Pregnancy and FM

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by JLH, Sep 3, 2006.

1. JLH

JLH New Member

Karen M. Schaefer, assistant professor of nursing at Temple University's College of Health Professions, presented her findings on Pregnant Women with Fibromyalgia at the June Association of Women's Health, Obstetrics, and Neonatal Nurses' convention in Baltimore.

The study subjects were ages 29-31, in their third trimester, with no history of stillbirth and free of chronic illnesses other than fibromyalgia.

Schaefer found the pregnant women with fibromyalgia had a hard time functioning, felt more stiff and tired, and experienced pain in more body areas than women without fibromyalgia.

"Until now there was only anecdotal evidence suggesting that women with fibromyalgia had a rougher time during pregnancy," said Schaefer in a UPI story about the study. "This data is the first step toward gathering hard evidence of fibromyalgia effects on this group and will hopefully help us identify ways to reduce the impact of fibromyalgia during pregnancy."

2. Jo29

Jo29 New Member

She has FM/CFS. So far her main complaint is that she is extremely tired. She also has hypo-thyroid and is considered "high risk".

The doctor said that she should have a normal pregnancy and everything looks great so far. She is about 12 weeks.

I feel so bad that she has to go through a pregnancy with all of these things going against her. I have FM/CFS and hypo-thyroid and Lupus. I feel that I am the one who passed all of this on to her and I pray that she doesn't pass it on to her baby.

Hugs

Jodi
  3. painintheeverywhere

painintheeverywhere New Member

None of us choose to have this disease or health problems. Nothing you could have done would have changed the outcome, so give yourself a break. My mother died 6 years ago and never was diagnosed with CF/MFS however I have been and it makes so much sense to remember my mother's symptoms...I am sure she had it as well. I have 3 brothers & 3 sisters and we resented coming home to mom being in bed so much. Now I have FM and I wouldn't be suprised if other sibblings do.

Just be glad that you are informed and have an understanding and support for one another.

We are not that far yet in my family!

Best Wishes

Jane
  4. JLH

JLH New Member

Jodi,

I'm glad to hear that your daughter is expecting!

I am sure the doctor is correct in saying she won't have any problems. I agree with Jane, you should not feel bad and just be glad that you and your daughter are informed from the beginning of her pregnancy.

I'm sure you are really excited and will give your daughter lots of support!

Hugs,
    Janet
  5. sorekitty

sorekitty New Member

I was older, had endometriosis and did in vitro fertilization to become a mommy but I was so unbelievably tired. OMG I am so lucky I did not have to work. I slept about 12 hours a night and took a 1-2 hour nap every afternoon. I did have lots of contrations starting at 32 weeks so I was on bedrest for the next 5 weeks. You think that would be good wouldn't you? HA! Being in bed that much made it hard to be sleepy by nighttime! I was so lucky to make it to 38 weeks one day! My body was just not meant to have babies at least not lots and lots of babies lol!
  6. JLH

JLH New Member