"Prescription Pill Intervention"

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by TigerLilea, Sep 26, 2009.

1. TigerLilea

TigerLilea Active Member

On Tuesday, September 29, 2009, Dr. Oz is doing a special on Oprah about prescription drugs.

>>>Are you or someone you know addicted to prescription pills? Dr. Oz is back with a special report on what he calls "the most underappreciated problem in America." <<<

I'm wondering how this show will affect people who rely on pain meds?? While I definitely agree that there is a serious problem with over-prescribing of pharma drugs, how will this affect FM patients in the future?
    [This Message was Edited on 09/26/2009]
  2. TigerLilea

TigerLilea Active Member

FM is considered to be a neurological illness; the brain is perceiving pain that shouldn't be there. You have been very fortunate that your FM responded to supplements. For most people with FM, that isn't the case. They don't have any other choice but to take prescription drugs and hope that it will, at the very least, blunt some of the pain that they are in.
  3. jole

jole Member

I can't do without my pain meds....it's either take them or not function at all, and I choose to function as well as possible (which still is little). But I certainly understand what you're saying, and I do get upset at people who don't understand the pain of others.

Because I take pain meds does not mean I do not try to better myself in other ways. Even though supplements are mostly "natural", I am unable to tolerate most of them. Just as some meds work for some people and not for others, many of the supplements are the same.

My tests have come back normal for thyroid, etc. and evidently I haven't found the right answer yet, but until then, I'll take my meds to function or I'd be totally bedridden.

I am happy for those who have a lesser form of FM, or who have been able to control it or lessen their symptoms, and I know there are many who have..........I'm still trying...........and I think many docs already have the notion that we don't need meds, just psychs. Not true....Jole
  4. TigerLilea

TigerLilea Active Member

>>>pain and MSM and DE help me a lot...and I still do take aspirin daily...some days can now take less.<<<

What you describe above sounds more like arthritis rather than FM.
  5. Janalynn

Janalynn New Member

Yes you have to remember, that Jamin you have said yourself that you're not even sure that you have FM so it's hard really to compare your pain to some of us that have pain that you may not be able to imagine. An aspirin a day would be like popping an M & M to most of us.
    The other things you mentioned may in addition to what you battle daily - as many people do.
    IF there was a root cause that we could find, believe me, we would all know about it, hear about it, could be easily fixed.

FM is NOT athritis. FM does not have inflammation. It is a pain like no other. We all have aches and pains, especially as we age. Many of us have pain that severely interferes with our qualify of life, and even a strong pain medication STILL doesn't help, sometimes keeps us in bed, wanting only to go to sleep to escape from what is happening to us, keeps us from missing out on our kid's special school functions - it's like watching the world go by.

It is not surprising to me that MSM taken daily for you in particular would be especially beneficial for pain, since the most you require is an aspirin.

I believe that supplements are great and can help one's health in many different ways. I must say I am a bit skeptical that one in particular (or even a combo) can suddenly help with the pathways to our brain that are obviously misfiring pain signals - helping Fibro in particular. Can they help you feel good in other ways, absolutely!
    I just think that sometimes, there are mixed messages coming across here.

I think that -and I can only speak for myself- that one of the toughest parts of this darn thing is that there are SO many people that do want to be helpful and offer their advice and suggestions. To them, if you don't take it, it's almost like, you don't want to get better. The old saying, "if I had a dime for everytime ....." Well, I'd certainly have a healthy bank account.

Many of us need something NOW. We don't have two weeks to wait. Can you imagine being run over? that's what my legs and hips feel like. Crushed bones.

Have you considered seeing a Dr. again, since it's been 10 years since a Dr. thought you might have FM back then? Do you exhibit any of the other symptoms that that are indicadent of FM, that are different from your OA?

I think you are SO fortunate that you are able to manage what pain you do have with aspirin and that the supplements you take are working for you. I respect that you are taking control of your life and your health! As a matter of fact I think it's fantastic.

For most of us, FM is a big mystery with symptoms that we're trying to manage daily until they can figure out a cure. Yep, many of us need prescription pain medication. It's a need. We need support here, nothing less. Do we want medication ? We dont want to have FM! What we want is something to help us get out of bed, or to work, or to see our kids, or go to their school play, to visit our Moms, to get a load of laundry done, to get a dinner on the table, to make it through the evening without crying.

Two different stories. One who gets by on an aspirin and the rest who need more for some quality of life.
    If you truly have FM, then I envy you.

