Pregabalin????

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by WifeHasFMS, Nov 5, 2002.

1. WifeHasFMS

WifeHasFMS New Member

Hi everybody,

I just received an e-mail from ImmuneSupport.com. Does anybody know anything about this drug? Side-Effects?

Thank you,

WifeHasFMS
  2. WifeHasFMS

WifeHasFMS New Member

Hi everybody,

I just received an e-mail from ImmuneSupport.com. Does anybody know anything about this drug? Side-Effects?

Thank you,

WifeHasFMS
  3. WifeHasFMS

WifeHasFMS New Member

I thought it was on the market already.
  4. amymb74

amymb74 New Member

What is it used for treating?
  5. Shoobie

Shoobie New Member

In development by Pfizer researchers in Ann Arbor, Michigan, pregabalin is a promising new medicine in late-stage development. It will represent a major advance in the treatment of neuropathic pain, epilepsy, anxiety disorders, and other neurological conditions. Currently in Phase 3 clinical trials, pregabalin has demonstrated strong efficacy in all three indications, as well as good tolerability and safety combined with a rapid onset of action and a simple dosing regimen. Patients suffering from neuropathic pain also commonly suffer from sleep disturbance. Pregabalin has demonstrated efficacy in this area as well. Throughout 2001, studies were underway to provide additional data to fully resolve the safety concern that emerged in one mouse study. These new studies will provide a robust data package that will enhance the prospect of pregabalin receiving a timely approval. Pfizer plans to file pregabalin for neuropathic pain, epilepsy add-on therapy, and generalized anxiety disorders in 2002. Subsequent filings are planned between 2004 and 2006 for social anxiety, panic disorders, fibromyalgia, and epilepsy monotherapy.

-Shoobie
  6. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

I wonder what the benefits are over using the Klonopin. Klonopin is designed to modulate GABA.

Love, Mikie
  7. janskie

janskie New Member

am curious as to when it will be available and how can we find out more about it? In the meantime what are FM people using to treat the pain? thankx J
  8. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

I credit the Guai and the Klonopin for my reduction in pain. If I could only keep one medication, it would be the Klonopin. It gives me the quality of sleep which helps produce Hgh, repairs muscles, and allows me to awaken refreshed. It also has done away with my anxiety and really helps reduce the sensory overload. I imagine this new drug is similar. Not everyone can tolerate the Klonopin, but for me, it has been a miracle. BTW, you can learn more about it by reading Dr. Cheney's article on Klonopin in our library. It doesn't really go into the GABA modulating effects but does a great job of explaining why we have sleep, anxiety, RLS, and sensory overload problems and why Klonopin works.

Love, Mikie
  9. klutzo

klutzo New Member

I thought Klonopin was a benzodiazepeine, in which case it actually robs stage 4 sleep like all the others. I take a benzo myself (Xanax) because I can't sleep without it, since my mind thinks night is day! But, I have been told by many docs that I am preventing my maximum recovery by taking benzos, since they are proven to eliminate stage 4 sleep. Madwolf, do you have a comment on this?
    BTW, I just take plain ole GABA itself. It's cheap, has no side-effecs ,and does help me stay calmer. It is no cure-all, but it is known in alt. medicine as "the chill pill".
    KLutzo
  10. LilSis

LilSis New Member

I did not read all of the posts, but it is already being persbribed (sp? fog day). I met a really cool person on here & it turns out we are only about 5 miles from each other. Anyway, she started the drug on Monday. Before I give you any personal info (private email), I will chat with her over the weekend and give everyone a progress report. Or have her post herself.
    Wow, just imagine, 1 or 2 meds a day compared to (18 in my case)!
    Glad to see the hubby is here.
    LilSis