pregnancy/motherhood and ME/CFS

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by KMD90603, Mar 21, 2007.

1. KMD90603

KMD90603 New Member

Hi guys. So, here's my problem. Lately, I've been thinking about having another child. My son is almost 6 years old, and I'm graduating nursing school in May. I'm 25 and happily married, and I really want to have a baby. However, I worry about doing it all over again (the baby stage) with my disease. I was not diagnosed with ME/CFS until my son was 3 years old, however, my symptoms began long before he was even thought of. My problem is that it's been a struggle doing it with one child, so I'm not sure how I'd be able to manage two.

But, here's the thing. I really don't want to let this disease stop me from accomplishing what I want in life. I've always dreamt of a big family. I never thought I'd get through nursing school being as sick as I've been at some points, but I made it and I did it with a 4.0 GPA the entire time. So, if I could do that, I feel like I can do anything.

What do you guys think? Am I being unreasonable to think that I could live with this disease and have the family that I've always wanted? I just see my son growing and becoming this absolutely amazing little man, and I want to be able to enjoy raising another child as well. JJ has been the best thing that ever happened to me, and I just love being a mom.

Also, any ideas on how to manage this disease while pregnant? I know some people say their symptoms actually disappeared during their pregnancy. I was exhausted during my first trimester, okay for the second, and exhausted again for the third trimester. But, each pregnancy is different, so you never know.

Thanks in advance for your advice.

Hugs,
    Kim
  2. wyattsmom

wyattsmom New Member

I have one 2 and a half year old....can I have another? Anyone here that has done that and been ok? Im so scared with fibro that I won't be able to take care of them...
  3. LeftCoast

LeftCoast New Member

Funny your post comes a few days after a little slip that makes me terrified. Too early to know right now though.

To answer your question about having another child with this disease, I would say go for it. You made it through school with flying colours and you already have one child so no real big surprises there. You also probably had a lot of your symptoms when your son was a baby and small child. Also your son is six and I would assume in school so you wouldn't have a toddler or preschooler at home as well as a baby. Good luck.
  4. ask2266

ask2266 Member

You are young, and I've heard that CFS actually gets better during pregnancy and maybe a little worse after the baby is born. The fact that you were exhausted during your pregnancy just sounds like a normal pregnancy to me.

Just make sure you have a lot of support for after you are home from the hospital. I think that you can handle 2 children that are that far apart, especially at your age. (although the first year is tough!)

Now, as for having a huge family of 6 kids, you might want to consider that your disease would probably keep you from being supermom, or in trying to be supermom, you would get sicker.

We have to acknowledge and accept our condition in order to live our best life possible. There are alot of things in life that we can't plan for or change, and our path veers a way that we did not expect. If we accept the change and see a new vision of our life, we can find harmony, even if it wasn't what we wrote down in our notebook in highschool about what kind of house and how many kids we would have. (I hope i don't sound too much like Oprah, here;)

So go for another one! But don't forget that no one's life can turn out 100% as they planned-- it would be way too boring if that happened!

P.S. I have a friend with fibro who has 2 kids and works part-time as an attorney. She's not doing great, but she's hanging in there-- just in the beginnings of her treatment regimen. She already had fibro when she got pregnant with her second.
    [This Message was Edited on 03/22/2007]