Prescribed steroids for terrible sore throat - anyone had steroids w/ CFS?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by hopeforcure, Feb 14, 2012.

1. hopeforcure

hopeforcure New Member

I have a terrible sore throat (dry, red, inflamed) that's going on one month now. ENT has prescribed 5 days of prednisone (starts at 60 mg/day, tapers to 10 mg last day). I have heard there may be issues with taking steroids for people w/ CFS/ME.

Does anyone have any experience with this? Or heard of any? Any input/advice would be appreciated!
  2. Nanie46

Nanie46 Moderator

I do know that if the root cause of your CFS/ME happens to be the bacteria Borrelia burgdorferi (Lyme disease), steroids or any immunosuppressive drugs are contraindicated.

That information can be found on page 12 of this paper:

3. misskoji

misskoji Member

I'm sorry you are suffering with a horrible sore throat.

To answer your question, I've read many patients advise against taking steroids except in dire situations. I myself, asked Dr. Lerner about this as my primary had me on a course of steroids. Dr. L. was very upset about that and told me to stop them, and not take them again. He said it is because these steroids suppress or alter our immune systems. The last thing we really need.

I don't want to discourage you if you've had no luck with antibiotics, but I'd hate to see you get sicker, too.

Have you asked your doctor for an ASO titer? This is a more advanced Strep test and I think it's a very important one. More and more research is being published about how much damage Strep can do to people, especially us.

Sending you healing vibes.