6. TigerLilea

TigerLilea Active Member

Fibromyalgia is considered a rheumatic condition because it impairs the joints and/or soft tissues and causes chronic pain. However, FM is not truly a form of arthritis (a disease of the joints) because it does not cause inflammation or damage to the joints, muscles, or other tissues. The treatments for FM is much different than the treatment for arthritis.
  7. gapsych

gapsych New Member

My doctor told me that FM is a neurological disease and in the future will probably will be treated by neurologist.

I don't think it is in the arthritis family but now you have me curious and need to look that up. Maybe it is the rheumatic family as that is where the pain seems to come from.

In arthritis the pain is from the actual damage or inflammation in the joints. In FM the pain is our brain telling us we have pain. Kind of like phantom pain though there is nothing phantom about it.

To make things more confusing arthritis, like any other stressor, can cause FM if you are predisposed to get FM.

Basically it is genetic, plus a stressor. My fm started with a broken arm.

It is so confusing as it has many symptoms that appear to be like arthritis, except FM is not in the joints. It is kind of like Lyme. Distinct conditions but Lyme can be the initial stressor that starts FM.

This is my take on it. If I left anything out or wrote misinformation, someone can add to this.

ETA Before the FM I was not on any meds. except for thyroid and was someone who questioned people's reliance on prescription drugs. How the mighty (me) have fallen.[This Message was Edited on 09/26/2009]
  8. SnooZQ

SnooZQ New Member

I do agree with you that there may be some concern for many people who suffer chronic pain unresponsive to anything other than Rx meds. The pendulum of medical opinion does tend to swing back and forth on many issues.

Having said that, most of us rely on our personal experience with a disease as a guide for what that disease is like. But some diseases, especially those that don't have a lot of diagnostic criteria (like fibro), can have more than one sort of presentation.

I recently discovered an extremely interesting article on FM, right here on the Pro Health website. The article is fairly short, but I did find it quite enlightening.

The title of the article is "The Fibromyalgia Spectrum," by Mark Pellegrino, M.D.

It's not too hard to dig this article up in the ProHealth library. Here's the cut and paste link: http://www.prohealth.com//library/showArticle.cfm?libid=13042

After reading this article and trying to digest what Dr. Pellegrino has to say, I'm afraid I do have to disagree with you on one thing. Maybe not all fibro is best treated with Rx meds.

Though perhaps, for some types of fibro, that is all there is.

Best wishes.
  9. Janalynn

Janalynn New Member

I know that years ago (25+), when I started having SEVERE knee pain, couldn't even go up the stairs without crawling, they did xrays to make sure I didn't have any inflammation ruling out arthritis.

I know that the main symptom of FM is PAIN. One of the reasons the some Dr.s may not believe that regular pain meds don't work well for us is how they bind to our pain receptors. Not that they are 'bad' for us. The Dr's I know believe in getting patients out of pain. period. They may not work as well as those with another condition per se in some FM patients. We may need more in some cases to get the same results.

FM is not IN the joints. I would have sworn it was my knee joints, but was explained to me that it is everything around those joints. I also would have sworn my pain was in my bones. No, it's everything around my bones.

I am not one who developed FM from a traumatic event nor is it in my family. I've had those growing pains since a child and aching legs ever since. I have always had the 'fight or flight' response or feelings - I can remember several instances.

So far all of the Dr's I've seen, independant of each other, have all said the same thing - like you did Gap - it's neurological - it's in the pathways to the brain.
    If "cleaning out your blood for years" can truly change that, then that is incredible.
  10. gapsych

gapsych New Member

Have you been checked for Restless Legs Syndrome? I had what was called "growing pains" when I was in my teens. Turns out it was RLS but not formally diagnosed until I was in my forties.

I don't think most were "growing pains" as I am short!!! :>)

ETA Yes the pain around the joints can certainly make it seem as if it is coming from out joints.

Tramadol has been very helpful for my pain. I think it binds in a different part of the brain.

11. loto

loto Member

I, too, rely on my prescription meds to function. I stopped feeling "guilty" for regularly taking my pain med, whether I had pain at the time, or not. I find if I take it regularly, I will keep the "edge" off of terrible pain.
    Sometimes the pain breaks through anyway, but I know it will be worse without the med.

12. Spacey

Spacey Member

I take supplements, Vit D, MSM, Salmon Oil Tried Grapseed oil for a while. It doesn't change anything for me. It doesn't make anything better. Iv'e had this since I was a child. It is very neurological for me. Soft tissue also means muscles, tendons, ligaments. I have seen a arthritis doctor a few times, I have Osteo Arthritis and that pain is different from many of the other kinds of pain. I believe there are many kinds with FM. I take different kinds of meds and it is necessary. Sleeping even with meds doesn't always go well. Everyday is different. I wish supplements would help, but to suggest that it will take most of a persons pain away is wishful thinking. Thanks