Prescriptions for Sleep

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by ericdinbstn, Aug 28, 2006.

1. ericdinbstn

ericdinbstn New Member

Hello everyone. I've been on zanaflex for about six months now. Two before bed. When I first started to take them, they knocked me out. Now two does nothing. Four on the other hand... But I'm worried about increasing dosage by myself. I have an appointment with the doc tomorrow. Has anyone had good results with prescription sleep aids, Lunesta, Ambien, etc. I've been taking OTC sleep aids and I need like six of 'em to even do anything. I don't want it to get to a point where I have to take like half a bottle to go to sleep. I know this is a bit of a ramble, but your perspectives are always helpful. Thanks, in advance.

Eric
  2. lovethesun

lovethesun New Member

but each pill reacts differntly in each person.Amitripiline is supposed to be a great sleep aid for fibro but on me it revved me up like 25 cups of coffee would!Linda
  3. kaymac

kaymac New Member

I am one of the few I think that take Zanaflex. I've been on about 5 months now. My doc switched me from Trazadone. Trazadone I was on for a couple of years, but it got to hard to get up in mornings, it left me groggy even after cutting my dose back.

How many mg of Zalaflex are you taking? I know the initial dose didn't help me, but then they doubled mine. I do wake up sometimes, but back to sleep. I also like it because I do not feel groggy or hungover in morning.

kaymac
  4. millennia

millennia New Member

Lunesta, Ambien, Restoril, I've tried everything. Either they work for a few nights, then they just stop working or they never work. Unfortunately my current prescription coverage is rather limited, so I can't try a lot of stuff. Good luck finding one that works for you!
  5. mme_curie68

mme_curie68 New Member

Mixing unapproved high doses of a prescription muscle relaxant and an over the counter sleep aid can be extremely dangerous.

The maximum daily dose in the prescribing info. for Xanaflex is stated as 36 mg/day - but Warnings/Precautions state "limited clinical experience at 8 to 16 mg single doses" or "24 to 36 mg" total daily doses".

There are other drugs out there that can cause non-addictive sedation, most of them fall into the "psych. med." categories, like amitryptiline or trazodone and there are also the prescription sleep aids.

I would urge you to talk with your doctor and be honest and say that the two pills are no longer working and that you know you shouldn't mix medications etc. and could they please help you find an alternative that will get you the sleep that you need.

Hugs,
    Madame Curie
  6. hob

hob New Member

I take flexril ( a muscle relaxer) at night and it really helps me. I don't have as much ache when I wake up and I sleep really well. Just another idea :)
  7. minxlinx

minxlinx New Member

primarily for sleep:

12 mg zanaflex
    150 mg imipramine
    3 mg lunesta
    30 mg restoril
    2 mg levorphanol (this was the only one not specifically for sleep)

It didn't really help. I would still wake up after only an hour or two. And I don't even know how many other things I tried, including ambien and trazadone.

Good luck finding something that works for you!

Ariel
  8. JLH

JLH New Member

Eric,

I also take Zanaflex. I take 3 of the 2 mg tablets and they seem to help. I have had the doc to tell me that I can take 5 tablets if I'm really bad off.

Have you had a sleep study done? Sounds like you need one.

I did and found out that I have obstructive sleep apnea -- which caused my congestive heart failure.

I now sleep with a CPAP machine and oxygen.

and sleep around 10-12 hours a night!!

Hugs,
    jlh
  9. ericdinbstn

ericdinbstn New Member

Thanks everyone for the responses. I have had a few sleep studies done. I do have mild sleep apnea, but I refuse to go on the CPAP machine. It makes me feel like I'm suffocating and I can't get to sleep with it on my face. Foolish, perhaps, but until they come up with a better treatment I can't do it.

I had an appointment with the rheumy yesterday. He put me on 3mg of Lunesta, I tried it last night along with 12mg of Zanaflex and it did the trick. He also gave me 200mg of Provigil to help on the other end with energy.

I've started back to the gym. Very slowly. The doc gave me a very measured regimen to follow. I'm gonna try that. I also ordered the Fibro supplements package from Prohealth. Anyone use that? I'm hoping these steps will help improve the situation and hopefully lead to fewer pills popped in the long run.

Thanks again, everyone for your responses. Everyone on here is always so helpful.

Eric
  10. melwargo

melwargo New Member

Sleeping pills only helped me for a while then I got used to them- "Ambien". Trazadone wired me up. I have been taking 1mg of Kolonipin (sp?) for almost 2 years and I now sleep at least 6.5-8 hours. Some doctors don't want to give this out because of the dependence issue. Other well known CFS and FMS doctors highly recommend it-
  11. JewelRA

JewelRA New Member

I've been taking it every night for several months now. There is some debate as to whether this is one you should take long-term, but for me it works so I'm sticking with it.

It's also a little on the pricey side, but my insurance covers it except for a co-pay.

12. RunninCrazy

RunninCrazy New Member

I take melatonin and it works. And if I REALLY need to sleep, trazadone. I start dreaming before I fall asleep!
  13. Granniluvsu

Granniluvsu Well-Known Member

Eric,

I agree that this not a good ting to be doing on your own and can be dangerous.

You might want to try generic Flexeril 10mg and Klonopin -0.5mg at bedtime. The Flexeril by itself did not work but with two together it does. I don't think it is that strong a dosage.

However as you know everyone is different and what works for one ay not work for another.

Good luck,

Graniluvsu (Marilyn)
  14. karalvd

karalvd New Member

I'm not sure if you have autoimmune problems, but you might think twice about taking melatonin if you do. I just found this out myself, but nearly all of the medical journals warn against it. I'm coming off it now, and it sucks.

;)