Pregnancy and CFS/FM??

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by jes217, Jun 11, 2003.

1. jes217

jes217 New Member

Hi There!

I was a frequent message board user about a year and a half ago but thanks to some good docs and support from my new husband I am feeling better! God bless all of you who are struggling with this very difficult illness.

I was curious if anyone has had a pregnancy occur after the onset of illness or if anyone has information about what happens during pregnancy to someone suffering from CFS/FM.
    I was married about 10 months ago and my husband and I frequently talk about having a child. I have found out very little about what may happen with a pregnancy as result of the illness. I am 31 years old and I don't have forever to wait for myself to start feeling better. It seems as though pregnancy may be a real leap of faith and I was hoping some of you may have some experiences to share or some information. Thanks so much for your time!

2. scottabir

scottabir New Member

I don't have any experience to share about being pregnant. However, my husband and I are planning on trying to conceive next year. I have had many people with CFS/FM tell me I am a selfish person to bring a child into the world with me being ill and also possible passing it on. This is not a decison I have made lightly but none the less it has been made. I have had women tell me that they felt better while they were pregnant, as if there symptoms completely disappeared. Others have said they felt worse. I guess it depends on the person and the severity of their illness.

I am working very hard this year to get my health in the best state that I can. I am changing my diet and doing everything I can to feel the best that I can. My suggestion to you is do the same. The healthier you are the healthier your baby will hopefully be.

Take care!
    Abi
  3. allhart

allhart New Member

im preg with number 5 now,every preg is diffrent ,some go into remission some dont the ob will work with you when and if any promblem come about,make sure you find a ob who belives in cf and fm,im liucky in the fact my pc also delivers babies,
  4. Karrot

Karrot New Member

I'm pregnant with my first. I cannot say that I have gone into remission. But I cannot also say that I have gotten worse. The first trimester was pretty bad - the second one has been pretty good. Like others say, it totally depends on each person how you will feel. I have never heard that having CFS/FM will make you a high risk pregnancy. And thus far, my little boy seems perfectly healthy. I wouldn't worry too much about CFS/FM affecting your pregnancy. I still have the pain as well as preg pain, but I have found a little bit more energy in this second trimester than I had before I was pregnant.

So go for it! And just keep taking care of yourself and I'm sure everything will going smoothly.

Karrot
  5. jes217

jes217 New Member

6. Madelyn

Madelyn New Member

...for posts on this subject. You will find a wealth of experiences.
    Mad