Preparing for SS disability hearing-HELP!!!

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by weencie, Nov 9, 2008.

1. weencie

weencie New Member

I was just notified Friday that my SS disability hearing is December 3rd., only a few weeks to prepare. I have already spoken with my attorney who has all my updated medical information. Can anyone give me tips on what I need to focus on? I changed appointments to see my rheumy and pschy. docs next week to ask for letters. I am having my former boss and mother to write letters on my behalf. Am I missing anything? I suffer from FM, Bipolar, Migraines, and Generalized Anxiety Disorder. I can feel the anxiety building and am getting depressed at the thoughts of losing. I was told by SS that my hearing would be in March of 2009 so I am surprised this came up suddenly and feel unprepared. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
  2. SerenityPheonix

SerenityPheonix New Member

Weencie, I was turned down initially as happens to many people. Upon appeal I had to go before a judge. I also live with each of the ailments you listed. This is my hearing experience:

It just so happened that on the day of my hearing, I had worked myself into such a stress frenzy, that I was having a very bad day. My stressed out appearance alone won points from the judge I'm sure. I had intentionally neglected to take some of my meds (a day or two wasnt going to hurt me in the long run). This brought on a good visual for the judge. I also had provided each and every medical record I could find (they love to have a good 'paper trail'). I was in such a state that when the judge asked his first question, I basically went into an emotional meltdown right then and there. I couldn't even answer the first question let alone any others. I was in tears, visibly shaking and obviously wasn't able to handle the situation any longer. The hearing was over in minutes and I was granted my disability plus a full year of back pay.

After I got home I resumed my meds and was fine in a day or two. While I do not advocate a person to stop his or her meds, I also know how hard it is to be granted and used whatever method I needed to for the judge to see me as I am without anything...not as I am when medicated. I feel by the judge being able to see the real me, that this is how I won benefits.

I don't know what meds you take, but I know I have a few that when missed I become a basket case and resuming them gets me right back on track.

The number one reason I got disability is from being bi-polar and having panic/anxiety disorder.
    This is one of the hardest things to prove in getting disability too. If they can't see the ailment then they don't get that you have it. At your hearing do your best to be the true you.

I wish you much luck.

3. Tina53

Tina53 New Member

Hi Weencie!
    I'm new to this site and while going down through the list of posts, I came across yours about your scheduled SS Disability hearing and guess what....mine is also scheduled for tomorrow, 12/3! How ironic is this that I should come across someone else who will be standing in front a judge who will determine whether or not "we are truly disabled"! If they, the judges, could only walk a day, a week in our shoes!
    I have also become very anxious about my hearing and the past couple of days have been spent in bed because I have not been able to stay awake from the fatigue of the past week when I was trying to make sure that my attorney had everything he needs for my hearing. Also, the stress has put me down.
    My attorney told me to just be myself and if that means that I will probably cry, then he told me to cry. I know I will. I'm a very emotional person anyway and this is a very emotional event to have to go through.
    One thing that has been running through my mind a lot today is this fact that I read on some SS info I had printed out years ago: this money is money that we have paid into the system in case we were ever to become disabled; this is "insurance money", just like we pay for life insurance, etc. When you look at it in this way, it, for me anyway, makes sense and I'm trying not to look at this as "deserving disability money"; this money is already MINE! It's been "lying in state" for when I need it and I have actually needed it for years. It just took me years to get around to applying for "my benefits".
    I've been disabled for about 10 years and I understand that "when I am recognized tomorrow as being disabled by the judge", I will have lost many years of benefits because they will only go back one year from the time that you actually apply. So, I am trying to "let that fact go"....the fact that I may have been able to collect at least 4 to 5 years that have been lost now. You know how it is with us....we get something stuck in our heads and find it very difficult to let it go by "punishing" ourselves. At least that is how it is with me.
    Good luck tomorrow and as my attorney said to me: "JUST BE YOURSELF"
  4. gmom605

gmom605 New Member

good luck and yes "Just be yourself"

5. hensue

hensue New Member

Wanted to wish you both the best of luck!
    Take care