Pregnancy and Meds

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by mistyd96, Jan 5, 2007.

1. mistyd96

mistyd96 New Member

I just found out I am preggo......With my 4th kid! Not great timing as now I can't do my externship for school (I am in school for vet tech so can't be around x-ray, anesthesia etc).

Anyway, I am on Lexapro for depression and Tramadol for pain. I can't find any definitive answers on the net if these were ok during pregnancy. I have my first doc appt. the 11th and will ask then, in the meantime I have not taken my Tramadol even though I hurt.

Anyone know if these are ok? I am only about 7 weeks along, so I have forever yet to go! I am also nervous as my FM and depression really hit me hard after my 3rd was born, and am scared the pregnancy will make me so much worse.

Misty
  2. AllWXRider

AllWXRider New Member

I was on Welbutin for depression. I described to my doc that I was passing out for ~1 second at a time. It was at the ER finally that someone figured out that this is a side effect of Welbutin...its called Syncope.

Docs can't remember all this stuff. I go look it up myself from now on. Especially with something so critical like pregnancy.

Please research Systemic Enzymes and William Wong N.D.: Digestive enzymes are derived from food, so they're safe to use. My mom has FM and found that her dose is 6 tabs/day. She is better and continues to improve.
    Enzymes
    decrease inflammation,
    dissolve scar tissue
    dissolve the isoprin coating on certain viruses
    cleans the blood.

You can go super natural by eating/juicing melons. They are loaded with enzymes. Honeydew is in season right now. Watermelon, Cantalope, papaya. Kiwi and pineapple.

If I juice a 1/3 of a Honeydew, I do feel better.

Also, others have had great help using heat lamp therapy. My mom just got me a LightRelief LED light product. Otherwise I was feeling better with a 250W heat lamp ~3 feet away. I use while I take a nap. It only works on bare skin and I use a sock over my eyes. My puppy curls up next to me and he likes it too.

For depression, I've been helped a lot my eating more tryptophan: turkey (dogs, bacon, deli), cashews (honey-roasted).

For anxiety, instead of Lexapro, GABA and Theanine are amino acids. They are natural and they work for me. Prohealth sells them in a combo as 5-HTP (precursor to serotonin) + GABA + Theanine.

Watch your sugars: "viruses breathe sugars" says William Wong. "Don't say YO, say NO"

Also, consider mercury toxicity. Natural chelators are cilantro, chlorella, garlic and enzymes! All natural.
  3. kotomme1

kotomme1 New Member

I am planning on trying to get pregnant in the fall and I
    have been reading up on pregnancy and meds during pregnancy.
    This will be my first pregnancy and I am very scared because
    I am on a number of meds.You can go to webmd.com and put in
    the medication/pregnancy and it should tell you all about the medication and the risk in pregnancy. Some people take
    there meds anyway during pregnancy but you should be monitored by your doctor. There are also different categories for meds such as A,B,C,D and X. Most of my meds are category C which means there is either little or no
    research to indicate the harm during pregnacy.Try to look
    up your meds,talk with your doctor ASAP to figure out what you should do. Did you take any meds with your other pregnancies?

Kotomme1
  4. mistyd96

mistyd96 New Member

Thank you all for your responses. I appreeciate it. I am still just so overwhelmed and scared about what this is going to do for my fibro. There are days when I hurt so bad I have a hard time dealing with the 3 I have, and they are 9,5,and 3.

