Prescription medications and Guai protocol

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by lucydoodle, Oct 12, 2006.

1. lucydoodle

lucydoodle New Member

Hi,

I wonder how my prescription medication for Fibro will interact. I am considering starting Guai but cannot go cold turkey on the prescription medications. Any advice out there for a newbie. I was diagnosed Fibro 5 yrs ago and feel I have a rather mild case because it does not affect my ability to work, clean, cook etc... But I have achy muscles and numbness/tingling and headaches... Any ideas?

Thanks!

Lucydoodle
  2. u34rb

u34rb New Member

Hi Lucydoodle,

Which prescription meds are you taking and why?
  3. lucydoodle

lucydoodle New Member

Hi,

Thanks for the quick reply. I am on Zanaflex 4 mg for muscle spasms, Lamictal 200 mg for mood stabilization and gaba building, effexor for serotonin production. All of these are part of my dr.s formula for treating fibro. I have been on this varied protocol for years (6) and not much improvement has been reached. Please help me. I am willing to try the Guai and see how i do. I will change anything and try anything. I am only 38 yrs old and feel like I will die too early if I don't find some relief!!!!

Thank you.

Lucydoodle
  4. u34rb

u34rb New Member

Lucydoodle,

Have you read the book?

Taking guai for FM is more than just taking so many tablets each day. You MUST understand about salicylates in food, cosmetics (including toothpaste), and meds (prescribed or otherwise).

Your doctor or pharmacist should be able to tell you about any salicylates in your meds. Even if you have some salicylates in your meds, you may simply need to take a little more guai.

The book will also explain about what to do if you are hypoglycaemic with a carbohydrate intolerance. If you are NOT then you can ignore a large part of the guai regime. But it is essential that you find out first and understand the significance if you are hypo.

You will find that 'mapping' is recommended, if you can find someone to help locally, but from my experience it is not essential to be ‘mapped’ in order to find out if you are in reversal of your FM symptoms.

Good luck, you say you will try anything and guai could be the answer that you are looking for.

Finally, have you been to the fibromyalgiatreatment.com website?
  5. Jude

Jude New Member

Dear Lucydoodle

As a general rule guai can be used with most prescription medications. However, you should inform your doctor or pharmacist that you are using guai. It is not advised to go off your meds when you start taking guaifenesin. Later on down the road, after you have been on the protocol for awhile, you might want to try to eliminate or reduce the meds that you are taking. A lot of people do it this way. Most prescription medications do not contain salicylates. Salicylates occur most frequently in over-the-counter medications.

Jude
  6. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

I just saw this. You are our resident expert when it comes to salicylates.

I did as you suggest. I was on Morphine for the pain until the Guai kicked in enough so that I could stop taking it or only take it now and then.

Love, Mikie