Prednisone and Lyme's disease

Discussion in 'Lyme Disease Archives' started by nyssagirl, Jul 22, 2007.

1. nyssagirl

nyssagirl New Member

I have heard not to take Prednisone if you have Lyme's disease. Can anyone tell me why?
    Thanks,
    Lynda
  2. mollystwin

mollystwin New Member

I have read that steroids make the lyme much worse in the body. I read an article on a person who was given steroids for their "MS" and got extremely ill. Turns out they really had lyme.

3. nyssagirl

nyssagirl New Member

I just returned from las Vegas with my girls. I asked my MD for some steroids for my trip. She reluctantly gave me seven pills. I took three and then stopped. I got worse and couldn't sleep.
    Thank you for your replyLynda
  4. amk33

amk33 New Member

Prednisone suppresses your immune system. This is exactly what it is prescribed for (swelling, allergic reactions, etc. are all due to your immune system overeacting to some kind of foreign stimuli). With your immune system suppressed, the spirochetes have a field day!
  5. cherylsue

cherylsue Member

I read the same thing that twinofdar mentions.

Going back to the beginning when I first came down with CFS in 2000, I had been treated a few months earlier with a cortisone shot for a frozen shoulder. I always wondered if there was a connection. Maybe, I was already infected, and it just took a few months to come out.

CherylSue
  6. munch1958

munch1958 Member

I've read that people with neuroborreliosis or neuro Lyme can hallucinate when given steriods. This happened to me when I was given prednisone while in the hospital in 2001.
  7. klutzo

klutzo New Member

I know all of this about how bad it is for us, but what do you do in the following situations, all of which I have encountered within the past year, and one of which I have right now......

1. You are stung by fire ants and have an anaphylactic reaction. (The TH2 dominance of Lyme has made me allergic to everything)

2. You get such bad sciatica you can't lay down and must sleep in a chair. Sitting and standing hurt too, and you must double your muscle relaxer dosage to be able to bear it. (Lyme arthrits damage to my lumbar spine and piriformus/soas syndrome cause a tendency to sciatica, even though I do PT exercises for this daily)

3. You get bursitis from the position your arm was put in during surgery and cannot raise your arm or lift it out to the side. Sleeping on that shoulder causes horrid pain, and that is the side you normally sleep on.

In case #1, I had to have a large dose of cortisone to save my life. It caused a Lyme rage that lasted 24/7 for three whole weeks!

In case #2, I put up with it for 7 long weeks, but could not stand it anymore, so I had a small shot of cortisone. I got much weaker and had a case of thrush from it, but it did relieve the sciatica. I now use a grab bar and an elevated commode seat to try to help prevent future recurrance.

I have been living with problem #3 for almost 4 months now, rather than get a shot, but I am so worn out from the pain that I don't know how much longer I can stand it. PT exercises are not helping and it is not getting better. Natural anti-inflammatories are not helping either.

I know cortisone is bad for my Lyme, but how much can a person take? Untreated pain is also very bad for the immune system. It's a real dilemma.

Klutzo