Prayers Going Up For Those In Ike's Path

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Mikie, Sep 12, 2008.

1. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

My joy at having missed being hit by a hurricane is always tempered by the knowledge that it will hit someone else. My prayers are with everyone in harm's way.

My kids have a house in Galveston. It's on the historic list as it survived the big hurricane way back when one wiped out most of the town. Their renter has evacuated. I hope this storm doesn't destroy it. My SIL-s Mom is headed to CO from Houston to get out of town. I hope they don't get flooding there.

We are just now at the peak of hurricane season, so it's probably not over yet.

Love, Mikie

BILLCAMO New Member

Blessings ,

3. Granniluvsu

Granniluvsu Well-Known Member

Yes, I have 3 children in Houston and I am north of Houston, 50-75 miles away depending where in Houston. Galveston is another hours drive or so I think for us. However, at this point it's path is heading towards Conroe where we 10 or so miles from.

They are busily already rescuing people from Galveston that were to - - - - - to leave when they were told to evacuate. I would have been gone a long time ago.

Mikie - Yes, I hope that old historic buiding is saved but somehow it already sounds really terrible with flooding even before the storm has already has come on shore.

Keep the prayers coming everyone please.

4. GreenOnions

GreenOnions New Member

are in my prayers. I hope they all stay dry and safe. A couple a guys I served with in Nam have family down there.
  5. findmind

findmind New Member

Prayers going, going, gone!

I know you all must be worried sick about your kids; the reports don't look good at all for Houston, much less Galveston, which may just disappear forever.

granniluvsu; don't panic, try to stay calm and think ahead of the storm.

6. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

One of the outer bands went over and it hit like a freight train. It knocked her electricity out but it came back on. She e-mailed me and Nanna that she was OK. I am hoping that, since her house held up through Katrina, she will be OK. I'm waiting to hear from her. She is out in the country and if she lost her electricity, it could take a long time to get it back on.

My kids don't live in Galveston; they live in CO. They own a house in Galveston and rent it out. They have a good renter and I'm sure she was smart enough to get out. I just hope they still have a house. I think their house was toward the east end of the island where there is the seawall. The west end had more damage.

I saw all the flooding in Houston. Of course, being alive is the most important thing but every time I see people knee deep in water in their homes, it breaks my heart.

Thank you all for adding your prayers. I continue to pray because it appears that the area which was affected is in bad shape.

Love, Mikie
  7. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Thanks for asking. I hope you are doing well.

About a month ago, I got food poisoning and it was bad. It took two antibiotics and three weeks for me to get my strength back. Thank God our hours at work have been cut. I simply rested up around my work schedule and didn't miss any work.

Last week, I decided to deep clean my bedroom (never a good idea :) Anyway, as the mattress shifted, it knocked me into a table and the wall and I fell on my old vacuum. It snapped the brittle old handle and I had to get a new one--it was time anyway. I have been in some pain since but am basically OK.

Thing is that a couple of years ago, either one of these things might have put me in bed full time. I believe it is progress that I've been able to weather these setbacks and can still work. Progress and healing is agonizingly slooooooow with these illnesses.

Take care.

Love, Mikie