Preparing for surgery with these DDs

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by sorekitty, Sep 14, 2009.

1. sorekitty

sorekitty New Member

I am having surgery on Friday. I am starting to become anxious. It is outpatient. I am having a hysteroscopy to remove uterine fibroids. The recovery time is supposed to be about 4 days but I am concerned that it will take longer for me due to the DD. I am trying to line up lots of babysitters for my son.

Anyone know anything I can take (extra vitamins) or anything to prep? Has anyone had a surgery like this or a minor surgery and can tell me if it took longer to recover or about the time the dr thought.

Thanks for any insights!
  2. loto

loto Member

I just had the same thing done this past June, for a baseball sized fibroid in my uterus. I kept all the other parts, they just removed the uterus, thank goodness.
    I didn't do anything to prep for it, and my gyno knew I have FM and acid reflux. (those are the only 2 things I've been diagnosed with, anyway)
    He is a very good, thorough, caring doctor! I wish he could be my family doctor!
    Anyway, before the surgery he thought I'd only be in the hospital for 1 day, 2 at the most. Well, as it turned out, I ended up in there for 4 because I developed a fever. I had so much terrible pain the day after surgery just from all the air and gas! It was all trapped insided of me, and he did chest exray to see if I had developed pneumonia (because of the fever), but he could see the big white mass of air that was trapped! Put me on antibiotics anyway, and eventually the fever went away, they gave me everything they could think of to get my bowels cleaned out, and finally let me go home!!!
    So, one thing I'd say to do to prep is make sure you're not constipated before going to have the surgery!!! Looking back, I remember that I was having trouble with my bowels before I went in. Maybe you won't have all the air getting trapped inside you like i did.
    I also had a little trouble with the morphine. Dr. thought it was too harsh for me. Don't worry about that, though, that's probably just me!!!
    So, sorry to make this so long, but I wanted to let you know everything about my surgery!! I don't know how yours is going to be performed, but they cut 3 incisions in my belly. One on the left side (that's where the main scope and device used to get it out went in), one through my belly button, and one on the right side (for an additional camera).
    And, my doctor gave me 3 whole weeks off, just to get my energy level back up. I probably could have gone back to week 2 weeks after, but hey, I wasn't going to argue with him!!! An extra week of laying around in the sun worked for me!!!
    So, let me know if you have any other questions that I haven't covered here!!!

Best wishes to you!!!
    Oh, by the way, my doc told me not to worry about the vitamins I took before the surgery. In fact, before my surgery I was iron anemic, and my vitamin D level was low. I had bloodtest done a month after the surgery and my iron level was normal, as well as vitamin D!!!! Amazing how that stupid fibroid was soaking up all my vitamins!!! No wonder it was such a big thing!![This Message was Edited on 09/15/2009]
  3. sorekitty

sorekitty New Member

Thanks for your reply. I just put my son to bed so now I'm on boards. It sounds like your surgery was much more involved than mine will be. Although I was talking with a friend yesturday and she thought I was taking this all way too lightly and told me to prepare with babysitters(respite care).

I am not having the uterus removed just the fibroids. The dr uses an instrument to look up through the vagina and cervix and also cut away the fibroid at the same time. I will not have any incision. Yay! I did have a laproscopy back in 2000 for endo and that was more involved. But they are cutting and I will need at least 4 days to recover but I am thinking with my fibro, cfs, etc I may be in more pain. i hope not but i guess I need to prepare.

I love my dr too! He is the best ever! What an interesting thought that the fibroid was taking up all your vitamins. Evil fibroid. I have a few small fibroids that they will take out. I'm always scared having surgery since they have you sign forms that say in case you die you can't hold it against them or some other such stuff (lol).

I am 43 and hope all goes okay. I have a 7 yo boy with autism so I freak at the thought of dying young. My anxiety and depression has been awful lately. I hope I get all my respite workers lined up and can recoup.

Thanks for the tip about constipation. I will start that process now!

4. loto

loto Member

I'm glad you're procedure will not be as invasive.
    I totally forgot to mention the fact that I don't have periods anymore, which is such a big help with my FM, because I had a lot of menstrual problems as well. But that was just another of my problems, and the reason they took the whole uterus.
    I understand what you are going through, thinking about your son not having you anymore, but that's natural and everything will be fine!!! I work at a Special Education Center, and there are many kids here with autism. All the kids here are so sweet, and I look forward to seeing them every day!!! It makes it worth coming to work, when I feel I can't come in!!! I just think of them, and get up and going!!!
    Best wishes and speedy recovery!!! I'll be thinking of you Friday, and waiting to hear that all went well!!!