Praziquantel for Human schistosomiasis(swimmers itch)

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by simonedb, Aug 3, 2009.

1. simonedb

simonedb Member

I was thinking about all the potential things that could have contributed to me getting cfs and one thing that happened a year before I really lost it was going swimming in park lake in wisconsin and seeming to get some itch/dermatitis on face after that and it recurred, but no dermatologist acknowledget the swimming could be related and just called it rosacea.
    Anyway a lot of other things went wrong the next year that contributed to my downfall but I wonder if this ties in as well and if it would be worth it to take the praziquantel at this point, 20 years later. artesunate is being used for it too.
    the interesting things is that it hasnt been acknowledged that Human schistosomiasis happened in midwest in the 80s, they would probly say other causes for swimmers itch. but my research the other day seemed to indicate that worst case scenario left unchecked Human schistosomiasis could cause gut problems and spinal pain problems etc. It doesnt seem tradl med though is looking at this as a common possibility in fm and cfs right now.

Human schistosomiasis
    Original Text
    Prof Bruno Gryseels MD a Corresponding AuthorEmail Address, Katja Polman PhD a, Jan Clerinx MD a, Prof Luc Kestens PhD a
    Schistosomiasis or bilharzia is a tropical disease caused by worms of the genus Schistosoma. The transmission cycle requires contamination of surface water by excreta, specific freshwater snails as intermediate hosts, and human water contact. The main disease-causing species are S haematobium, S mansoni, and S japonicum. According to WHO, 200 million people are infected worldwide, leading to the loss of 1ยท53 million disability-adjusted life years, although these figures need revision. Schistosomiasis is characterised by focal epidemiology and overdispersed population distribution, with higher infection rates in children than in adults. Complex immune mechanisms lead to the slow acquisition of immune resistance, though innate factors also play a part. Acute schistosomiasis, a feverish syndrome, is mostly seen in travellers after primary infection. Chronic schistosomal disease affects mainly individuals with long-standing infections in poor rural areas. Immunopathological reactions against schistosome eggs trapped in the tissues lead to inflammatory and obstructive disease in the urinary system (S haematobium) or intestinal disease, hepatosplenic inflammation, and liver fibrosis (S mansoni, S japonicum). The diagnostic standard is microscopic demonstration of eggs in the excreta. Praziquantel is the drug treatment of choice. Vaccines are not yet available. Great advances have been made in the control of the disease through population-based chemotherapy but these required political commitment and strong health systems.
  2. simonedb

simonedb Member

anyone use it?
    anyone remember going swimming and seeming to get something within year before cfs/fm?
  3. TiffanyBlue

TiffanyBlue Member

I know this was an old question, but I'm desperate for answers, too.
    I had little sand-like grains that started appearing in my hair in 2008, but after about a year, they stopped and I forgot about them. Then my daughter and I had some little water blisters and swimmers itch ("dermatitis" as the dr called it) in 2009. Again, it went away and I forgot about it. I then tested positive for H pylori shortly thereafter, after having blood in my stool. Took a PrevPac to treat it, then had gastric bypass in 2010. I came down with chickenpox in 2011. My daughter had severe mono & co-infections in 2013. Right after that, I had a virus-like illness that caused vertigo, nausea, vomiting, night sweats, day sweats too actually, stomach issues, and a ton of other oddball problems too. Cue the burning pain in every nerve in my body & severe aching/soreness. Then came the fibromyalgia diagnosis in 2014.
    I am now finding out through tons of research that these are all related to the same type of bacteria or parasite. Schistosomiasis seems to be one of those things that can be an underlying cause. The hard part is getting medical professionals to believe that such things can happen in our developed nation - it's not just a third world problem.
    I hope doctors open their hearts & minds to do more research in connecting the dots with these things! So many immune related things stem from what's happening in our digestive tracts, and I feel it's very much overlooked and underestimated.
    I wonder how the original poster is doing now, and what treatments were undergone. If you're still out there, please post an update.
    Ultimately, I hope for a cure for all of us suffering from such strange illnesses. It's absolutely awful to endure.