Prayers, please, re: rain of all things

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by CinCA, Feb 25, 2006.

1. CinCA

CinCA New Member

Sorry...this sounds so trite, but rain where I live can be anything but. I live in southern California, and they are forecasting a big storm to slam the coast over the next couple of days. We just moved and now live near the Malibu/Thousand Oaks burn areas (and are not too far from foothills of mountains that could get up to 10 inches of rain in 36 hours), and our home we are still trying to sell is on a coastal hillside further south, with a steep slope across the street. Fortunately, the winter has been very dry, so things should be okay, but I was on pins and needles last year with all of the mudslides and slope failures around us (our home is 15 mins. from Laguna Beach). I got to where I couldn't even sleep each night it rained...kept having nightmares the hillside across the street collapsed.

Please, could you think of us over the next couple of days and pray that our home stays safe and we don't get hit too badly in the house we are renting now? The house should be okay, but we have an ugly drive to work and my daughter's school, that we've never done in inclement weather yet (but it's up a steep grade to start and then into a valley that had a lot of fire/burn areas that are very susceptible to the rain). I am praying everyone out here stays safe, and Mother Nature doesn't get too angry. I really don't need any more stress in my life right now.

Thank you so very much.
    C.
  2. CinCA

CinCA New Member

I so appreciate it! Honestly, I'm doing okay today, although I was getting wiggy reading the doom and gloom weather forecast earlier. They always seem to do that, though, this being CA and all, but I grew up in the Midwest so I do know bad weather when I see it. Hopefully we aren't in a flood plain...I wouldn't even know (we just moved here a couple weeks ago), but I don't think so. At least I have 4WD on my truck if I need it.

I've decided if the weather is as bad as they say I will just keep my daughter home from school and hunker down inside. Luckily, she's still in preschool, so it's not a huge deal if she misses, although I try not to as she's now in a pre-K/K class. It is very funny how freaked people out here get about rain, but when a deluge like this is forecast, you really do have to take it seriously. The geography, with the mountains, canyons and the like, isn't too water-friendly, and flooding and mudslides can become very real possibilities.

At least I won't have to water my plants for a few days! And being stuck inside will force me to finish unpacking, which I want to do as my mom is coming to visit in 10 days. Then, we leave for a work trip/mini vacation in mid-March, and I am very much looking forward to that. Busy, busy...my life never, ever stops. Fortunately, I seem to be getting stronger in general just between working out a little and even running up and down the stairs of our now 2-story house, so that seems to give me more endurance and makes the bad days not last quite as long. Last night was a nasty one, but at least I felt better today as the day went on. And hubby's back, so I got a bit of a break from caring for my daughter this evening. I am so sick of these mood/energy swings, though...ugh!

Thanks again.
    C.
  3. kbak

kbak Member

Cinca,
    Hi, I'm going to be out there in 3 wks. My mom lives 45 min NE of San Diego, in Pauma Valley. She's having surgery, so I need to go help. I sure understand your flooding concerns. If it aint flooding it's fire. My mom lives just up from a creek bed, so I'll have to keep an eye on that situation too.

Saying a prayer right now that you and your family will be safe.

K.
  4. CinCA

CinCA New Member

I appreciate the prayers/thoughts and will do the same for your mom as she prepares for her surgery. It is wonderful you are going out there to help, and I hope she weathers this approaching storm well, too. Fortunately, it isn't supposed to be as bad in the San Diego/O.C. areas.

Have a safe trip, and hopefully spring will be well on its way by the time you go. Thanks again.

C.
  5. kbak

kbak Member

Cinca,
    Talked to my mom today. They are forcasting 6 in. for her area. The trouble is, they are at the foot of a mountain on one side and the creek bed on the other. The last time they got 6 in. it flooded out the road they turn out onto to go to town. When that happens they have to take a very long way around the flooding to get to town. On the positive side, this is happening before I get there, so maybe all the problems will be over by the time I'm there. Hoping for that nice sunny, warm CA weather when I get there, to escape the blah Wyoming weather here :)

K.
  6. Cromwell

Cromwell New Member

Praying for you.

Love Anne C
  7. Hope4Sofia

Hope4Sofia New Member

I don't live there anymore but I understand the danger and will pray for safety.

Sofi