Prednisone ?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by MamaDove, Sep 2, 2005.

1. MamaDove

MamaDove New Member

Hi again,

Seems I have some questions today...

Anyone been on prednisone for inflammation/pain for FMS, arthritis, ulcerative colitis, etc...?

After trying to find pain meds that actually do more harm than good for me, I have not taking any pain meds for over a year...As most of you know, that isn't a good quality of life being miserable ALL the time...But with my experiences with meds, always side effects, some causing great health risks, I have been leary of trying anything else...

The last time I saw my rheumy, my symptoms and pain complaints brought him to the suggestion of "prednisone therapy", short time, of course...

I was desperate last night and took two "Tylenol for Arthritis" before trying to sleep...My husband reminded me this morning of why I had stopped taking them months ago...It doesn't fare too well with my UC...I am paying for it today...BTW, it doesn't relieve the pain either!!!

Any guidance and sharing of experiences would be helpful...
    My past experience with prednisone was with my Dad who took it for years, he had severe rheumatoid, I saw what it did to him and I dread the side effects but need the relief...

Thanks again everyone for reading and caring enough to respond~Alicia
  2. sofy

sofy New Member

when they convinced me I didnt have lyme disease in 1991 even tho I had a posited test. They said I had polymyalgia rheumatica and prednisone was one of the only things that could help me.

I could barely move and the pain was excruiciating so I signed up. I was so sick and didnt have a computed back then so just did what the doc said with no ????'s.

No one mentioned it would take a massive toll on my bones. Had I known then what I know now I wouldnt have touched it and would have found a lyme literate doc.

It really did help short term but Im convinced its what ate up my adremal glands. I went from sleeping 14/7 to going to bed at 1am and getting up at 4am and going like a crazy person full speed ahead.

My daughter said I was mon to the 10th power and that was waaaay more than any daughter should have to endure. She was laughing but it was true.

It is a heave duty medication and the side effects are everlasting and IMO life shortening.

Your short term relief will be very expensive. I hope you find an answer.

Ps I found heavy doses of magnesium now keep my pain at a managable place. I take 1500mgs every day. I take a combo of glycinate, malate & oxide. The glycinate is most expensive but is less likely to keep you running to the poty all day long. My dose if unusually high but I found it works for me and anything less the pain get too much

[This Message was Edited on 09/02/2005]
  3. smiffy79

smiffy79 New Member

my little brother has that for his asthma (w/complications)
    he is really horrible on that,he rants and smashes his way through the house,he is like an ogre.

honestly he loves my kids but when the dr puts him on that i keep my kids away!

and dont forget its a steroid after all,you could bloat or like my brother go super muscley.
  4. puppyfreak

puppyfreak New Member

I took Prednisone for about 2 years because [in addition to the Fibro] I have Autoimmune Vasculitis. It got that under control [along with an immunosuppressant that I'm getting weaned off now] but I gained 35 pounds [I've lost it again but have a flabby belly] and I have osteopenia [one step before osteoporosis].
    It never helped my Fibro pain [nor did 800mg of Ibuprofen every 6 hours]. I now take long-acting Morphine, Vicodin, and Neurontin which do help some.
    I would consider exactly which symptoms you're targetting, as well as the cause of those symptoms. And how long you'd be on it, your risk factors for side effects, etc.
    Then you can make a more informed decision since it's not a drug to take casually.

Char