Prescription for mattress/bed??

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by renae1979, Oct 19, 2005.

1. renae1979

renae1979 New Member

Has anyone received a prescription from your doctor for a certain type of bed/mattress?? If so, did your insurance cover some of the cost? What type of mattress was it and why was it prescribed? And finally, how did you go about asking your doctor for the prescription?

Thanks in advance for any information on this subject!!

Jodie G.
    Nebraska, USA
  2. Bailey-smom

Bailey-smom New Member

I do know that it can be done. In order to know if your insurance company will cover it you should call your agent or claim rep and ask if it would be covered as special equipment.

The dr did give me a script for treadmill but that was for taxes incase I could us it as a write off. I do have a friend that claimed a hot tub.

I would ask your provider.

Good luck!
    Kelly
  3. Dee50

Dee50 New Member

I got a prescription for a hot tub when I had a whiplash years ago and that made it tax brake under my medical on my taxes for years til it was paid off.
    Please let us know how the bed works out.
    Dee50
  4. renae1979

renae1979 New Member

Okay, I'm going to call my insurance company.

So, even if they won't cover any of the cost, I should still talk to my doc about the prescription to use for tax purposes. Thanks for this info.

Anyone else done this before??
  5. kat_tastrophe

kat_tastrophe New Member

One of my husband's friends got a 'script for one of those extremely expensive Tempur-Pedic pillows from his doctor.

No reason not to ask...

By the way - can I ask where you are in Nebraska? My parents are both from Valentine. All my Grandparents still live in Valentine and Sparks (right outside of Valentine).

Have a great day!
    ~Kat
  6. renae1979

renae1979 New Member

I currently live in Omaha, but I am originally from Maxwell which is a very small town in central NE (right by North Platte).
  7. Bailey-smom

Bailey-smom New Member

3 hours N of Omaha - we will actually be in Omaha on the 1st of Nov for a meeting. Small world! Wish you luck with your bed.

Kelly
  8. JLH

JLH New Member

We investigated this when my father was ill and were told that the only thing his insurance would pay for, even with a script, was a hospital bed--on a rental basis.

We ended up getting one when he went on kidney dialysis.

Janet