Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by beverly20024, Aug 15, 2012.

1. beverly20024

beverly20024 New Member

Doc put me on 7 days of prednisone 40 mg. per day for a sinus infection that would not abate. It resolved the sinus infection, but more importantly, my FM pain went into remission. How can this be? I told the doctor who was very surprised at my body's reaction. Any advice? Has this happened to anyone else?
  2. IanH

IanH Active Member

This was exactly my reaction 15 years ago. I was diagnosed with reactive arthropathy at the time. When I was put on prednisone most of the FM pain went away - for about three months then came back gradually, then worsened around 1 year after at which time I was diagnosed FM and immediately taken off prednisone.

Both of these Rheumatologists got it wrong. I was later diagnosed with ME.
    Now, if I had ME then the predisone probably did some damage. If I had had FM, without ME I don't know what the outcome would have been. Good luck with that. I hope it has helped but research says the opposite. Question is "what is Fm anyway?"
  3. MicheleK

MicheleK Member

I have both M.E. & FM. I too respond very well to prednisone, but only in short bursts. I feel like a new woman for the week or two I am on them for severe inflammation attacks. But the drug is so harmful in the long term that it just isn't an answer for our symptoms. I feel bad for those with Lupus and other autoimmune diseases where they have to be on prednisone at high doses a lot.

4. Jittle

Jittle Member

my husband has been on prednisone since he was a teen (for his own chronic condition). He takes a low dose, but even a low dose over a long time can lead to bone loss. He now has to take Vitamin D and Calicum since getting results of a bone scan test.
  5. beverly20024

beverly20024 New Member

Grapeseed extract - I will buy it this week. Thank you for the suggestion!
  6. beverly20024

beverly20024 New Member

The doctor allowed me to take prenisone during vacation and I was able to participate somewhat for the first time in 15 years. Unfortunately the crash thereafter perhaps took away any of the good feelings I had. It was horrific. My next try is Cymbalta.
  7. beverly20024

beverly20024 New Member

I'm sorry your husband has to go through it. :(
  8. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

I got some pink sea salt from the Himalayas from Dr. Mercola. This salt contains many trace minerals needed to make bone in our bodies. It's delicious. My own doc told me to stop taking calcium because of it's possible link to cancer and heart disease. I have osteopenia in one hip but there has been minimal bone loss in the last two years.

Love, Mikie
  9. Nikki

Nikki Member

for sinus infections. It does help me w/the fibro pain and also w/energy. But haven' taken any in yrs. Wish it had no bad side effects.