pregnant with FMS?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by dream5866, Sep 12, 2005.

1. dream5866

dream5866 New Member

Has anyone tried to get pregnant after being diagnosed with FMS and if so, how did you deal with not being on any medications or anything? I was diagnosed a year ago and recently was on as many as 5 different medications at the same time (nortryptiline, cymbalta, clonopin, ultracet, and atenolol). This weekend I decided to go off all of my medications for several reasons. I was tired of feeling spacey and out of it all of the time with absolutely no energy. I was tired of the weight I was gaining which has never before been a problem in my life. And, I really want another child. I am going to be 40 next year and my time is running out and dont think that I can afford to wait until my FMS is under control and I dont want to give up on the idea of having another baby. Any advice? And yes, I know I am probably nuts for even thinking it.
  2. dream5866

dream5866 New Member

3. orachel

orachel New Member

I'm recently married and v recently diagnosed (only abt a month now). I'm 30 and have no birth children. My DH has 3 wonderful kids (5,7,8) from a previous marriage, but due to distance we only see kids every other weekend.

I'd love to have a baby that is my husbands and mine....I've been counting down (we said 5 years till baby when we got together...that was 3 years ago) because I feel like my timeframe is shortening to have child of my own, also. Now with this diagnosis, I can't even mention baby wo my DH flipping...I'm unable to do just about anything, so he can't imagine adding a newborn into the mix. I never even thought abt the meds...I'm on abt 9 prescriptions myself! Oh, I just hope we get this under enough control that I can have a baby with my dh....

All the best wishes and hopes to you....and make sure you talk to your doc before stopping meds like that! I know 2 or 3 of my scrips (and nothing I'm on is narcotic) shouldn't be stopped suddenly for safety. Call your Doctor, Ok?

Rachel
  4. Bailey-smom

Bailey-smom New Member

I think this would be a good one for Julie - mom2seven?? Do I remember correctly that you will be having another? Or did I dream that?

Much luck finding the answer:)
    Kelly
  5. cupimick

cupimick Member

HI Dream5866,

I can relate as I also have my clock ticking and I waited and put it off thinking I had all the time in the world. I then get sick and it has as you know changes your whole life. I too am on painmeds and worry about the danger it might have on getting pregnant.

I wish I could go back in time and be in my late 20's ,but I was too career minded and ambitious. This illness really slows you down big time. I loved my job and now I cannot work so I do understand. I guess we all wish we could turn back time.

All I can say is maybe you can talk to your Dr and see what alternatives to the meds. Some meds maybe you can take without hurting the pregnancy.

I wish you the best, I feel like you. that I want to be a mother and I feel so empty & sad. Maybe if your fibro isn't as bad as mine you might be able to go off the meds and goe for it.

I keep hoping for a remission for all of us. but it just does not seem to be a reality. I have to deal with being childless and adoption is not a choice since we are financially challenged.

Good luck I wish you the best ,
    Deanna
  6. HppeandMe

HppeandMe New Member

I too would love to have another baby. My husband and I have one together but he wants one more desperately. I would love to give him another child!!! I have heard over and over again that women with FM/CFS and Lyme feel considerably better while they are pregnant and than a few weeks after delivery they feel awful.

I wish we could find out more!
  7. dream5866

dream5866 New Member

It has been about 5 days since I went off all of my medications and I feel like I have the flu but am not so out of it like I have been for the past few months. I called my doctor on Monday to let him know and to ask advice and find out about all the blood work they ran, and he refuses to talk to me. He had his secretary call me to tell me the bloodwork was fine, the flu symptoms I am having are probably withdrawal symptoms and it should clear up in a week or two, and since I chose to go off my medications he doesnt feel he needs to see me anymore so he canceled my next appointment. This is a guy who is supposed to be a holistic doctor and not so dependant on medications, etc., and yet he refuses to help me find other alternatives. He just quit on me. Now what do I do?