Prescription Costs..of interest to many (may help w/ cost;-)

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by blondieangel, May 22, 2003.

1. blondieangel

blondieangel New Member

Hi Everybody!

I just received this from my aunt ~ found it very interesting, and thought I should share it with you all, with the hope of helping some fellow FM, & chronic disease sufferer's in obtaining their pricy med's! Copied as is w/ em addy's deleted...

On Monday night (July 22, 2002), Steve Wilson, an investigative reporter
    for channel 7 News in Detroit, did a story on generic drug price
    gouging by pharmacies. He found in his investigation, that some of
    these generic drugs were marked up as much as 3,000%
    or more. Yes, that's not a typo...... three thousand percent!
    Mr. Wilson did a thorough research, and checked out all the major
    drugstore chains, discount chains, independent pharmacies,
    and even checked on some Canadian pharmacies.

So often, we blame the drug companies for the high cost of drugs,
    and usually rightfully so. But in this case, the fault clearly lies&n! bsp;
    with the pharmacies thems elves. For example, if you had to buy a
    prescription drug, and bought the name brand, you might pay $100.00
    for 100 pills. The pharmacist might tell you that if you get the generic
    equivalent, they would only cost $80.00, making you think you are
    "saving" $20.00 What the pharmacist is not telling you is that those 100
    generic pills may have only cost him $10.00!

At the end of the report, one of the anchors asked Mr. Wilson
    whether or not there were any pharmacies that did not adhere to this
    practice, and he said that Costco consistently charged little over
    their cost for the generic drugs. They gave the link to Costco,
    which I will include here, so that you can go and check prices for yourself.
    (*sorry had to delete due to rules*) Costco! Online pharmacy Costco Online&nbs p;
    I went to the Costco site, where you can look up any drug, and get
    it's online price. It says that the in-store prices are consistent
    with the online prices. I was appalled. Just to give you one
    example from my own experience, I had to use the drug, Compazine,
    which helps prevent nausea in chemo patients. I used the generic
    equivalent, which cost $54.99 for 60 pills at CVS. I checked the
    price at Costco, and I could have bought 100 pills for $19.89. For
    145 of my pain pills, I paid $72.57. I could have got 150 at Costco
    for $28.08.

I would like to mention, that although Costco is a "membership"
    type store, you do NOT have to be a member to buy prescriptions t! here,
    as it is a federally regulated substance. You just tell them at the
    door that you wish to use the pharmacy, and they will let you in.
    I am asking each of you to please help me by copying this letter,
    and pasting it into your own email, and send it to everyone you know
    with an email address. And if anyone has other ideas of how to
    address this problem, please contact me at cleg@bignet.net.
    This practice is almost sinful, and just maybe, working together,
    we can make a difference.. Thank you for your time, and thank you
    in advance for your help.

Now that you have read it you can do one of two things. You can forward it to everyone you know ! and start a possible groundswell against drug price gouging or you can delete it and continue to be robbed blind by high prescription prices. Which do you prefer

I hope this info will help some of us...I know I will look into it!
    Warm Regards...
    ~B~

[This Message was Edited on 05/25/2003]
  2. jolly

jolly New Member

I, too, was appalled at the meanspirited replies on the chitchat. It was "shades of Mel." There's a lot of nice, intelligent people on the board and we all need one another, so just try to avoid the "toxics." Jo Ellen
  3. sofy

sofy New Member

I hope the familiar reduction of your name is ok. That was such an informative post. So many here have no drug ins. and since Costco is online for those like me who do not live close enough to one it is no problem. Thanks again
  4. kredca4

kredca4 New Member

I worked in a Pharmacy when I was in my early 20's, and the mark up on the Products weren't as high as it is now.
    There was also a lot more Courtesy towards the Customers, that's gone in most Pharmacys these day's.

Times have changed, and I am so grateful that I have Insurance, just wish I didn't have to use it.

I left you a message on the CC board.

Sincerely
    kredca4/sharon
  5. Hippo

Hippo New Member

I live in Orange County, CA--I think you do, too. I go to Costco a lot but have never used their pharmacy. I just visited their pharmacy website, and hardly any drugs are listed--I found a list of only about 55 items. When I typed in the names of the meds I am using, they all came back "not found." Am I doing something wrong here? Surely Costco would have a full selection comparable to any other pharmacy.

Hippo
  6. LynneH

LynneH New Member

It is surprising the price differences just by drug store chain!!! I just had to get a Pulmicort turbo inhaler...well I do not have prescription coverage so I tried to find the best price. At my local grocery store (safeway) the price was $172.00 At Walgreen's it was
    $144.00 I went with that one. But listen to this...in Canada, it is $62.00!!!!!!(american dollars) Next time I need it, I'm gonna take that ride up to Vancouver and try to get it there. Just goes to show you the mark-up here!
    LynneH
  7. blondieangel

blondieangel New Member

Thank You all SO MUCH for your referral to the (IMHO) rather unnessary posts at chit chat..I was really beginning to wonder if I wanted to continue to be apart of this group! Thank-You all for restoring my faith!;-)

Thanks Packman & jolly! Feel free to jump in anytime! I felt like I was getting stoned to death over there!

Now, on to business...sure! Blondie is fine! That's my nickname from my FIL! And my husband calls me angel...although he's really mine!;-)for taking care of me!
    Yes, I'm in OC..I'm sorry I don't know much about the Costco online pharmacy, but I am definately going to go in and see about my prescriptions, which cost over $100 a month! In my experience, some stores just don't have good websites! I know Costco has a huge vitamin/supplement section...so I'm sure the pharmacy is good, plus most will order what you need if they don't have it!

I do know that my husband gets his eyeglass's there at a MUCH lower cost! I guess we'll all have to try out Costco and see if my aunt's email is beneficial to us all!

Much Love,
    ~B~
  8. chuggie

chuggie New Member

It is not necessary to travel to Canada to buy Rx's. You can buy them on the Internet. I get Vioxx for my 87 yr. old father from there. It involves faxing or mailing the original rx to them and takes about 2 weeks to receive the drugs. The one I use charges a flat $12.00 fee for shipping but it is still much cheaper than in the USA.

There are many sites that ship to the USA. Just do a search on Google for Canadian prescriptions/drugs and you will get many hits. Just shop around for the best price because some of them do differ quite a bit in price. They do not shop narcotics like percocet/darvocet/vicodin, etc. but you may be in for a pleasant surprise at the low prices for others.
  9. blondieangel

blondieangel New Member

just bumping for anyone having trouble paying for all those pricy med's!;-)
  10. kerrymygirl

kerrymygirl New Member

They just opened a new store by me. I stopped in asked about some RX`s. Also if you take Co Q10 for 120 caps. It was $14.50. That is better than Sams or anywhere I have seen. This is 50mg. They also have long distance phone card for only 2.8 cents a miinute. None of the extra tax charges.I am putting in a seperate post of what happened to me when I picked up last RX. They opened a Canadian drug store here and govt. is trying to close it. Do they have nothing better to do?? What about checking in on pharmacies making money off of sick people, with little or no income. This just pi##es me off. Thanks for posting I had planned on it you beat me to it.