Misty
  5. abcanada

abcanada New Member

I went through a nasty pregnancy which ended 14 months ago. Thank God my beautiful baby boy ended up as healthy as can be. I was not on anti depressants, but ended up with blood clots & had severe migraines(still do). I had varicose viens in my leg, which almost certainly looked as if they would produce a clot...well they did. No doc would consider putting me on blood thinners as a preventative...only if neccesary...absolutely neccesary. I ended up with 2 clots & had to go on thinners at 32 weeks...not Warfin, but Innohep shots which were thought to be the safer choice. No doc would consider giving me anything other than Tyl #3 for severe migraines. That is considered safe. I certainly went through the guilt of taking this crap & having it potentially harm the baby...but if mom is not well/not coping than sometimes the risk is neccesary. I think this all has to be weighed out individually for everyone. I did not breast feed as I didn't want the baby to be gettting Warfin(rat poison!). For me, I would have never taken anything unless I absolutely had to.. actually my life was at risk. You can't take back damage done. You don't have to look far to find stories of moms who will regret for the rest of thier lives what they consumed during pregnancy. My theory is 'Neccesary'...and that means life in danger. I hope you do ok. I want to let you know it was my 4th child that I had so much trouble with...the other 3 were a piece of cake. I'm now battling as I'm as sick as can be & am trying very hard to raise 4 productive members of society...Good Luck, Laura
    PS Talk to your Pharmacist, as I have found them to be much more honest about what is safe & what is not
    [This Message was Edited on 01/06/2007]
  6. wyattsmom

wyattsmom New Member

It is an NSAID and could cause a miscarriage. My Doc told me this when I asked about pregnancy and meds. Use Tylenol until you meet with your DR to find out what is safe. Congratualtions!!!
  7. LollieBoo

LollieBoo New Member

I just thought that I would weigh in on two things here:

#1: Chelation of Mercury and other harmful toxins means that you pull it out of tissues, releasing it into the bloodstream for eventual discharge. The only problem with that is having Mercury released into the bloodstream of a pregnant woman potentially exposes the embryo or fetus to the harmful neurotoxic effects of Mercury. Especially dangerous during this part of your pregnancy. If you have Mercury (or anything else) hiding in your body, let it stay hidden during your pregnancy and breastfeeding if at all possible. Even if the placenta is able to protect your baby, it can cause problems with your placenta that may cause complications further into the pregnancy. ALTHOUGH- if anyone is reading this and planning to conceive, the advice is good in general. It helps when attempting to draw out toxins to also support the means of elimination, so taking red clover, milk thistle, dandelion and things of that nature, as well as colon cleansing prior to and during chelation to see the toxins all the way out.

#2: On a personal note, my third pregnancy was announced to me by my Gyn just after my having been prepped for laparoscopic surgery for adhesions. Shocked and surprised, I questioned my doc about the effects of the presurgical medications (among them Fentanyl), as well as the Vicodin I'd been taking for the weeks prior. She said it would be fine, there was nothing we could do. Fast-forward to my 9th week of pregnancy, when I was struck with the absolute worst headache of my life... that stayed for six weeks. I tried to avoid taking anything out of fear, but when the headache subsided only to return a day later, I relented. For the rest of my pregnancy, I worked with an OB, Neurologist and my PCP, who had me on varying amounts of Tylenol 3, then Hydrocodone (I was told that the Tylenol was more risky than the narcotic), then Morphine. When I was approaching my due date, I scaled back from MS to Hydrocodone, then taking as little as possible to avoid lowering the baby's heart rate and prevent as much as possible withdrawal for the baby. The reason I mention all of this is to say that as much as I worried, and as potentially dangerous as it was, my being well monitored assured a healthy outcome. Our daughter was born healthy, had no signs of withdrawal, nursed like a pro and is now a healthy and developmentally-advanced two-year-old (mostly because she has a sister 13 months older than she is, and is exposed to things ahead of when most kids her age are, but I say that to note no lasting ill effects).

My doc, btw, said the same thing about Toradol, and Tramadol, to the best of my knowledge, is a pregnancy no-no. So, how did your appt. go?

Lollie
  8. LollieBoo

LollieBoo New Member

The info I found on Tramadol labels it a pregnancy class C drug, although it is relatively new. Toradol is a very potent NSAID and definitely should be avoided... they are similar in name, though.

What did your doc say?

My best friend is six months pregnant and is struggling with her OB and PCP over what is safe to take and when. I hope you are doing well!