Prayers needed for brother in Iraq.....Please

Discussion in 'Spirituality/Worship' started by Lendy5, Jul 8, 2007.

1. Lendy5

Lendy5 New Member

Last night we had just pulled in our driveway when my sister who lives next door started walking over towards me. I didn't think anything about it other than her just coming over to visit like she does on occassion.

I was walking up the steps when she said Tim has been admitted into the hospital and he is dropping weight and has caught an unknown virus. She didn't know anymore than that and we don't even know where he is. He was sent over to Iraq a couple months ago as a training officer in Iraq and from what I have heard he has been in Berut(sp?) recently.

She asked me did I want his email addy and I told her no and then I changed my mind and said yes. Our niece through our older brother keeps up updated since we don't speak to our 3 brothers since our grandmas passing three years ago. She (Julie) keeps us informed on how everyone is doing and it's sad what has happened to our family because we were a close family.

I am the baby of the family and Tim is next in age to me and he and I shared harsh words 3 yrs ago and he told me he never wanted to talk to me again. I need advise on what I should do because me and hubby have three kids and I have suffered from panic attacks over my family and him leaving for Iraq sent me to the hospital when he left. It's a tough situation because I normally don't want to hear anything because I can't change this on my own.....I don't know how. I don't want to sound selfish because I would do anything for my family but I have been hurt so much from all of this. I don't want to make him feel worse.

Thanks for any advise you can give me and sorry to be so long.

2. MIssAutumn

MIssAutumn New Member

Carolin,
    One of the hardest lesson the Lord has put me through is total forgiveness with everyone and anyone who has hurt me. It's a hard thing to do and I've had difficulties with my family. One thing I don't want is God to judge me as I've judge other people, and I never ever want to hear a "Woe, unto you" from our Lord. He will deal with the offending person and His judgment will be a lot harder than any thing you can do or say.

I did a search on Biblical forgiveness and found some wonderful advice there that really helped in fact I read some of it every day. I have to!

The one thing that really hit my heart was Jesus died on the cross for our sins. "For God so loved the word He gave His only begotten Son" He forgave us so how can we who live in the flesh do any less. I am not more righteous than God He forgave then so can I. The enemy isn't going to let me off easy on this one and it's an every day battle not to let the thought come creeping in on being vindicated or rehashing every word that was said.

Beth Moore has a great book called Praying God's Word on spiritual strongholds.

But, boy is it hard sometimes. Then I remember that this life here is only for a little bit then we will have eternity with our Lord, so a few words really aren't that important - people are.

A while back I was so furious at my brother I kicked him out of my house. He's living with us and is on dialysis! I thought "Oh Lord what have I done, how can Joseph do home dialysis living under a bridge?" It was horrible. I finally called my son and he and my granddaughter went looking for him and did find him. We were both so ashamed and relived that it hadn't gotten worse. Sometimes the longer a fight goes on the harder it is to mend.

How about if you just send an email/card www.gospelgreetings.com is a great site. And if you don't hear back then maybe a letter? With a sister I just acted like nothing had been done. This one was really bad, even worse than kicking out your sick brother LOL and she still hasn't made peace with it but I pray she will with God. It's His judgement on her that scared me - she's is a Christian.

Another lesson I did was was not taking offense, that really goes with forgiveness. Both are hard and have to do with pride satan's weapon against Christians.

It's all part of growing as a member of Christ's church. these lessons' we need. Remember the way is narrow and it seems to be getting more narrow.

I will pray for you and your brother.

Sarah
    [This Message was Edited on 07/08/2007]
  3. kriket

kriket New Member

If it's in your gut to talk to him, then you need to talk to him or email him. Chances are,he could be feeling the same way you do wishing that the harsh words were never spoken.

Kriket
  4. joyfully

joyfully New Member

I'd keep the message simple in the card. Say something like, "Thinking of you. We pray you get well soon!"

5. Nanie46

Nanie46 Moderator

Carolin,
    We are taught that if we want to go to heaven we must follow God's teaching. That includes the Ten commandments.
    Because we are human it is hard for us to put aside our pride(which is a sin), and forgive. However, that is what God says we must do.

It is obvious that you care about your brother(s) or you would not have been upset to hear he went to Iraq and is sick. Imagine how terrible you would feel if he didn't come home and you never resolved your diffrences. You would really regret that.

This is the time to forgive. I bet he will be glad to hear from you and hear your concern for him.

We know that God should come first in our lives, and by doing that we actually live a better life for our family. It is easy to know what is the right thing to do if you follow what God teaches us.

I empathize with you, as my son is in the Army Reserve. I pray that he does not have to go to Iraq.

I will pray that you find the courage to forgive and bring your family closer again, and that your brother reciprocates that attitude and recovers from his illness.