Pregnenolone is So Necessary

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia and ME & Chronic Fatigue Syndrome' started by equanimous, Apr 30, 2013.

1. equanimous

equanimous New Member

I've CFIDS for a long time now, and I do and take a bunch of different things to improve my health, but I had a recent reminder of just how important one of those things is. I accidentally decreased my dose of pregnenolone, and I became basically non-functional again. Not only did I have zero energy, but I was completely depressed as well. It might not be necessary for everyone, but please have your levels checked and address low levels if need be. I've found that there is a narrow window between too little and too much of this stuff, so I would recommend starting low (like 1mg) and slowly working up. Also, there is a physiological justification for why pregnenolone levels are so low in people with CFIDS:

"Although the energy crisis and associated hypothalamic dysfunction, along with direct gland failure (e.g., low thyroid adrenal exhaustion) explained most of the abnormalities we see in CFS and fibromyalgia, there have been a few missing pieces over the years that were not explained by these - which frankly left us puzzled. Here are a couple items I've scratched my head over in CFS:

Very low cholesterol levels are often seen in CFS (sometimes high levels are seen, but these are usually due to low thyroid function).
    Dramatically low levels of a hormone called pregnenolone (made from cholesterol, pregnenolone is the critical building block for steroid hormones such as estrogen and testosterone).
    This new study now explains why cholesterol and pregnenolone are sometimes very low in CFS. Viral infections cause your body to make interferon, which suppresses the mevalonic acid pathway that makes cholesterol and pregnenolone.

This is likely another key reason - along with the hypothalamic dysfunction, gland dysfunction and receptor resistance - for the widespread hormonal disorders we see in CFS/FMS.

This finding is significant in that it not only suggests that low cholesterol or pregnenolone in CFS may be caused by a viral infection, it also suggests new possible treatments!"
  2. jaminhealth

jaminhealth Well-Known Member

when I first started with integrative MD's back in the late 90's, the main labs they do include with lab work is DHEA levels...DHEA is a precursor to Pregnenalone....I've been taking both for over 10 yrs I think...it's critical that these hormones are checked, as we age these hormones deplete....PH sells DHEA and probably Pregnenalone...these are major supps in the FM/CFS arsenal....

I've talked about these hormones a lot over the years here....good to bring it up again...jam
  3. IanH

IanH Active Member

You have quoted details from a study but not given a reference.
    Do you have the reference for the pregnenolone influence in ME/CFS?
    Thanks
  4. Ronaldo60

Ronaldo60 Member

......for reminding about the importance of hormones in these disorders. Women are 4X more likely to be suffering from CFS/FM so unless they are just 4X more likely to be whiners, I'm going with the hormone-scenario. What's interesting is that around this-here forum, folks seem much more interested in all kinds of magic spells, potions, unrelated topics, and will even sometimes lurk around here trying to discredit any hormone discussion. Keep us posted, very interesting!
  5. jaminhealth

common sense tells me and I've been working with alternative healing for over 20yrs, it should really be conventional healing, alternative should be the pharma world...

As we all age, our hormones begin to suffer and one needs to be aware and on top of this area of our health...it's just a crying shame our medical world does not go there....many of us have to seek out our own research and find docs to help and guide us.
  6. IanH

IanH Active Member

is trying to discredit any hormone related discussion but you cannot expect anyone to accept claims which are unsubstantiated. Quoting some "doctor" who wrote a book about his use of steroids in ME/CFS is not evidence.

Especially as the weight of evidence in the "total" literature points heavily towards immunological dysfunction and neuro-immune dysfunction which is not related to adrenal function.

There have also been many people with "ME/CFS" tested for adrenal insufficiency and found to be normal. While some people have low cortisol output, some have high cortisol output and others have diurnal abnormalities in cortisol output. All suggesting that the adrenal outputs are a function of other biochemical influences.

If you want to redefine ME/CFS in some way so that it fits with an adrenal insufficiency theory then go ahead but its not ME/CFS anymore.

I have no problem with clinical reports of the use of steroids but that is not science and so cannot be used to substantiate a theory about any causation.

