pregnancy advice fo lady with c.f.s.

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by chufster, Dec 13, 2005.

1. chufster

chufster New Member

hi there,first time at this, so here it goes...
    im looking for words of advice from anyone who has or knows of women who have been able to have kids with this condition.Im pretty much housebound and have to rest about eight hours a day, so im pretty poorly.however the old body clock is ticking away.. and i'd like to look into the possibility..any views out there, many thanks!
  2. kylesmom

kylesmom New Member

I had had CFS for about a year when I got pregnant the first time. We had planned out very specifically long before I got sick when we wanted to have kids, and I/my doctor/family/all decided that we weren't going to let this disease dictate the rest of my life. I was not housebound, though. I was still able to work about 25 hours a week, and through lots of energy conservation and pacing techniques, was very functional (albeit, very tired). I had no trouble getting pregnant (first try, much to my husband's displeasure) and felt GREAT during the pregnancy. About six months after my son was born, I crashed really hard. Caring for him and working became very difficult, but I wouldn't have done anything differently. I have since had a second child, my daughter. Again, I had no problem getting pregnant, but the pregnancy was much, much harder. I had migraines every day for two months, I never got any energy burst, it was pretty horrible. Managing a three year old, a newborn, work, and CFS made that first year really difficult. Now, I work two days a week and am home with my babies the rest of the time. We get by. You can see my thread, too, about parenting small children.

My advice is to not let this disease ruin your life any more than it already has, so if you always planned to have kids, you still should. But, do try and get yourself in the best possible shape you can before trying to get pregnant. I'd start taking a real serious look at my diet, start taking the prenatals now, and eat healthy, healthy, healthy. Drink tons of water, try some easy exercise (depending on what you can personally tolerate), and take a good look at how many hours a day you can be active. Pregnancy and caring for a newborn are really hard, but chasing after a toddler is much more difficult. If you think you're at your best now, what kind of support system can you put in place to help with the baby? Does your spouse work long hours? Do you have family close-by? Examine all these things, not so you can talk yourself out of having a baby, but so you can be prepared.

Good luck with whatever you decide, and I hope I've answered your questions.
    [This Message was Edited on 12/14/2005]