki
  3. Rafiki

Rafiki New Member

You have me grinning from ear to ear. It is beautiful, isn't it! As you say, what better thought!

with metta to you,
    Rafiki
  4. vivian53

vivian53 Member

Thanks Rafiki for praying for all of us and sharing such beautiful thoughts and feelings.

vivian
  5. Gingareeree

Gingareeree New Member

There has been a song composed based on this prayer,we sing it @ church occasionally. I love the blessing of the amimals as well......Jeanne
  6. Rafiki

Rafiki New Member

speaks so simply to a truth that, I think, has profound implications in each of our lives.

If we feel unloved and find someone who is unloved and show them love, we are healed. If we feel misunderstood and truly listen to someone, we are healed. If we give that which we most desire we have it ~ we are in relationship with it.

If we want love and we give love then love is in our life. It really doesn't matter in which direction it's pointed - coming or going, it's still love. I think what we really want is simply to be in the presence of love, kindness, generosity, understanding, Goodness. Be it and it is there.

This prayer says that so simply and beautifully. Be the change.

Peace

ETA I'd love to hear the song. I wonder if it's on YouTube.
    [This Message was Edited on 03/26/2009]
  7. springwater

springwater Active Member

how beautiful are these words are they not?

When my son and daughter were studying at their former school, (till grade 10), the school used to open their annual concert with this wonderful wonderful song.

Thanks for posting.

(Lord, make me an instrument of thy peace......:)) lovely

God Bless
  8. Sacajawea2

Sacajawea2 Member