Whether women contract ME/CFS more than men is not known and using terms like "whine" in place of "report" or "seek help for" is unhelpful if you want to discuss factors in the disease.

Also, can you quote one instance of anyone proposing a "magic spell"?

Calling supplements "potions" is also unhelpful. Especially on an site like this.
  7. IanH

IanH Active Member

I am interested from where you took the following quote:

"Although the energy crisis and associated hypothalamic dysfunction, along with direct gland failure (e.g., low thyroid adrenal exhaustion) explained most of the abnormalities we see in CFS and fibromyalgia, there have been a few missing pieces over the years that were not explained by these - which frankly left us puzzled. Here are a couple items I've scratched my head over in CFS:

Very low cholesterol levels are often seen in CFS (sometimes high levels are seen, but these are usually due to low thyroid function).
    Dramatically low levels of a hormone called pregnenolone (made from cholesterol, pregnenolone is the critical building block for steroid hormones such as estrogen and testosterone).
    This new study now explains why cholesterol and pregnenolone are sometimes very low in CFS. Viral infections cause your body to make interferon, which suppresses the mevalonic acid pathway that makes cholesterol and pregnenolone.

This is likely another key reason - along with the hypothalamic dysfunction, gland dysfunction and receptor resistance - for the widespread hormonal disorders we see in CFS/FMS.

This finding is significant in that it not only suggests that low cholesterol or pregnenolone in CFS may be caused by a viral infection, it also suggests new possible treatments!"

This is interesting but the evidence is that some people with ME/CFS have low levels of HDL but not LDL cholesterols. Also the low HDL is associated with high levels of Malondialdehyde. Which are associated with low grade inflammatory disease and atherosclerosis and vascular stiffness.

"Lipid peroxidation is elevated in female patients with chronic fatigue syndrome.
    Brkic S, Tomic S, Maric D, Novakov Mikic A, Turkulov V.

Clinic for Infectious Diseases, Clinical Center Vojvodina, Novi Sad, Serbia."

Also low levels of HDL are associated with ow physical activity which is usual in ME/CFS, particularly chronic ME/CFS.

Also, if you were taking pregnenolone for some time then stopped you would have a rebound reaction which might be very unpleasant and heighten your ME/CFS symptoms, particularly fatigue, pain and depression.

However I am still very interested in what you are saying about pregnenolone.
    [This Message was Edited on 05/01/2013]
  8. Ronaldo60

Ronaldo60 Member

My friend, references I made were intended to poke some fun at things like Mickel and Lightning therapies and all the various and sundry completely unrelated substances being discussed at this forum, not "supplements"--relax man! And again, my use of "whiners" was another example of a thing called "humor" where I was pointing-out that the out-of-proportion number of women CFS sufferers was likely an indicator of hormone-imbalance, not that women are more likely to be hypochondriacs.
    I harken back to the eighties when an unusual flu-virus outbreak and aftermath brought the whole subject of "chronic-fatigue" into the limelight. "Post-viral" chronic-fatigue and "unexplained" chronic-fatigue were familiar terms for decades even before that. Then came "CFIDS," "FM," "ME," and who-knows-whatever is going to be the next term in the future. So, what about the good old-fashioned "post-viral" chronic-fatigue with so many symptoms pointing to a stress-hormone imbalance? Is that disorder now obsolete?
    Good healthy debate is awesome and there are probably many valid approaches to this whole issue. I always try to keep an open mind, and a sense of humor, fair enough?
  9. IanH

IanH Active Member

I wasn't wanting to criticize you as such. Sorry if I upset you.

My commentary might be a bit terse. I am used to dealing with scientists.
  10. Ronaldo60

Ronaldo60 Member

.....I'm here to share and learn also!
  11. joanierav

joanierav Member

amen!!

its very nice to see disagreements talked out and end without arguing. kudos to you both.

joanierav
  12. Ronaldo60

Ronaldo60 Member

Nice of you to notice!
  13. jaminhealth

sells both DHEA and Pregnenolone, why not just read up on them as PH sells all supps indicated for FM/CFS issues, right?